Jason Newsted: "GNR taught me what not to do"

His comments are not really new. He has said this on behind the music, that metal show, loudwire interviews. I don't know why he brought it up again. He's not wrong about it. Metallica is a little more professional than how guns are but they aren't perfect either. It's like kicking a dead horse. Old news, move on. 

Edited by Bailey96
  • Like 1

He's completely right just look how they treat us. They earned 200+ milion dollars on nostalgia act and they aren't decent enough to organise at least limited meet and greet on shows, or do ONE decent interview where they answer some fucking questions finally.

GNR had all potential in the world to be biggest band of their generation, but they blew it and Metallica became that fair play to them.

Edited by DexAxl
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AlexC said:

Yeah it's James and Lars who are considered tools. Kirk is lovely as is Rob and I've never heard anyone say that Jason was a dick. I don't know any of them obviously but that's what 'they' say.

James is a worthless piece of human garbage who only deserves bad things in life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

My exs family was from Battle Creek MI and some knew him from high school. I hear he is doing more than fine financially. 

Jason has always been kind of reclusive, I doubt he regrets his choice

I heard him on Eddie Trunk last year and he got a little into his finances. Talked about losing money on his Newsted project and about the Black album still selling well. He only talked a about it because Eddie kept irritating him. 

As far as this interview goes, you can tell he has issues with the GNR guys. It seems pretty understandable after what they went thru on that tour. Just because we love GNR doesn't mean he isn't right. 

Edited by Tourettes2400
  • Like 1

I love Jason. It's kinda sad that he had nothing nice to say about the whole tour or about any members of the band but it's hard to argue what he says.

That said, just because Metallica were more professional, doesn't mean they're nicer people. I believe Jason is a nice guy (always heard about how great he is to his fans) but James and Lars... if James was a decent human being, Jason would still be kicking ass with Metallica and I'd still get to enjoy his amazing backing vocals.

4 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I thought part of the reason he quit was to get away from the stress of being in an extremely popular band? Club scene is a lot more laid back. Doubt he is jealous of the current GN'R tour. 

No. The reason he quit was because James wouldn't let him play in a side project. He gave him an ultimatum. Either give up the side project or leave Metallica. And he left.

He is not wrong with his comments, but does come of a bit bitter. And too much black or white thinking. It worked all out tor GNR in the end.

4 hours ago, tsinindy said:

He quit because James specifically  was an abusive asshole and creatively he had no input.

Hmm well. James was an alcohlic back then.

2 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Jason/Metallica trotted out the same "what NOT to do" BS on the Metallica "Behind The Music"- and to me it always made Guns seem like an authentically dangerous band and Metallica like a bunch of industry boot licking squares (and I like Metallica).

Why is it so desireable that a band is "dangerous", especially when it only means pissing on your fans and not being reliable?!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexC said:

But it's just funny that he's still bitter after 25 years. He left the biggest gig you could get and now he's playing clubs, that's why he's bitter. Meanwhile GN'R is earning a fuckload which was also obviously what he was asked about in the first place, their current tour. 

Who says he's still bitter? He was doing an interview and gets asked about GnR, so he gives his opinion about his experiences with them... should he have lied and talked about how smooth it all went down?

Also, he walked away from Metallica because James didn't like him being in another band at the same time... those guys in Metallica were always weird about that, that's why the bandmembers never really did anything musically outside of the band.

Edited by EvanG

2 hours ago, AlexC said:

Yeah it's James and Lars who are considered tools. Kirk is lovely as is Rob and I've never heard anyone say that Jason was a dick. I don't know any of them obviously but that's what 'they' say.

Yes. And Jason had to endure a lot when he joined the band after Cliff's death. They made him earn his spot and he was their whipping boy for years, having to suffer through all kinds of insults. They were total dicks to him, trying to get over Clifff's death and resenting him in Cliff's place, hence no bass on Justice for all.

Edited by PatrickS77

5 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. And Jason had to endure a lot when he joined the band after Cliff's death. They made him earn his spot and he was their whipping boy for years, having to suffer through all kinds of insults. They were total dicks to him, trying to get over Clifff's death.

Yeah I know. But, I don't know how much of that was just hazing as opposed to actual abuse. He stayed through it all so it can't have been that bad. (Other than being inaudible on ...And Justice For All)

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Why is it so desireable that a band is "dangerous", especially when it only means pissing on your fans and not being reliable?!

The dangerous/unpredictable "aura" has fueled an enduring interest in the band despite their "legendary" material being released in a 3.5 year time frame (which Jason is exactly right about). Whether it's positive or negative depends on the individual beholder/consumer I guess. With Guns selling out stadiums globally  30 years on it does seem to prove that there are multiple "Roads to Rome" though and not just the "safer" one Jason/Metallica trod (more power to them- they are a wildly successful outfit). So why not ditch the sanctimonious lecture Jason?

Perhaps there is an additional level of "F U!" to all this from some of our perspectives b/c the "Behind The Music" segment in question basically built up to the proposition that Guns had been "erased from history" (paging Lonn Friend...). Lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Newsted has nothing nice to say about anyone in the band from that era :lol:

"Whatever time homeboy decided to get on stage, or whatever time his psychic allowed him on stage"  :P  

Jason is exactly right. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I thought part of the reason he quit was to get away from the stress of being in an extremely popular band? Club scene is a lot more laid back. Doubt he is jealous of the current GN'R tour. 

And im pretty sure he managed his money well with the amount of $$$$ he was earning with shitallica. The dude wasn't married or had any personal commitments so sure he managed his money well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. And Jason had to endure a lot when he joined the band after Cliff's death. They made him earn his spot and he was their whipping boy for years, having to suffer through all kinds of insults. They were total dicks to him, trying to get over Clifff's death and resenting him in Cliff's place, hence no bass on Justice for all.

I think Jason earned more credibility leaving then the type of album metallica released in 2004.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AlexC said:

"What not to do."

Yet Guns have just made $230M and their tour isn't even over. Jason now plays clubs... Maybe he should re-evaluate the lessons he thinks he's learned.

yeah man, i dont understand how a loser that plays clubs can even have an opinion.

what world are we leaving when people like that are allowed to have an opinion that is different from the winners opinion!

Right?

obvioulsy the winners axl slash obviously make 230 gazzillions of dollars and they are winners (and their tour isnt even over, you haters and losers!!!)

and they are winning!

and they make a lot of money!

and they are obviously right.

About. Every. Thing.

Right?

14 hours ago, Sosso said:

I wonder how much money he earned for this interview. 

I'm disappointed about this comments 

oh he surely got paid to do that interview. it was likely izzy who paid him. yeah. that sounds pretty obvious now that you mentioned.

this is obviously an earning-money interview.

proof #1

Edited by ludurigan

GNR/TALLICA tour was a Slash and Lars thing, they used to suck their dicks together, I mean... I love guns...and I love Metallica dude... and after a shots of Jack daniels they decided to go on tour, the biggest show on earth back in the day....

But like some people have said, tallica boys were more profesional than guns used to be... I lot of egos going on in that time, they were the biggest bands in the world in the 90´s

and since Jason left metallica.... something is wrong with them, is not the same. For me Rob is a great player but he doesn´t fit well with the other guys