Jason Newsted: "GNR taught me what not to do"

Can't really fault what he's saying. I think everyone in GNR around that time (with the exception of Matt Sorum who bought into the 'dangerous' Schtick) grew to feel the same way about how Axl behaved.

Of course it would teach others how not to go about their business. At the same time you can point to Some Kind of Monster to remind Jason how that worked out for him and Metallica.

48 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

Can't really fault what he's saying. I think everyone in GNR around that time (with the exception of Matt Sorum who bought into the 'dangerous' Schtick) grew to feel the same way about how Axl behaved.

That's how Matt talks about it now, but according to Mark Putterford he tried to attack Axl when he showed up late 2,5 hours in Dallas in 1991 because he was fed up with his bullshit.

Something really hit a nerve with this guy and I think I can tell exactly what it is. Jealousy. The amount of venom and spite in his voice and face is laughable. Fuck this guy. 

Anyone listen to Lars on Stern??? He has six men to "strech him out for three hours" on a table before each show and uhhh eats oat pancakes prepared by a chef. 

Metallica is a great band with an amazing track record but they will NEVER go down in rock like GNR. And to trash talk GNR relentlessly says more about them than it does about Guns. 

What a tool. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ramsey said:

Metallica is a great band with an amazing track record but they will NEVER go down in rock like GNR. And to trash talk GNR relentlessly says more about them than it does about Guns. 

You mean they will never go down as a band that barely released any music like GnR? You're right about that.

I don't know why some people here have such a problem with this guy speaking the truth. You guys act like he's talking about your family.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

You mean they will never go down as a band that barely released any music like GnR? You're right about that.

I don't know why some people here have such a problem with this guy speaking the truth. You guys act like he's talking about your family.

Why are you on this forum? It's breakfast time. Go to lars and get some vegan oat pancakes made by his fourth chef

Give me a break metallica is a genre act and nothing more

I dig them but the bitter shit they've put out to the media through the whole NITL tour is jealousy bc they know guns has less of a catalogue and STILL knocks them out

Just now, ramsey said:

Why are you on this forum? It's breakfast time. Go to lars and get some vegan oat pancakes made by his fourth chef

Give me a break metallica is a genre act and nothing more

I dig them but the bitter shit they've put out to the media through the whole NITL tour is jealousy bc they know guns has less of a catalogue and STILL knocks them out

It's not breakfast time here, buddy. Not everyone lives in America... (fortunately)

I'm not even a Metallica fan and I'm not debating their music, but I'm able to admit when someone states the truth, which is the case here.

• Like 1

Newsted is 100% right.  Anyone trying to say he's sour or bitter or jealous is delusional. The guy is simply calling a spade a spade. 

Edited by Bono
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, ramsey said:

Something really hit a nerve with this guy and I think I can tell exactly what it is. Jealousy. The amount of venom and spite in his voice and face is laughable. Fuck this guy. 

Anyone listen to Lars on Stern??? He has six men to "strech him out for three hours" on a table before each show and uhhh eats oat pancakes prepared by a chef. 

What a tool. 

Do Axl's balls taste salty or plain? 

• Like 3

He is so right on this one. Metallica always worked hard to stay something like a prober, funtioning band who give their fans what they want. Especially today after those yuuuge news we got, what is there to discuss? :facepalm:

Newstead is right but, as far as the "they went on late depending on when homeboy wanted to go on or whenever his psychic said" is freaking hilarious beyond belief :lol:

I mean it's true that those things happened but, they're in the past. Axl goes on time now so, Jason comes off pretty salty in the end.

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

After today's news, can anyone really disagree with Jason's assessment of this band? 100% truth in that interview.

At least Metallica gives their fans what they want. 

St. Anger snare drum? :dance:I want all of their albums re-recorded with that snare.:P

I didn't watch the video, but was he asked to comment by the reporter or did he bring up GNR on his own?

If he was asked I see absolutely nothing wrong with him answering honestly, and wouldn't really fit with the jealousy narrative going around.

I doubt he's jealous of GNR, regardless of how much money they make. I mean, I'm not jealous of GNR, but I tend to agree with his sentiments. Axl burned a lot of bridges, and people had plenty of good reasons to dislike him. He's making up some ground nowadays, but I doubt he will ever fully mend his reputation in the industry.

2 hours ago, Bono said:

Newsted is 100% right.  Anyone trying to say he's sour or bitter or jealous is delusional. The guy is simply calling a spade a spade. 

This!

I mean, is he talking trash about my fav band, the band i love? Sure..

But that doesn't turn it into a lie

I'm really curious what exactly went down behind the scenes on this tour. The bitterness from Jason makes it almost seem like we all heard a really sanitized version of what really happened on that tour. It sounds to me like he saw stuff from GnR that was really shocking and loathsome (beyond the riot stuff). 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

I'm really curious what exactly went down behind the scenes on this tour. The bitterness from Jason makes it almost seem like we all heard a really sanitized version of what really happened on that tour. It sounds to me like he saw stuff from GnR that was really shocking and loathsome (beyond the riot stuff). 

Cannibalism? Ritual murdering? Church burning? :blink: