Jason Newsted: "GNR taught me what not to do"

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Newsted wrote Blackened and My Friend Misery, both of which are superior than anything Metallica have recorded since Newsted left.

Indeed, Blackened is a masterpiece, lost count of how many times I've watched the Seattle 89 performance of that song.

Gotta love the people claiming Newsted can't play and lacks charisma :lol:

23 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Newstead thought that his failed Echobrain project could hurt Metallica's success and that Hetfield wasn't happy about that.

Huh? Newsted didn't imagine that he was given an ultimatum to choose between bands. That happened.

LOL at the pissed off and angry fanboys here turning to insults for Newsted.

Edited by PatrickS77

56 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Huh? Newsted didn't imagine that he was given an ultimatum to choose between bands. That happened.

Yah, man just another example of revisionist history that frequently occurs around here.  

• Like 1

People definitely underate being controversial, causing trouble and breaking up at your peak. Getting those 10 hits on the board early didn't hurt either. Then they disappear, it's basically the perfect career with CD covering the feud years. 

I'm not really up on Metallica but I feel like they have 3 hits that are really well known, maybe 2. Enter Sandman and One is all I know. 

I feel like they should have split like Guns after Reload. Then they could have made more of a splash coming back. Ideas from all these albums over the years might have made a great reunion record. 

It's crazy Guns put out a Best of in  1999, it's still a good shot at the Best too. And GH in 2004. Metallica have been flogging away for no reason it seems. Every record just makes them seem less. Either remakes or nostalgia tinged. Might as well have just gone full nostalgia cash grab fuck you tour. 

On 6/2/2017 at 5:03 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Newsted wrote Blackened and My Friend Misery, both of which are superior than anything Metallica have recorded since Newsted left.

With Hetfield and Urlich

On 6/3/2017 at 8:47 AM, PatrickS77 said:

Never liked Newsted. Has nothing to do with liking GnR.  Of how dysfunctional GnR was back then.  Seeing Newstead live, hearing his interviews, hearing his solo shit...all shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tremolo said:

How does that refute in any way what Jason said?

It doesn't, there's absolutely no connection or co-relation between what he said and what you are saying. You just missed the "Jason's mom is fat and ugly" and "Axl's dad could beat up Jason's dad" to make your point complete.

GNR were a mess back then, a very disfunctional band of drunks, junkies, coke heads and a crazy singer with his head way too deep up his own ass. We all know that as a fact.

Jason just gave his opinion of the time he shared touring with GNR. What happens backstage is irrelevant, what matters is what went on on stage, and it's completely understandable if he doesn't have fond memories of back then.

Yeah but the way he presents his answer goes beyond criticising their actions of 25 years ago. He then goes on to say that GN'R are no longer currently successful as a result compared to Metallica. Even if that were true (which it obviously isn't) it wouldn't have anything to do with their behaviour on the Use Your Illusion tour.

People turn up in thousands to see GN'R in spite of their bad behaviour of the past. His answer and reasoning behind "learning what not to do" is just silly and makes no sense. Nor does it have any correlation with either bands current status of success. 

He comes across as salty and out of touch.

On 5/24/2017 at 1:11 PM, GNRfan2008 said:

I thought part of the reason he quit was to get away from the stress of being in an extremely popular band? Club scene is a lot more laid back. Doubt he is jealous of the current GN'R tour. 

He left purely left Metallica because he got picked on by James and Lars. Had no say about ANYTHING. If anyone wants to talk about a hired hand, it's Jason Newstead. Metallica lost the best thrash bassist ever, and Newstead was never accepted by the band, according to him. He comes off as whiney little bitch. If Hetfield picked on him so badly you'd think he would have nutted up at least one time and try and beat Hetfields pompous ass. But he didn't even try when he quit. Scared little girl. Has no business discussing anyone in Guns. To much of a little girl.

Edited by ll_tj1
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2017 at 0:02 PM, moreblack said:

That's laughable. He was electric on stage.

I cant tell if your serious or if thats sarcasm. Newstead is an excellent bass player. But electric??? No. Cliff Burton was electric.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:11 PM, GNRfan2008 said:

I thought part of the reason he quit was to get away from the stress of being in an extremely popular band? Club scene is a lot more laid back. Doubt he is jealous of the current GN'R tour. 

"the stress of being in an extremely popular band".   LOL