Your favourite line-ups

Sosso

40 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Angus, Malcolm, Bon, Cliff, Phil

Angus, Malcolm, Brian, Cliff, Phil

Even though Chris is my favourite AC/DC drummer, those two are the definitive and most important line-ups.

This thread is not about the line-up with the most output. It's about the favourite line-up, which is a personal opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

This thread is not about the line-up with the most output. It's about the favourite line-up, which is a personal opinion.

So what exactly is wrong with listing my two preferred lineups and stating why I'll take those even though it doesn't include my favorite drummer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

So what exactly is wrong with listing my two preferred lineups and stating why I'll take those even though it doesn't include my favorite drummer?

i don't see anything wrong with it. i didn't see your post, thought it was about people saying one lineup was better because they made more records than other lineups...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i don't see anything wrong with it. i didn't see your post, thought it was about people saying one lineup was better because they made more records than other lineups...

For me it's more like those two in particular recorded my top four or five albums so by default they're kind of my favorite "whole package" whereas my favorite drummer in particular is certainly Slade simply because I like the way he plays the songs. In this case the output does affect my favorite lineup only because poor Slade wouldn't have any tunes to play otherwise. ;)

• Like 2

I actually like Simon Wright's drum style. Who Made Who and Blow Up Your Video - both albums have awesome drums tracks. I know that some of the fans doesn't like the way he plays the hi-hat but I have to disagree with that. It's probably just my personal preference. 

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I actually like Simon Wright's drum style. Who Made Who and Blow Up Your Video - both albums have awesome drums tracks. I know that some of the fans doesn't like the way he plays the hi-hat but I have to disagree with that. It's probably just my personal preference. 

I like his drumming on his own stuff. I think he was also the first AC/DC drummer to actually use the ride cymbal for more than just a tap or a crash (since he rides on it for the chorus of Who Made Who). I just find I don't like his fills all that much on the classics (and of course the way he plays his hi-hat, but that's more of a nitpick than anything).

22 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I like his drumming on his own stuff. I think he was also the first AC/DC drummer to actually use the ride cymbal for more than just a tap or a crash (since he rides on it for the chorus of Who Made Who). I just find I don't like his fills all that much on the classics (and of course the way he plays his hi-hat, but that's more of a nitpick than anything).

Detroit '83 and RIR I 1985 are two of my favourite concerts with him. I always hoped for a official release. I'm glad that some of the songs from Detroit '83 are available on Plug Me In.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Detroit '83 and RIR I 1985 are two of my favourite concerts with him. I always hoped for a official release. I'm glad that some of the songs from Detroit '83 are available on Plug Me In.

I probably listen to that Detroit version of Guns For Hire more than the studio version. And yeah, RIR 1985 is immense.

7 hours ago, James Bond said:

For me it's more like those two in particular recorded my top four or five albums so by default they're kind of my favorite "whole package" whereas my favorite drummer in particular is certainly Slade simply because I like the way he plays the songs. In this case the output does affect my favorite lineup only because poor Slade wouldn't have any tunes to play otherwise. ;)

my favorite line ups are any that played with Bon. that man was incredible! i watch the old concerts on YouTube and each time i am just mesmerized by Bon...there was one part where Bon was doing this little dance and Angus came and blocked my view and i was yelling at my laptop get out of the way Angus! Bon posse rocks! :headbang:

It is not a question of productivity but quality. Back in Black aside, those two line-ups with Bon and Phil contain all of AC/DC's truly great albums: Let There Be Rock, Powerage, Highway to Hell, etc. The band were unbelievably sleazy in those days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is not a question of productivity but quality. Back in Black aside, those two line-ups with Bon and Phil contain all of AC/DC's truly great albums: Let There Be Rock, Powerage, Highway to Hell, etc. The band were unbelievably sleazy in those days.

i totally agree and love your way of thinking! :)

Angus, Malcolm, Bon, Cliff and Phil. With Angus, Malcolm, Brian, Cliff and Phil as an extremely close second. Both for the same reasons @James Bond stated. They produced the most iconic albums.

I do think the Axl/DC lineup kicks ass though and I actually prefer Axl's versions of a few Brian songs over the originals. But superior vocals isn't nearly enough to come close to the history of the classic lineups.

Edited by AlexC
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Angus, Malcolm, Bon, Cliff and Phil. With Angus, Malcolm, Brian, Cliff and Phil as an extremely close second. Both for the same reasons @James Bond stated. They produced the most iconic albums.

I do think the Axl/DC lineup kicks ass though and I actually prefer Axl's versions of a few Brian songs over the originals. But superior vocals isn't nearly enough to come close to the history of the classic lineups.

i prefer Axl's version of all Brian's songs :P ( ducking ) but i prefer all Bon songs over Axl's versions. not by a whole lot and i think Axl singing AC/DC is great but Bon was it. Bon posse! :headbang:

• Like 1

Brian's vocals were fantastic in the 70's (with Geordie), 80's and early 90's but declined since then. It was just a pain to listen recent live performances of songs like Shoot To Thrill or Thunderstruck. 

Angus, Malcolm, Bon, Mark, Phil, only because they produced my favorite AC/DC album: Let There Be Rock

Close second goes to Angus, Malcolm, Bon, Cliff, Phil for Powerage & Highway To Hell

Edited by DTV88
typos
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Angus, Malcolm, Brian, Mark, Phil, only because they produced my favorite AC/DC album: Let There Be Rock

Close second goes to Angus, Malcolm, Brian, Cliff, Phil for Powerage & Highway To Hell

Wrong singer

• Like 1