Black Hole Sun

10 hours ago, Original said:

I'm only allowed 10 likes per day so I can't like this.  Axl did a fine job....he's what 55.  In his younger years he woulda probably 'outshined' Cornell on that.   

I think they were pretty much the same age.

1 hour ago, Bono said:

By simple google search find me the time Guns N Roses paid tribute to him. Thanks.  Also that's fine if you don't see the point in GnR paying tribute to a man who was a major player in the same 90s music scene that Cornell was and who also played in Slash and Duff's(2/3 of this GnR reunion) band for 4+ years. You're right. What's the point. Like I said, the fact they couldn't do this, the fact they can't even squeeze a VR song or a Slash solo song into the set yet play the CD material and tribute Chris by playing a A Soundgarden song(not just a simple dedication) says to me there is a conscious effort to ignore the work Slash and Duff did outside of GnR. No different than when Axl for a time tried to act as if Slash and Duff never existed in the GnR world. 

What is your point? Why would Axl on GNR show pay tribute to Scott 5 months after he died when people who needed to do that like Slash already did it, Axl and GNR doesn't have any relations with him except that on some point Scott played in a band with some of the members. Also this is GUNS N ROSES TOUR and CD is GNR album, of course they don't play Slash or Duff solo stuff I've never seen a band touring and playing songs from members solo projects. Well Chris Cornell was their friend and nice guy they all loved him and has nice history with GNR. On other hand it's questionable how much Slash and Duff actually respect Scott who was an asshole and got fired from VR and even his own band STP because drugs destroyed his brain and he couldn't be a decent human being.

Edited by DexAxl

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

:lol: What's this obsession with rasp all the time? Some songs don't require rasp, they'd sound fucking stupid!

I

Because the voice he uses in it's place is cringe-worthy.. I would have loved to share the video on facebook but not with that voice.. I only post sit that will make them look good.

• Like 1

Black Hole Sun was amazing last night. I honestly think there is a big difference in being there and what you hear on a phone. The dynamics of the whole band are void on a phone. Being there was poignant and powerful with that huge natural reverb ringing round the Irish countryside. 

Edited by Izzymacbeth
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bono said:

By simple google search find me the time Guns N Roses paid tribute to him. Thanks.  Also that's fine if you don't see the point in GnR paying tribute to a man who was a major player in the same 90s music scene that Cornell was and who also played in Slash and Duff's(2/3 of this GnR reunion) band for 4+ years. You're right. What's the point. Like I said, the fact they couldn't do this, the fact they can't even squeeze a VR song or a Slash solo song into the set yet play the CD material and tribute Chris by playing a A Soundgarden song(not just a simple dedication) says to me there is a conscious effort to ignore the work Slash and Duff did outside of GnR. No different than when Axl for a time tried to act as if Slash and Duff never existed in the GnR world. 

Slither was in the alt setlist for a while. Then it was gone for whatever reasons, but I don't think it would have been there in the first place without Axl having agreed.

But in general, with the exception of the Freddie Mercury concert (and Todd Crew in the early days), I don"t remember Axl paying tribute like that to another musician that passed away ever before. It seems that there is something special about Chris' case and it's more than that they all knew him, liked him,  had toured with him, Slash had worked with him , Axl was a big fan of him as a singer etc; I think that, as far as Axl goes, it has to do with the way Chris died - it's something he relates to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You have to be kidding? Rose is wheezing and not hitting any of the notes! The guitar solo consisted of aimless widdling. The whole thing plods.

It plods? It's a slow, understated song to begin with. That's pretty much what the guitar solo in the song is like. Also, those are pretty shite mobile phone recordings, the sound in general isn't great. It sounded absolutely fine to me.

5 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

I honestly think there is a big difference in being there and what you hear on a phone.

Absolutely spot on.

1 minute ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

Soundgarden has other songs too, why does everyone always play Black Hole Sun? Anyway it's OK.

Because everyone knows it and no one will go: OMG, A NEW SONG!!!!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bono said:

By simple Google search you can also see Scott was an absolute prick who badmouthed Axl publically, let down Duff and Slash and even his wife had mixed feelings. I've worked with assholes before and been let down by people and have been badmouthed by people who have died and have felt no need whatsoever to put flowers on their grave half a fuckin year after they croaked it. 

4 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Black Hole Sun was amazing last night. I honestly think there is a big difference in being there and what you hear on a phone. The dynamics of the whole band are void on a phone. Being there was poignant and powerful with that huge natural reverb ringing round the Irish countryside. 

It always sounds different in person. Everything is louder, bit more muddled and people singing along. What you hear recorded on the phones is a more accurate representation of what they sound like. You watch bootlegs from back in the day recorded on shitty VHS recorders and they sound great. The songs they still play good like Out Ta Get Me and Jungle still sound great on peoples phones.  Songs like PC and YCBM don't. Fact is that this line up just isn't as good. The have a few band members that don't fit and Axl's voice (of no fault of his own) just isn't what it used to be.

All that said, it is still a blast to go see them live.. Beer helps too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

By simple Google search you can also see Scott was an absolute prick who badmouthed Axl publically, let down Duff and Slash and even his wife had mixed feelings. I've worked with assholes before and been let down by people and have been badmouthed by people who have died and have felt no need whatsoever to put flowers on their grave half a fuckin year after they croaked it. 

Chris Cornell talked more crap about Axl than Scott ever did.

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Chris Cornell talked more crap about Axl than Scott ever did.

Chris told the truth about Axl, Scott attacked him on appearance etc. Axl was always a Soundgarden fan and I've never read anything about him loving STP.  Plus *5 MONTHS*. Time relevance is key. 

7 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It always sounds different in person. Everything is louder, bit more muddled and people singing along. What you hear recorded on the phones is a more accurate representation of what they sound like. You watch bootlegs from back in the day recorded on shitty VHS recorders and they sound great. The songs they still play good like Out Ta Get Me and Jungle still sound great on peoples phones.  Songs like PC and YCBM don't. Fact is that this line up just isn't as good. The have a few band members that don't fit and Axl's voice (of no fault of his own) just isn't what it used to be.

Is it more accurate though when being at the show, i.e. the sound there is the intention and watching on the phone a by product of this i.e. not the intention? 

2 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

No he didn't.

I found 3 quick examples.. Some not so harsh but none are flattering..

There were two main things: First, they had this enormous aluminum stage with catwalks, and at the end of each catwalk was a teleprompter so Axl could read the lyrics to his own songs. Which I thought was a little weird, since they only had two albums. The other thing was that you were not allowed to be in a hallway or anywhere where Axl might see you when he was walking between the dressing room and the stage... unless you were Chris Cornell. So, one day, I see a security guard walking him down this long corridor where there's no one except for me, and it's like they want me to see him. He's wearing his Axl Rose tennis shoes that say AXL ROSE on them and these teeny-tiny, painted-on red shorts, a backwards baseball cap and a fur coat that goes to the floor. And he just walks by and goes, "Hey, bro!" And that was it. At that point, it's one of those moments where you think about your life as a comic book - and this isn't really happening.

"What I remember most was Duff [McKagen] and Slash and everyone else being regular, sweet, warm guys in a rock band that just wanted to play rock music," he told the magazine. "And then, like, there was this Wizard of Oz character behind the curtain that seemed to complicate what was the most ideal situation they could ever have been in.

"They were the most successful and famous rock band on the planet. Every single show, hundreds of thousands of fans just wanted to hear songs.

"For some reason there seemed to be this obstacle in just going out and participating in that."

Rolling Stone: You toured with GUNS N' ROSES in 1991. Got a good Axl story?

Chris Cornell: "He was always hidden somewhere having a personal crisis — always. One time I was in the room when he was talking to his manager, Doug Goldstein, about wanting the Goodyear blimp for the show. I said this as a joke — even though it was true — that the Fuji blimp was the largest blimp in the world. Axl was like, 'That's it! It's gonna be the Fuji blimp!'"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

There were two main things: First, they had this enormous aluminum stage with catwalks, and at the end of each catwalk was a teleprompter so Axl could read the lyrics to his own songs. Which I thought was a little weird, since they only had two albums. The other thing was that you were not allowed to be in a hallway or anywhere where Axl might see you when he was walking between the dressing room and the stage... unless you were Chris Cornell. So, one day, I see a security guard walking him down this long corridor where there's no one except for me, and it's like they want me to see him. He's wearing his Axl Rose tennis shoes that say AXL ROSE on them and these teeny-tiny, painted-on red shorts, a backwards baseball cap and a fur coat that goes to the floor. And he just walks by and goes, "Hey, bro!" And that was it. At that point, it's one of those moments where you think about your life as a comic book - and this isn't really happening.

"What I remember most was Duff [McKagen] and Slash and everyone else being regualar, sweet, warm guys in a rock band taht just wanted to play rock music," he told the magazine. "And then, like, there was this Wizard of Oz character behind the curtain that seemed to complicate what was the most ideal situation they could ever have been in.

"They were the most successful and famous rock band on the planet. Every single show, hundreds of thousands of fans just wanted to hear songs.

"For some reason there seemed to be this obstacle in just going out and participating in that."

Chris Cornell: "He was always hidden somewhere having a personal crisis — always. One time I was in the room when he was talking to his manager, Doug Goldstein, about wanting the Goodyear blimp for the show. I said this as a joke — even though it was true — that the Fuji blimp was the largest blimp in the world. Axl was like, 'That's it! It's gonna be the Fuji blimp!'"

No where near the tirade Scott gave. Again all Chris is doing is giving an account of his experience working a tour. Where are the personal insults? No where. 

• Like 2

This is the type of thing I want to see the band do. Step outside of the comfort zone of Greatest Hits to pay homage to the fallen heroes of rock and roll. Lord knows Chris deserves the reverence. 

Last year, we came so close to getting a Prince themed show from GN'R.

There were reports last year that GN'R's Cochella setlist would be a heavy tribute to Prince. That they had rehearsed Purple Rain and others. Man, would I love to have heard that once in my life. GN'R doing Prince? Take my money right now!

For better or worse, it didn't happen. Maybe because of the saturation of Prince tributes, maybe because it was one of their "debut" performances and they knew the expectation was to play their hits, maybe because it was Cochella and it was the wrong crowd. Alas, it would have been something we would have never forgotten.

14 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Through no fault off his own? Again... short term memory syndrome. Have you forgotten how good he sounded with AC/DC? Even with GN'R on this tour, he's capable of way more than what he typically sounds like during the first few shows. It's because he doesn't rehearse enough during breaks.

It's fine for the people who don't notice or care but if I went to one of the first few shows and then watched some footage of him a few weeks later and it's rasp city I'd be slightly bemused to say the least.

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

"What I remember most was Duff [McKagen] and Slash and everyone else being regualar, sweet, warm guys in a rock band taht just wanted to play rock music," he told the magazine. "And then, like, there was this Wizard of Oz character behind the curtain that seemed to complicate what was the most ideal situation they could ever have been in.

He's saying what actually happened, hardly talking crap. Plus, those anecdotes are funny, if you can't see the humour, that's your problem.

It's hardly the same as Scott calling Axl a "fat, botox-faced, wig-wearing fuck!" along with other insults, Weiland was a complete and utter prick when he did that.

• Like 4