Black Hole Sun

19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You have to be kidding? Rose is wheezing and not hitting any of the notes! The guitar solo consisted of aimless widdling. The whole thing plods.

First of all, BHs is a mediocre song compared to GnR hits. It has this very depressing grunge sound. So, for me it was always a bit difficult to listen to this song with pleasure. 

Axl is OK on this one. The double voice with Mickey was a bad idea. Why can't Melissa sing it? 4tus solo = pointless. 

I know, it's just a tribute song. They had not had much time to improve it, but I hate it, when a band like GnR is just covering a song. Their interpretations of live and let die, wild horses and since I don't have you are good, cause they were doing it their own style. The intros with Only women bleed, Sail away sister, Mother and Video Child were awesome. Kohd and whole Lotta Rosie are perfect. 

Since there is no new material it's really a shame that Axl is not covering some VR and Slash stuff...i think all of us would be totally fine with it. And it simply makes no sense, if it's true that Axl likes some of his stuff (By the sword f.ex.)

This is the best tribute of BHs so far. Cause she is doing it her own way. 

56 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Black Hole Sun was amazing last night. I honestly think there is a big difference in being there and what you hear on a phone. The dynamics of the whole band are void on a phone. Being there was poignant and powerful with that huge natural reverb ringing round the Irish countryside. 

Agreed. My friend that I went with was a big fan of Chris and he was really blown away.

• Like 1

I thought it went well considering that was their first time. The only gripe that I have is when Axl went clean on the higher parts. I wasn't expecting 1992 Axl but there wasn't even any power behind it. It'd be cool to hear it again though

2 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

If Axl would have sung "Sailing" in 2006 without rasp, we wouldn't be talking about that awesome cover of "Sailing" GNR did in 2006, we'd be talking about that awful cover of "Sailing" GNR did in 2006

Axl's full-force voice makes the songs - he refuses to use it now for whatever reason even though he used it with ACDC all year last year.

It's only bc he has 300 shows left his year...I wouldn't expect to hear a full on performance till the arena shows. Axl is highly protective of his vocals at this stage in his career. He gets away with performances like last night bc it's live and there's no professional footage so the only people who care are the ones there. 

I have to go back and watch the Houston show for perspective...his vocals were so good at that show, not perfect but so much fuller. 

As far as Sailing goes he doesn't have those vocals anymore. They were lost after 2010. 

On the soundcheck I thought those high notes in Black Hole Sun were Melissa's...I didn't realize Axl was transitioning between two voices. Sadly I also don't feel like that high voice for Axl has enough on it to sound good. It cuts off and sounds weak, then he starts missing notes and it gets bad. 

Axl was singing better coming off his work with ACDC, the Summer NA tour was great! I don't think it did damage to his vocals, but I think he's conserving his voice for everything coming up. 

Just now, 2414225 said:

i have to agree.  norah jones… so great the way she underplays it, it puts a beautiful focus on the lyric.  so classy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I think they were pretty much the same age.

Yes.  Cornell prob has/had a better voice at this point.  I way saying Axl in his prime woulda owned that song.  Not trying to make this a big battle.  No matter it was cool and Axl did a fine job.  Hope they keep it in the set.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

He's saying what actually happened, hardly talking crap. Plus, those anecdotes are funny, if you can't see the humour, that's your problem.

It's hardly the same as Scott calling Axl a "fat, botox-faced, wig-wearing fuck!" along with other insults, Weiland was a complete and utter prick when he did that.

ok that's my problem. You are right he was saying that is what really happened. Axl was acting like a egotistic clown. He just said it in a nicer way.

2 hours ago, AlexC said:

Through no fault off his own? Again... short term memory syndrome. Have you forgotten how good he sounded with AC/DC? Even with GN'R on this tour, he's capable of way more than what he typically sounds like during the first few shows. It's because he doesn't rehearse enough during breaks.

It's fine for the people who don't notice or care but if I went to one of the first few shows and then watched some footage of him a few weeks later and it's rasp city I'd be slightly bemused to say the least.

I know how good he sounded with AC/DC and still does for some Guns songs.. There AC/DC songs where he sounded like Mickey too.. It has been discussed to death and it just seems that certain ranges he can't physically deliver.. I'd prefer the rasp too but it is what it is..

57 minutes ago, Original said:

Yes.  Cornell prob has/had a better voice at this point.  I way saying Axl in his prime woulda owned that song.  Not trying to make this a big battle.  No matter it was cool and Axl did a fine job.  Hope they keep it in the set.  

No big battle here... All said was they were basically the same age lol... I still liked it better than the original though.. The verses sounded good. That said, I never liked the song anyway and I'd rather them do another old school Gn'R song like Think About You, Nice Boys, slow temp you're crazy, Locomotive or something...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Original said:

Axl would've owned it last night if he'd have been actually singing regularly during his 2 months off. I hope they keep it in the set too or at least, play it again further into the tour. He'll definitely nail it then, especially on the high parts.

I'd much prefer them to do Rusty Cage or Jesus Christ Pose instead though, Axl would crush on either one of those.

13 minutes ago, AlexC said:

I'd much prefer them to do Rusty Cage or Jesus Christ Pose instead though, Axl would crush on either one of those.

I would think that's pretty unlikely. I think your missing the point a bit, mate. No offence.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Chris told the truth about Axl, Scott attacked him on appearance etc. Axl was always a Soundgarden fan and I've never read anything about him loving STP.  Plus *5 MONTHS*. Time relevance is key. 

I have no idea if he was a fan or not, but listen at around 9:25 to Axl's response when the DJ mentions STP in this last interview he did together with Slash.

Edited by EvanG

Am I truly reading the "cell phone video" argument again in this thread? I thought the forum was well past that!

It only leads to hypocrisy.

"It's not fair to judge Axl's voice on a recorded clip. He sounds amazing!"

That's usually how it goes. The second half of that is totally contradictory - apparently it's only okay to judge Axl's voice from recorded videos if you're going to say good things.

I think it's possible to both respect this as a tribute (and Axl actually seemed to care being that he showed up to rehearse it) as well as feel like Axl could have done better with the couple higher bits. It's a non-issue at this point. They may or may not ever do this song agin. He certainly doesn't have the same depth to his voice when he goes "Mickey" as Chris had singing those same lines, but then Axl isn't Chris nor is Chris Axl. It's pretty obvious that Axl struggles with the mid-range highs (he even did for AC/DC songs like TNT and Dirty Deeds).

It's a nice gesture and they did fine, but I am objective enough to not pretend that Axl is totally flawless on it. I do agree that in person it's always a different and better experience.

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Out of tempo? He didn't play it exact, but the general feel of the solo was there. Washy wah and a general shreddy vibe. Maybe you don't know the original.

Everyone who mentioned Richard by name or the other guitar player, were blown away. Most didn't realise that he was with the band for as long as he has been. And most just think he's a great guitar player. None of this Moaning.

For me the only guitar parts that I fell asleep for were the extended solos in rocket queen and Godfather. Unnecessary.

yeah, out of tempo, it seemed like slash and duff were playing one song and this richard dude was playing ANOTHER song

if you cant notice that, there is nothing I can do for you, because it is really obvious and stands out loud and clear

8 hours ago, EvanG said:

I really like both singers, but even in his younger days it would have been hard to 'outshine' Cornell... That guy probably was a better singer than Axl.

guns n roses outshoned every band that there ever was from 1985 to 1991 and axl outshoned every singer that ever walked on this planet during the same period

even at his "then" worse times, 1992-1994, when he clearly didnt wanna be in what was left of Guns n Roses, axl kept outshining people

evidences of GNR/axl outshining the entire rock world are abundant and include stones/jagger, aerosmith/tyler, beatles/lennon, queen/freddie and acdc/bon

i am 100% convinced that axl could outshine anyone 1985-1991, including cornell, sinatra, barry white, king diamond and even that guy from slayer -- he just couldnt help being the best singer ever

today, on this bullshit guns n aliens tour, with this bullshit clean voice, with these bullshit backing musicians, its a whole different story

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

guns n roses outshoned every band that there ever was from 1985 to 1991 and axl outshoned every singer that ever walked on this planet during the same period

even at his "then" worse times, 1992-1994, when he clearly didnt wanna be in what was left of Guns n Roses, axl kept outshining people

evidences of GNR/axl outshining the entire rock world are abundant and include stones/jagger, aerosmith/tyler, beatles/lennon, queen/freddie and acdc/bon

i am 100% convinced that axl could outshine anyone 1985-1991, including cornell, sinatra, barry white, king diamond and even that guy from slayer -- he just couldnt help being the best singer ever

today, on this bullshit guns n aliens tour, with this bullshit clean voice, with these bullshit backing musicians, its a whole different story

I don't know. It's also subjective, of course. I like GnR way more than Soundgarden, but I think Chris Cornell was a better singer than Axl. But you obviously don't have to agree.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2414225 said:

First of all, BHs is a mediocre song compared to GnR hits. It has this very depressing grunge sound. So, for me it was always a bit difficult to listen to this song with pleasure. 

Axl is OK on this one. The double voice with Mickey was a bad idea. Why can't Melissa sing it? 4tus solo = pointless. 

I know, it's just a tribute song. They had not had much time to improve it, but I hate it, when a band like GnR is just covering a song. Their interpretations of live and let die, wild horses and since I don't have you are good, cause they were doing it their own style. The intros with Only women bleed, Sail away sister, Mother and Video Child were awesome. Kohd and whole Lotta Rosie are perfect. 

Since there is no new material it's really a shame that Axl is not covering some VR and Slash stuff...i think all of us would be totally fine with it. And it simply makes no sense, if it's true that Axl likes some of his stuff (By the sword f.ex.)

yeah much better

i suppose axl could or should have done a piano and voice tribute like that?

then duff and slash could kick in during the chorus?

it should sound better and it would be a less obvious cover

===

this piano and voice idea gave me another idea

it should be a good time for the aliens to have a break?

like richard and melissa and dizzy could go on for a beer? maybe frank could join them? 

cause these guys work really hard and they are so talented that they play so many extra notes and added fills and they must be so tired to add so many creative things on the classic GNR songs and I am sure they are exhausted right now so they surely deserve a beer break during the set or something?

maybe they could do an extended break for the entire set? they surely could use a bit of a rest? maybe roadies could take the guitar and drum parts for this song? or maybe for the entire show? or the entire tour?

these alien guys work so hard and they are so talented and restless. I cant understand why is that axl dont allow them to rest for a full song or a full show or a full tour!

a full tour! they certainly deserve it!

com on axl, give it to them!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

yeah, out of tempo, it seemed like slash and duff were playing one song and this richard dude was playing ANOTHER song

if you cant notice that, there is nothing I can do for you, because it is really obvious and stands out loud and clear

It's called phrasing. Not EVERY solo starts on the 1? anyway as someone who was actually at the show and plays guitar I had absolutely no issue with it. But I know you hate Richard because "he took Izzy's job" so keep in, keeping on✌️ 

10 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

I agree. As Aerosmith said once: GnR had the torch of Rock n Roll til 1993. Even with the loss of Steven and Izzy GnR did an epic live tour. People were satisfied with Gilby and Matt. It was the perfect live rock band. Only Queen was at their level back then. 

GnRs first bad choice was NOT doing a MTV unplugged. It could have been the best MTV unplugged ever. Releasing that and a live era live album from 1993-1996 would have been the perfect choice back then. And in 1997 they should have released an album with new material. With Axl/Duff/ Izzy/Gilby/Matt back in the studio. 

Even if Axl's voice would have sucked. It would have been ok. And then GnR should have taken a break with solo projects. The perfect timing for a reunion would have been 2004. With Axl/Duff/Slash/Matt/Gilby or Kushner touring. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

yeah much better

i suppose axl could or should have done a piano and voice tribute like that?

then duff and slash could kick in during the chorus?

it should sound better and it would be a less obvious cover

===

this piano and voice idea gave me another idea

it should be a good time for the aliens to have a break?

like richard and melissa and dizzy could go on for a beer? maybe frank could join them? 

cause these guys work really hard and they are so talented that they play so many extra notes and added fills and they must be so tired to add so many creative things on the classic GNR songs and I am sure they are exhausted right now so they surely deserve a beer break during the set or something?

maybe they could do an extended break for the entire set? they surely could use a bit of a rest? maybe roadies could take the guitar and drum parts for this song? or maybe for the entire show? or the entire tour?

these alien guys work so hard and they are so talented and restless. I cant understand why is that axl dont allow them to rest for a full song or a full show or a full tour!

a full tour! they certainly deserve it!

com on axl, give it to them!

Yup, a creative Axl from the past would have done this piano only tribute with Slash and Duff stepping at the end. 

You know what's also lame... IMO Slash is also creatively blocked since he is back in GnR. He did some nice riffs for his solo stuff. The fact that he didn't even play the solo in BHS is just a side note, but this whole reunion simply doesn't sound right...its not even Axl, 4tus and Frank. Slash and Duff are also playing like employees. 

2 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

I would think that's pretty unlikely. I think your missing the point a bit, mate. No offence.

No I'm not. I'm fully aware these would never get played. I'm just expressing my opinion on other Soundgarden songs I think Axl would do well on.

I've already argued the actual point to death so this was just a positive remark to end with.

Edited by AlexC

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

It's called phrasing. Not EVERY solo starts on the 1? anyway as someone who was actually at the show and plays guitar I had absolutely no issue with it. But I know you hate Richard because "he took Izzy's job" so keep in, keeping on✌️ 

i dont hate anyone, i just think GNR is the best band ever and it keeps wasting its potential by 1) not reuniting 2) playing with people that are aliens and 3) that have nothing to do with the band and, besides that, 4) have absolutely zero talent and feel and groove.

playing zillion notes per second in a way that feels completely out of the song is just the best example of how technique has zero to do with talent