Black Hole Sun

1 hour ago, 2414225 said:

Yup, a creative Axl from the past would have done this piano only tribute with Slash and Duff stepping at the end. 

You know what's also lame... IMO Slash is also creatively blocked since he is back in GnR. He did some nice riffs for his solo stuff. The fact that he didn't even play the solo in BHS is just a side note, but this whole reunion simply doesn't sound right...its not even Axl, 4tus and Frank. Slash and Duff are also playing like employees. 

yeah they certainly look and sound like employees at times

I thought it was good enough to be exciting.  To me, Axl seems a little uneasy with the melody in verses before first chorus.  He doesnt find the nuances.  They played this at a very authentically slow tempo.  Makes me wonder if this is an example of why they are speeding up tempos on other songs?

Just now, soon said:

I thought it was good enough to be exciting.  To me, Axl seems a little uneasy with the melody in verses before first chorus.  He doesnt find the nuances.  They played this at a very authentically slow tempo.  Makes me wonder if this is an example of why they are speeding up tempos on other songs?

I doubt it. I think any uneasiness can be attributed to both the emotion and the fact that this isn't his own song. Less comfortable too being that this is the first performance. I don't think that's why they sped up some of the classic material. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I doubt it. I think any uneasiness can be attributed to both the emotion and the fact that this isn't his own song. Less comfortable too being that this is the first performance. I don't think that's why they sped up some of the classic material. 

Yeah I agree, also the classic material isn't nearly as fast as it was during the NA leg. If you listen to It's So Easy now compared to Vegas there's a huge difference. In Vegas it sounds like Frank's just snorted about 3 grams of coke.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

guns n roses outshoned every band that there ever was from 1985 to 1991 and axl outshoned every singer that ever walked on this planet during the same period

even at his "then" worse times, 1992-1994, when he clearly didnt wanna be in what was left of Guns n Roses, axl kept outshining people

evidences of GNR/axl outshining the entire rock world are abundant and include stones/jagger, aerosmith/tyler, beatles/lennon, queen/freddie and acdc/bon

i am 100% convinced that axl could outshine anyone 1985-1991, including cornell, sinatra, barry white, king diamond and even that guy from slayer -- he just couldnt help being the best singer ever

today, on this bullshit guns n aliens tour, with this bullshit clean voice, with these bullshit backing musicians, its a whole different story

I agree 100%. 

59 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I agree 100%. 

85-91 Queen or GNR? sorry but I love Axl and GnR are my favourite band of all time, but Freddie wiped the floor with Axl and Axl would agree with that too. Powerful voice right up to the end, there was no Mickey years. Also Steven Tyler, he's nearly 70 and he's singing a lot better than the 54 year old Axl. Again I love Axls voice but we need to be honest with ourselves. Axl on his A game was a contender for anyone on that list, but he has never been as consistent live as any of the one's mentioned there, and that's ultimately where it matters... for me at least. Even back in he 80s and 90s Axl was very hit and miss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

85-91 Queen or GNR? sorry but I love Axl and GnR are my favourite band of all time, but Freddie wiped the floor with Axl and Axl would agree with that too. Powerful voice right up to the end, there was no Mickey years. Also Steven Tyler, he's nearly 70 and he's singing a lot better than the 54 year old Axl. Again I love Axls voice but we need to be honest with ourselves. Axl on his A game was a contender for anyone on that list, but he has never been as consistent live as any of the one's mentioned there, and that's ultimately where it matters... for me at least. Even back in he 80s and 90s Axl was very hit and miss.

Freddy is Freddy. But for me, Axl prime was a force never to be seen again in a frontmen. Freddy didn't run marathons during concerts like Axl. Axl's performances on the UYI tour are incomparable. People really prop up Freddy on this forum. I have never really heard people in real life say Freddy is incredible, amazing or any superlative like that.

Just now, The Holographic Universe said:

Freddy is Freddy. But for me, Axl prime was a force never to be seen again in a frontmen. Freddy didn't run marathons during concerts like Axl. Axl's performances on the UYI tour are incomparable. People really prop up Freddy on this forum. I have never really heard people in real life say Freddy is incredible, amazing or any superlative like that.

Go watch any live Queen show with Freddie, he was a force. I have heard SO many people continually say Freddie was the best. And I know there's definitely a mythical thing because he passed away but god damn he was a powerhouse and a complete professional when it came to giving a good show night in and out. Freddie was not a statue on stage either, but yeah he was running like Axl... but I'd rather someone nailing the vocal than running around constantly. UYI Axl was great though, but my opinion is what it is. Also, don't conveniently forget about Tyler ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MADDOGJONES said:

Steven Tyler even his prime cannot get even close to what Axl did last year in ACDC in terms of vocals or stage performance.

In your opinion maybe, but for my criteria of a great live singer, it's all about delivering! and I'm not talking about 10/15 gigs, I'm talking full tours, year in and out. If you go see Steven on opening night you're gonna get the same show as night 10, nobody here can argue that Axl isn't poor on night one and it takes him a good few shows to warm up. AC/DC last year was good, but the drop off afterwards with Guns? I haven't conveniently forgotten that. 

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

In your opinion maybe, but for my criteria of a great live singer, it's all about delivering! and I'm not talking about 10/15 gigs, I'm talking full tours, year in and out. If you go see Steven on opening night you're gonna get the same show as night 10, nobody here can argue that Axl isn't poor on night one and it takes him a good few shows to warm up. AC/DC last year was good, but the drop off afterwards with Guns? I haven't conveniently forgotten that. 

What drop off with guns? He sounded Amazing at the 6 shows I went to last year. The only people complaining about his voice are online not at the shows.

2 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

No matter how good or bad it is I am always psyched to hear a new or any cover song by Axl or Slash. Audioslave.....especially the first album was fucking fantastic. Chris Cornell was a great singer solo or in any band he was in.

I would love to hear Axl do "Like a Stone".

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

No talent... Listen, you're deluded. Technique IS massively important, anyone who says "technique has zero to do with talent" has NO idea what they are talking about. And Richard is not an million notes per second guitar player, he's about as flashy as Slash - sometimes more, sometimes less. 

You talk about feel and all these other things as if they are separate things to technique, but feel is something that is built from having good technique and a good ear. There are robotic players, who have just got an incredible technique but they don't have a good ear... BUT they are not in-demand session players. Those guys are usually tight-cast to one genre IF that. One example of a guitar player who works hard on technique - Slash. 

Richard is an incredibly groovy rhythm guitar player and his vibrato and bending is absolutely spot on every time. He can ramp it up and play a blistering solo or he can dial it back and play a chill out lead, all depending on the song. Great guitar player, and it really doesn't matter a shit that he didn't write AFD or UYI or that the material he might write isn't of that quality. He is still incredible and for anyone to say otherwise is mind boggling to me.

And for the last time, go back and listen to the original solo and tell me that Kim Thayil isn't playing "a million notes". Richard played 'in the style of' Kim Thayils Black hole sun solo, it wasn't supposed to be a note for note transcription. Nit picking a live tribute solo :facepalm: 

of course one needs some tecnique to play guitar -- who is denying that? problem is that people who only have technique are really bad guitar players. there are millions of them, all they call themselves "musicians", all they are very proud of themselves and all of them are basically talentless people who have learned to move their fingers real fast by training a lot but cant really do much else other than sound like crap

I have listened to this song a zillion times by soundgarden and everything -- including the solo -- always sounded great. this guns n aliens version sounded really lifeless (i wont even start on axl delivery) and the guitar solo stands out as being completely out of tempo and out of mood of the song.

Regarding that rasp thing, afaik Axl already ruined his vocal chords once by doing the rasp wrong, I think it's a good thing he became a bit wiser and doesn't use it always and everywhere anymore. ;)

Regarding the song, it was a nice effort, well done. Black Hole Sun is one of those songs you can't really cover, without Cornell, it never sounds quite right.

Edited by Zurimor

28 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

@bucketfoot It was a nice gesture/tribute which didn't sound good. In my opinion, the latter doesn't negate the former and vice versa.

Just because I have zero desire to constantly say "J-Just i-in my opinion, though!" after everything I say doesn't mean I don't care about peoples feelings. I am a very honest/blunt/black & white person by nature, perhaps you can describe that as being 'dense'. I guess I just assume everyone will understand my intentions or in this case lack of intentions.

Maybe it is bad taste to critique a tribute. That honestly hadn't occurred to me/I missed that. So, I am sorry if you're a big Cornell fan and I upset you.

It wasn't specifically aimed at you Goat, you've always been ok with me, actually. There were a few posts that I thought were well wide of the mark and yours just happened to be one of them. My post was more just a general thing about what I thought was over the top negativity. You didn't like the song, that's fair comment but I felt I had to put my opinion forward as well. Chris only died 10 days ago and I think for them to put that together in such a short space of time was quite impressive. It was nothing personal, mate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ludurigan said:

yeah much better

i suppose axl could or should have done a piano and voice tribute like that?

then duff and slash could kick in during the chorus?

it should sound better and it would be a less obvious cover

===

this piano and voice idea gave me another idea

it should be a good time for the aliens to have a break?

like richard and melissa and dizzy could go on for a beer? maybe frank could join them? 

cause these guys work really hard and they are so talented that they play so many extra notes and added fills and they must be so tired to add so many creative things on the classic GNR songs and I am sure they are exhausted right now so they surely deserve a beer break during the set or something?

maybe they could do an extended break for the entire set? they surely could use a bit of a rest? maybe roadies could take the guitar and drum parts for this song? or maybe for the entire show? or the entire tour?

these alien guys work so hard and they are so talented and restless. I cant understand why is that axl dont allow them to rest for a full song or a full show or a full tour!

a full tour! they certainly deserve it!

com on axl, give it to them!

No personal insults intended, but you sound hysterical and a little too angry about the "aliens".

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

No personal insults intended, but you sound hysterical and a little too angry about the "aliens".

YEAH, written words can give that impression

and, you know, maybe I should just be happy about my favorite band wasting the (likely only) reunion opportunity that it will ever have by playing with 4 aliens!

four aliens that can not even play the songs copycat style -- like dozens of gnr tribute bands do!

No, they need to add their own personal fills and licks to make the song their own!

you know what?!

lets celebrate the guns n aliens tour instead!

lets be happy about what we have!

lets believe the guitar solo on black hole sun fit the song just fine!