Black Hole Sun

It would have been better if they had made an actual GN'R version of it, instead of playing it and singing it just like it is, given that Axl's and Chris voices are not the same.

If they weren't so lazy... or Axl wasn't so lazy.... would have found a way to appropiate the song and not expose the weakness of his voice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

It would have been better if they had made an actual GN'R version of it, instead of playing it and singing it just like it is, given that Axl's and Chris voices are not the same.

If they weren't so lazy... or Axl wasn't so lazy.... would have found a way to appropiate the song and not expose the weakness of his voice.

You mean like rehearse? Axl? For GN'R?! Haha! Not in This Lifetime...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, killuridols said:

What's crazy to me is that Axl rehearsed the song a few times the day before the Slane show and thought it was ready to go, but when Prince passed they dedicated KOHD to him because they "couldn't do justice" to one of Prince's songs. So Axl must actually think he's doing justice to the song... :confused:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

What's crazy to me is that Axl rehearsed the song a few times the day before the Slane show and thought it was ready to go, but when Prince passed they dedicated KOHD to him because they "couldn't do justice" to one of Prince's songs. So Axl must actually think he's doing justice to the song... :confused:

:rofl-lol:

On 5/27/2017 at 6:00 PM, Chris 55 said:

As much as I like it when a crowd sings along at a show, it's really annoying when someone sings next to the camera mic 

Agreed. Its especially annoying when the guy holding the camera is the one doing this. Need a soundboard recording for this soon!

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

Yes, I agree that it probably would have been better with a different arrangement (although it has improved in the last few shows). I don't know though if they play it as it is because it was the easy way for Axl to do it (as it requires more effort from him to use two voices like he does now) or out of laziness;I think it's due to Axl's idea of being respectful. And, in general (with few exceptions) GnR haven't been bold with covers.

55 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

We don't know if he rehearsed BHS only that day though or he had started before they left for Ireland. Prince passed the day before Coachella 2 iirc, so they didn't even have one day to rehearse.

Edited by Blackstar

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

We don't know if he rehearsed BHS only that day though or he had started before they left for Ireland. Prince passed the day before Coachella 2 iirc, so they didn't even have one day to rehearse.

That doesn't really make it better... if he'd been singing it that way for a few days before the show and still thought it was good enough to perform then I'm not sure what to say, other than that he was wrong IMO. His deep voice was fine but ffs bring the power to the chorus or don't bother. :shrugs:

14 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That doesn't really make it better... if he'd been singing it that way for a few days before the show and still thought it was good enough to perform then I'm not sure what to say, other than that he was wrong IMO. His deep voice was fine but ffs bring the power to the chorus or don't bother. :shrugs:

The chorus has been more powerful in the last 2-3 shows

His voice is alright, he's just a bit off at certain parts.

But I don't think Axl's purpose is to do a perfect cover here. He just wants to pay this tribute for his own reasons.

Edited by Blackstar

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I agree that it probably would have been better with a different arrangement (although it has improved in the last few shows). I don't know though if they play it as it is because it was the easy way for Axl to do it (as it requires more effort from him to use two voices like he does now) or out of laziness;I think it's due to Axl's idea of being respectful. And, in general (with few exceptions) GnR haven't been bold with covers.

But respect can be payed in different forms.... For example, an acoustic version on acoustic guitars or a piano and guitar version could have been amazing, like it once was "Dust In The Wind" or "It's alright" :shrugs:

Chris Cornell himself stripped down the original song and used to sing an acoustic version in his shows.

I think it is more due to laziness in general.... not wanting to go the extra mile for anything. Half-assed like so many other songs, except for AC/DC and Billy Joel's covers :rolleyes:

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

The black hole sun cover was nice for a 1 off tribute, but keeping it in the setlist at this point seems like a lazy, self serving performance in the setlist... continuing to perform the song only because it's convienent, in the sense that you've rehearsed it, and that it's a weak attempt to "mix up" the setlist, without having to perform new (or rarely performed old) material.

45 minutes ago, killuridols said:

But respect can be payed in different forms.... For example, an acoustic version on acoustic guitars or a piano and guitar version could have been amazing, like it once was "Dust In The Wind" or "It's alright" :shrugs:

Chris Cornell himself stripped down the original song and used to sing an acoustic version in his shows.

I think it is more due to laziness in general.... not wanting to go the extra mile for nothing. Half-assed like so many other songs, except for AC/DC and Billy Joel's covers :rolleyes:

Maybe Axl felt insecure about his voice to do a stripped down version.

The Dust In The Wind and It's Alright originals were both piano based, so it isn't that he changed much arrangement wise. And I don't think he rehearsed more back then.

As for AC/DC songs, it wasn't about doing his own version of them but about rehearsing to sing them faithfully to the originals. This is what he's trying to do with BHS now but he hasn't rehearsed it as much.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The chorus has been more powerful in the last 2-3 shows

His voice is alright, he's just a bit off at certain parts.

But I don't think Axl's purpose is to do a perfect cover here. He just wants to pay this tribute for his own reasons.

I actually hadn't heard that performance in decent quality, that was better than I remembered (the high parts in the chorus) but the first one was definitely better than the last. If they're still playing it by NA he'll likely be 100% on it, but I still hope they replace it with any of their own songs from the alt setlist.

I agree about the just paying tribute for his own reasons part too, and don't get me wrong I get the gesture, it's just that aside from a one-off performance I don't think Black Hole Sun belongs in the setlist. Using a Soundgarden or Audioslave song as the intro to KOHD instead would be a lot better IMO [if they replace BHS instead of just dropping it].

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Beta must not be allowing him to watch youtube if he believes he's doing Chris justice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

At this point rehearsing doesn't matter. He still sounds like shit after singing it multiple times.

26 minutes ago, ll_tj1 said:

At this point rehearsing doesn't matter. He still sounds like shit after singing it multiple times.

He doesn't sound phenomenal (and I don't believe he thinks he does) but I don't agree he sounds like shit.

7 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Maybe Duff is the reason the song has reminded in the set list. Seattle means a lot to him. And Weiland/STP wasn't a Seattle band. 

I don't think so. They wouldn't keep it in the set if Axl didn't feel like singing it (or they would do an instrumental version).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe Axl felt insecure about his voice to do a stripped down version.

The Dust In The Wind and It's Alright originals were both piano based, so it isn't that he changed much arrangement wise. And I don't think he rehearsed more back then.

But this voice is even more insecure, weak and terrible at parts the way he's singing it now. Sounds like a really old guy in his death bed taking the last breath!

He's been out of tune in every show they've played it so far. Doesn't he hear himself that he's not singing like a pro? :facepalm:

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

As for AC/DC songs, it wasn't about doing his own version of them but about rehearsing to sing them faithfully to the originals. This is what he's trying to do with BHS now but he hasn't rehearsed it as much

That's what I meant when I said half-assed songs, except for AC/DC's. He actually cared to be faithful to the original by staying on tune, not resorting to Mickey and giving it strength when needed.

This is not what the original BHS is like....at all. That's why I said that he should have found another way to sing it, lower key or something, because Chris voice was not as high as his, also didn't use falsetto or Mickey Moused the songs. Grunge is a dark depressive music usually sung in low deep tones.