Black Hole Sun

It is good that they tried something different and a nice gesture to pay tribute. The mysic sounded good, let down by Axl's old lady voice on the high notes and overall being bit off key throughout. The solo sounded like he was too busy noodling to notice the cue for the end of it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Original said:

I'm only allowed 10 likes per day so I can't like this.  Axl did a fine job....he's what 55.  In his younger years he woulda probably 'outshined' Cornell on that.   

See this is why it's so frustrating when he underperforms. Comments like this flood in and it gives people the impression that he's worse than he is.

It has absolutely nothing to do with him being 55. If he can belt out For Those About to Rock consistently then this should have been a piece of piss. He obviously hasn't rehearsed for about two months and left it too late. Shame, It's his own fault for coming in underprepared but the comments about his age and vocal limitations are ignorant and unjustified.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of Axl's voice and I honestly think Axl sounds better than the original singer on almost every cover Axl's ever sung. This was an exception though. But it was a decent performance and a very cool gesture nevertheless. A part of me hopes that they play it again, cause I know that they could sound much better on it, especially Axl. If Axl would scream those high pitched "black hole sun" parts, instead of just talking with a Mickey voice, it would sound really cool. No idea why he's not using his raspy screaming voice there.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bono said:

This tribute also makes me question why  this band did nothing to honor Scott? 

Probably because Scott died like half a year before GNR started touring. Making a tribute for him that late would've been a little strange I guess. Still I hope that they play some VR stuff at some point. That would be cool.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Probably because Scott died like half a year before GNR started touring. Making a tribute for him that late would've been a little strange I guess. Still I hope that they play some VR stuff at some point. That would be cool.

Scott died December 3rd 2015. GnR started this tour April 1st 2016. 4 months. They ignored the death of a guy Duff and Slash were in a band with for 4+ years and released 2 albums with. 

7 hours ago, Original said:

I'm only allowed 10 likes per day so I can't like this.  Axl did a fine job....he's what 55.  In his younger years he woulda probably 'outshined' Cornell on that.   

I really like both singers, but even in his younger days it would have been hard to 'outshine' Cornell... That guy probably was a better singer than Axl.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Anyone found video of Axls full intro speech to it? Cant really hear it in the one on the 1st page because of all the talking and its cut in the one where you can actually hear it

I was wondering that too. 

1 hour ago, Bono said:

Scott died December 3rd 2015. GnR started this tour April 1st 2016. 4 months. They ignored the death of a guy Duff and Slash were in a band with for 4+ years and released 2 albums with. 

By simple google search I found out that Slash paid tribute to Scott on New Year's Eve show introducing and dedicating the song Sucker Train Blues. Even if he didn't I don't see point in GNR doing tribute to Scott 4 months after his death, if he died now not then I'm sure they would play something.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Honestly, there are some dense people on here. It was fantastic! He sang it emotionally, from the heart, if people can't see that then I despair, Phoned it in? :lol: Fuck off! No rasp? :lol: What's this obsession with rasp all the time? Some songs don't require rasp, they'd sound fucking stupid!

If Axl would have sung "Sailing" in 2006 without rasp, we wouldn't be talking about that awesome cover of "Sailing" GNR did in 2006, we'd be talking about that awful cover of "Sailing" GNR did in 2006

Axl's full-force voice makes the songs - he refuses to use it now for whatever reason even though he used it with ACDC all year last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DexAxl said:

By simple google search I found out that Slash paid tribute to Scott on New Year's Eve show introducing and dedicating the song Sucker Train Blues. Even if he didn't I don't see point in GNR doing tribute to Scott 4 months after his death, if he died now not then I'm sure they would play something.

By simple google search find me the time Guns N Roses paid tribute to him. Thanks.  Also that's fine if you don't see the point in GnR paying tribute to a man who was a major player in the same 90s music scene that Cornell was and who also played in Slash and Duff's(2/3 of this GnR reunion) band for 4+ years. You're right. What's the point. Like I said, the fact they couldn't do this, the fact they can't even squeeze a VR song or a Slash solo song into the set yet play the CD material and tribute Chris by playing a A Soundgarden song(not just a simple dedication) says to me there is a conscious effort to ignore the work Slash and Duff did outside of GnR. No different than when Axl for a time tried to act as if Slash and Duff never existed in the GnR world. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Honestly, there are some dense people on here. It was fantastic! He sang it emotionally, from the heart, if people can't see that then I despair, Phoned it in? :lol: Fuck off! No rasp? :lol: What's this obsession with rasp all the time? Some songs don't require rasp, they'd sound fucking stupid!

It was a nice tribute yes, but to say Axl sounded fantastic and sang it from the heart......  If you actually believe that(I know you don't it's just typical slurping) then I despair. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

If Axl would have sung "Sailing" in 2006 without rasp, we wouldn't be talking about that awesome cover of "Sailing" GNR did in 2006, we'd be talking about that awful cover of "Sailing" GNR did in 2006

Axl's full-force voice makes the songs - he refuses to use it now for whatever reason even though he used it with ACDC all year last year.

He sang it faithfully to the Soundgarden original, it was a tribute.

5 minutes ago, Bono said:

It was a nice tribute yes, but to say Axl sounded fantastic and sang it from the heart......  If you actually believe that(I know you don't it's just typical slurping) then I despair. 

Sorry mate, but you've got me wrong there, I'm not a kiss arse. If I thought he sang it badly I would say. He didn't.

Edited by bucketfoot

8 hours ago, ludurigan said:

this 15 seconds guitar solo shows basically everything you need to know about richard the guitar player

guy plays zillion notes per second and he is completely OUT of the tempo and completely OUT of the mood of the song

Out of tempo? He didn't play it exact, but the general feel of the solo was there. Washy wah and a general shreddy vibe. Maybe you don't know the original.

Everyone who mentioned Richard by name or the other guitar player, were blown away. Most didn't realise that he was with the band for as long as he has been. And most just think he's a great guitar player. None of this Moaning.

For me the only guitar parts that I fell asleep for were the extended solos in rocket queen and Godfather. Unnecessary.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bono said:

By simple google search find me the time Guns N Roses paid tribute to him. Thanks.  Also that's fine if you don't see the point in GnR paying tribute to a man who was a major player in the same 90s music scene that Cornell was and who also played in Slash and Duff's(2/3 of this GnR reunion) band for 4+ years. You're right. What's the point. Like I said, the fact they couldn't do this, the fact they can't even squeeze a VR song or a Slash solo song into the set yet play the CD material and tribute Chris by playing a A Soundgarden song(not just a simple dedication) says to me there is a conscious effort to ignore the work Slash and Duff did outside of GnR. No different than when Axl for a time tried to act as if Slash and Duff never existed in the GnR world. 

The fact that you whine about why they didnt do anything for another singer, after they sang a song for cornell, shows what small person you are. Its ridiculous, really.