Dehumanizer by Black Sabbath is an underrated album

Towelie

I keep seeing this album getting shit on, but I would actually say it's the strongest Dio Sabbath album. RJD's vocals on this album are absolutely insane, songs like Buried Alive, Computer God, After All and Too Late are amongst the best songs Dio and Sabbath made together.

Really don't understand why this is seen as the worst Dio/Sabbath album....

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

I don't know man. It's not an album I like to revisit much. It's a very cold, sterile and sinister album. Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules will always be my go to and, the 90s were my least favourite Dio-era definitely.

But I made one Dio playlist recently, from the album Dehumanizer I picked After All The Dead, Master Of Insanity, Sins of the Father, and my opinion the best track: 'I'. Too Late  is great too.

I just wish they could have stayed with Cozy Powell on drums, would have been a terrific line-up. The demos with Powell are excellent.

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, the lyrics on Dehumanizer are more science fiction than anything else.

You're right, it's a brutal listen. Vocally RJD is ripping those songs to shreds.

I know there was a lot of discontent while making the album- the whole Cozy situation and also the old Tony/Geezer vs Ronnie/Vinnie thing plus an allegedly lousy producer (not sure what if any of it to believe, Sabbath legend/history changes throughout the years depending on who happens to be fronting the band at the time).

Never had a problem with the production myself though.

As an aside, I always found Cross Purposes to be a very strong album too.

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, DR DOOM said:

I know there was a lot of discontent while making the album- the whole Cozy situation and also the old Tony/Geezer vs Ronnie/Vinnie thing plus an allegedly lousy producer (not sure what if any of it to believe, Sabbath legend/history changes throughout the years depending on who happens to be fronting the band at the time).

Never had a problem with the production myself though.

As an aside, I always found Cross Purposes to be a very strong album too.

Yeah, I never understood the fans who moan about the production on Dehumanizer. To me, its production-values are very similar to a lot of other early 90s rock albums. I actually really love that whole era of rock/metal, albums like UYI, Slave To The Grind, Dehumanizer, Black Album, Blood Sugar Sex Magik... so many great albums between 91-92.

Never gave Cross Purposes much of a chance. Will have to give the Tony Martin era a bit more attention.

Edited by Towelie

Dio's vocals on Buried Alive, especially at the end, are just ear splitting. Throughout the entire album he just rips these songs to shreds. I've never heard such powerful metal vocals before or since.

Computer God is perhaps my favourite opening track of all time. Everything about it is just perfect. That riff, the little bass fills, Dio's vocal. The verses are heavy and pounding, the chorus anthemic. And then you have that absolutely stunning middle section where everything is stripped back and calm, with just Tony doing some arpeggios and Dio's beautiful vocals, it's heavenly.... before BAM.... the drums kick back in and we're straight back into that snarling vocal and menacing riff. "Programme the brain, not the heartbeat." Then the end builds and builds to an amazing climax, with the entire band bringing their A game.

God, I love this album.

• Like 1

The album is criminally underrated. The album is just the heaviest stuff sabbath ever did and the band just sounds pissed off and you get that aggression that you normally don't get with Sabbath albums(outside probably Sabotage). Anybody who likes Dehumanizer should check out Dio's solo album Strange Highways(criminally underrated as well) which was released a year after Dehumanizer and it has a very similar style.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bran said:

The album is criminally underrated. The album is just the heaviest stuff sabbath ever did and the band just sounds pissed off and you get that aggression that you normally don't get with Sabbath albums(outside probably Sabotage). Anybody who likes Dehumanizer should check out Dio's solo album Strange Highways(criminally underrated as well) which was released a year after Dehumanizer and it has a very similar style.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:55 AM, Towelie said:

Never gave Cross Purposes much of a chance. Will have to give the Tony Martin era a bit more attention.

Cross Purposes is the only decent one, IMO.

Geezer is on it too.

The other Tony Martin albums suck dick, except Eternal Idol which was written and recorded with Ray Gillen, who left and had his vocals replaced by Martin.

6 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

Cross Purposes is the only decent one, IMO.

Geezer is on it too.

The other Tony Martin albums suck dick, except Eternal Idol which was written and recorded with Ray Gillen, who left and had his vocals replaced by Martin.

You don't even like Headless Cross???

• 2 weeks later...