The GNR anything thread

6 hours ago, Drakestar said:

I ran into Axl in a hallway and he mocked me. I totally froze. That is my confession. Kicking myself the instant that he bolted into a mysterious doorway with one GIANT dude protecting it.

What do you mean mocked you? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I spent last summer listening to every single 1991 bootleg (yes all 48 shows) and I'm trying to get through every '92 show this summer (got 43 to go).
This little GN'R adventure of mine made me realize a couple of things:

1: Axl's vocals during most '91 shows were WAAAY to raspy, I almost prefer SCOM from a '16 bootleg over a '91 bootleg because of that.
2: They definitely had some pretty bad shows back in the days.
3: Even though they changed up the setlist order a lot during the first leg of the UYI Tour they didn't really switch up the songs THAT much. 
4. Holy fuck they had a lot of energy in their prime!
5. Axl's rants are hilarious, while listening to all those bootlegs it was the rants that made me want to listen to the next show right away!
6. People threw a lot of shit at the stage.
7. Axl stopped a lot of shows, more than you would think, during the first UYI leg.
8. Fuck Matt's drum solo
9. I love this band.
10. I should probably get a life.

I half agree on the rasp point, some of it is pretty hard to listen to. (But still kind of awesome at the same time) 

Good for you by the way, I haven't heard a fraction of that shit, just songs/rants in isolation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, maynard said:

Random GNR thoughts:

I haven't listened to a GNR song in months.

I haven't listened to a full GNR album in years.

I miss the NuGNR days a bit when they would deliver fiasco after fiasco and there were several jokes going on in here.

I honestly don't mind Melissa in the band. Think she's cute and talented, something Pitman could only dream of being.

I miss enjoying GNR but I simply lost any good feeling I had regarding the band.

When someone says you can't notice Axl's clean voice being at the concert I simply don't believe in that person. The difference is just too clear to go unnoticed.

Jokes at Melissa being labeled sexist 99% of the time and posts getting deleted because of it annoy me a lot. Pitman was bullied all the time here and didn't get any special treatment from the forum admin. Just don't see the difference between joking with a man and a woman, we are all equal in my view.

You're right about Axl's voice, it's still there in person, but it's kind of like, no fucks were given. There's so much more going on to take in that it becomes secondary, you obviously lose that watching on your iPhone. You notice it if you want to (nobody does though).

9 hours ago, scooby845 said:

What do you mean mocked you? 

I was walking down the hallway and he came around this rounded corner and actually almost ran into me. I sort of jump back and froze when I saw who it was, he did I little jump back and froze copying my posture for two seconds before doing his raised lip half smile and going through the door. I was cool, but wish I could have found my words.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Drakestar said:

I was walking down the hallway and he came around this rounded corner and actually almost ran into me. I sort of jump back and froze when I saw who it was, he did I little jump back and froze copying my posture for two seconds before doing his raised lip half smile and going through the door. I was cool, but wish I could have found my words.

Seems like he had a sense of humor about it. I would of froze up as well if I ran into a musician I admired.

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

A couple of thoughts...

- Shadow of Your Love should have replaced Anything Goes on AFD.

- I am convinced that if MYGNR had existed during the UYI tour, many of the members here would have bitched about Axl sounding too raspy or Slash fucking up some solos.

Or the band's various drug and alcohol problems.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

:lol:probably true!

As a side note, I've always wanted to work up a mock version of mygnr as if it existed in the UYI days. Just make one page of topics that would've been relevant then but be sure to include several topics on set list bitching, Axl's voice, Axl's clothes and so on lol. I've never taken to time to do it but I would imagine it would be funny.

''Gilby and Matt are better than the old ones''.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drakestar said:

Hey thanks for clarifying... interesting story...

where was that?