The GNR anything thread

On 6/5/2017 at 2:36 PM, Loot Man said:

First message here! Sorry if my english is weak. 

I think, if band somehow would play any VR song, it should be "Sucker Train Blues" instead of Slither. STB is very GNR-style song, and it would be great to hear Axl singing it. I like Weiland, but I think Axl would nailed it. But not gonna happen.. 

Welcome to the forum!

I think STB would work great with Axl's voice. 

• Like 2

Also,

Finally getting to see and hear "Godfather Theme" live will be a moment I never forget. Gave me goosebumps. Being Sicilian my favorite move is The Godfather I & II. 

I remember being a teenager downloading music from KaZaa and stumbling upon something called "Slash Godfather Theme." I was so fucking excited and skeptical.  It took about 45 minutes to download the audio of the clip and my favorite guitar player just exponentially cooler somehow!!! I believe it was the audio from the Tokyo Dome in 92  show  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Its Tino said:

Also,

Finally getting to see and hear "Godfather Theme" live will be a moment I never forget. Gave me goosebumps. Being Sicilian my favorite move is The Godfather I & II. 

I remember being a teenager downloading music from KaZaa and stumbling upon something called "Slash Godfather Theme." I was so fucking excited and skeptical.  It took about 45 minutes to download the audio of the clip and my favorite guitar player just exponentially cooler somehow!!! I believe it was the audio from the Tokyo Dome in 92  show  

Damn kazaa, I remember waiting an hour for one song :lol: what was the other one? LimeWire.

I made a cd back then with all that shit on it. Godfather theme, Dead Flowers, We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody, Heartbreak Hotel, Shadow of Your Love, Jumpin Jack Flash. I loved that cd.

Speaking on Jumpin Jack Flash, I absolutely love the acoustic version, but just never cared for the regular/electric version.

• Like 1

So..  I've got this app called musixmatch on my android phone (s7 edge), that I use to play tunes because it shows the lyrics as the song plays.  However, with GnR tunes, it displays a "Unfortunately we are not allowed to display these lyrics" message instead...   Not that I don't know all the lyrics anyway!, but I'd still like to see them as they go!  Anyone here come across this app/player or issue,  or suggest a better app to do the same thing?  Thanks!

6 hours ago, 77Jesters said:

So..  I've got this app called musixmatch on my android phone (s7 edge), that I use to play tunes because it shows the lyrics as the song plays.  However, with GnR tunes, it displays a "Unfortunately we are not allowed to display these lyrics" message instead...   Not that I don't know all the lyrics anyway!, but I'd still like to see them as they go!  Anyone here come across this app/player or issue,  or suggest a better app to do the same thing?  Thanks!

Same problem here...

I was thinking, that what is behind  Axl´s "new" behavior? I mean: no gigs starting late, he don´t rant  on the stage, he is friendly and seems to be very happy too. I don´t think reunion is only reason for that. Honestly I think he has some kind of medication, which is a good thing and clearly helps him too. 

Edited by Loot Man

Just now, Loot Man said:

I was thinking, that what is behind  Axl´s "new" behavior? I mean: no gigs starting late, he don´t rant to anybody on the stage, he is friendly and seems to be very happy too. I don´t think reunion is only reason for that. Honestly I think he has some kind of medication, which is a good thing and clearly helps him too. 

Answer seen here:
o-PILES-OF-AMERICAN-MONEY-facebook.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/5/2017 at 10:10 AM, JustanUrchin said:

The randomness of, and interesting stories from old time fans in, this thread motivates me to contribute a few of my own random stories:

1. Adler's fourth replacement sent me a friend request on FB last July.  I never accepted, and he later withdrew the request. (It's not as inexplicable as it seems, but too much backstory to convey pecking away on a mobile).

2.  The second time that I saw Gn'R (in June '91), I had the distinct sense that this was the end of the band.  The band made the fans wait in the sweltering heat (this was before it later became public fact that this was a pattern of disrespect by the band's singer).  The singer sounded terrible. Fans were throwing all sorts of shit at the band (most of it was hitting other fans).  Izzy basically stood in place most of the show as if he had concrete blocks on his feet.  I couldn't make sense of the songs--Adler's first replacement was a metal drummer--the songs now had the feel of a english metal band. But my clearest memory, despite being latched onto the barricade at Slash's feet, Slash talking to me and my friends, Slash wearing my friend's OU hat across the stage before tossing it into the crowd, and the singer shaking (literally) my hand, was that there was a KEYBOARDIST on stage.  I shit you not. A keyboard/synthesizer was on a Gn'R stage.  Everyone, and I mean all other 8 guys I went with, could not believe there was some guy with a keyboard on stage.  The only word that fits is betrayal (at the time, though, it was just the repeated use of combinations of "fuck" and "hate" between the 9 of us, and scores more in the parking lot after the show). Gn'R was everything that Bon Jovi, Stryper, Van Halen and the like were not. Or so we'd thought.  Beyond that, NO ONE could figure out wtf (yes, people said "what the fuck" as a proper way to introduce a question back then) the guy with the keys was DOING during the songs--was he even playing? Given these facts (and atmosphere), and if it was anywhere near as hot a month or so later in St. Louis, the singer should count his Lucky Charms none of the paying customers beat his scrawny ass when he threw a hissy fit and walked off stage.

3.  Despite this, I stood outside the record store that fall for the release of UYI at midnight.  I had faith, even if many of my friends no longer did (and the music scene was shifting).  When I finally had my turn at the counter, the mom n' pop record store had cassettes, but I had a deck in my car.  It was for the best, in retrospect.  I gave both tapes a glorious go for a solid two weeks, and haven't played anything from UYI since.  By the time the singer's Liberace piano piece (with said singer in spandex shorty-shorts, a heavy dose of horns, gospel singers, Duff looking like a corpse, and some Izzy look-a-like playing Izzy parts) hit MTV, I was already pretending that I didn't own UYI.  This is when, apparently, Gn'R found glory south of America and in Europe even as it simultaneously became irrelevant in America for the next quarter century.

4. I agree with Slash, Duff and Adler's statements years later:  the band was no longer a band by '90.  But I didn't know it until June 6, 1991.  For a moment, last July, it was but one piece away.  Here's to the final fifth this July!

Even if they paid him a full fifth of everything including merch that Izzy would want/be able to actually go though with potentially endless tours for the next however-many years?

Earlier this week I got really annoyed of the fact that every single GN'R album (including Live Era and GH) has a cassette release but Chinese Democracy doesn't. And it really isn't that odd considering when the album was released but it is how every very annoying to have every album release but CD in my cassette collection so I decided to make my own copy of Chinese Democracy on cassette complete with artwork and a really home made looking label. I even gave the cassette a catalog number (B0012356-03). I decided to add Going Down', Oh My God and Silworms at the end of side B as well since there was plenty of space left after recording the 71 minute long album on a 90 minute tape.

Here are some pictures of how the final "product" looks! :lol:

2017_06_22_00_10_54.jpg

2017_06_22_00_10_59.jpg

2017_06_22_00_09_18.jpg

2017_06_22_00_08_32.jpg

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

• 11 months later...

bringing this back from the grave... On the last couple days with all these leaks and especially HOB 01 I started to think.... What if GNR didn't break up in the mid 90s? what would've happen? 

and what if they did breakup and stuff went the way it did but Chinese Democracy was released in 2001 like it was supposed to? what would've happen?