A guess at the reason we are gettin so many CD tracks live

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Yes, but it is an irrelevant album that had no impact among the general public. That wasn't the case with AFD, Lies and UYI. Keep in mind that before this reunion NuGN'R was only playing South America and Vegas. That shows how little people care about CD and NuGN'R

I'm assuming Axl cares about the album and that's why the songs are being played. 

I'm not going to pretend it's a popular album, but definitely believe there are reasons to play songs from it live. 

As far Axl told the real thing, Duff and Slash are doing it just because they wanted to. 

Maybe it is part of their contract, we don't know. 

The only thing which is real: Slash and Duff are teasing Axl with that. But they are sending a bad sign with that. CD is just an Axl solo thing and Slash's interpretations of CD are disappointing. But you can't make hit material from CD. It was interesting to hear Slash on CD stuff for the first time, but he can't rescue these songs... 

Edited by 2414225

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Here is a damning statistic for you. 42% of the current setlist is either Chinese or a cover!

In Bilbao they played 24 songs. 6 of those are from Chinese or a cover (Chinese, Better, This I Love, Sorry, Seeker, Black Hole Sun). That's 25%.

Even if you add Attitude, Knocking and LALD to the list, it'd be a total of 37,5%. You can by definition call them covers, but the versions recorded and released by GNR are as popular/known as their respective originals. To me it's weird counting them as covers next to songs such as The Seeker, who virtually has nothing to do with GNR at all. But I can see why you do it to support your argument :thumbsup:

And we're still not up to 42%, which means I'm missing something. Their 30 sec version cover of Johnny Thunders, perhaps?

The guy spent half of his career making that record , against everyone, former members, lawsuits, company records... off course he want to play those songs. And don't forget about Axl's ego and all his crap that destroyed this band , you are going to listen this songs until he retires we all know it.. he just can't and won't accept this songs are pretty mediocre or not GN'R. this band went to shit after 94 but they have that thing that makes them special .. only way this band could turn real again is with a new record 

• Like 1

They want to please Axl and have something fresh to perform, but there are songs that just dont fit the mood like Sorry or Better.

On the other hand I think stuff like Catcher, SoD and TiL that fits perfectly as Illusions GNR material must be performed.

I have mixed feelings with CD the song, but I doubt it'll go out even if they release a new album.

Jesus... What a stale argument this has become. 

Here are the UNDISPUTED facts. Chinese Democracy is a Guns N Roses record. Nothing you, or anyone else can say or do anything to dispute that. It is what it is regardless of how you feel. Slash and Duff rejoined GNR and are on tour, and currently they are playing songs off of all GNR records, including CD. 

All this back in forth can't dispute the above facts. What it seems to me is that there are a bunch of people that did not agree with how GNR continued on with Slash and Duff, and can now no longer come to terms with the fact that Duff and Slash play these songs live. And that's fine I guess, given that them playing these songs challenges your notions of what you want GNR to be... But nothing is gonna change the facts of Chinese Democracy being a GNR record. Nothing. 

Slash and Duff are playing them live, Izzy has toured with gnr in 2206 and 2010-2012, I suggest that you guys get over it. For fucks sake, SLash, Duff, and IZzzy have. 

• Like 1

we are getting them because Axl is really hating the fans and Slash, he is hating the fans for not supporting his GNR project from 2000-2014, and he hates Slash for who knows what reason, he is basically shoving those songs down our throats as his way of saying FU to the fans for not supporting his GNR project and he is making Slash his bitch by making him playing them

I guess the main reason we're getting more CD songs is because it's not a full reunion and is a semi reunion/ continuation of of nuguns. Had izzy and Steven / Matt been there it would be debatable wether CD songs would be played. 

I didn't like nuguns era but I don't mind them putting a few songs in the setlist to keep fans of all era's going to the shows happy.  The thing is personally I feel the band is passing off CD songs as the " new songs" for this tour but to be honest I suppose to Slash Duff and 2/3 of the people going to the shows they are new songs. But it's also the 2/3 of the people that see this line up as the first legit line up since '93 so I think it's only fair the band should soundcheck some UYI songs as well. 

15 minutes ago, k12 said:

we are getting them because Axl is really hating the fans and Slash, he is hating the fans for not supporting his GNR project from 2000-2014, and he hates Slash for who knows what reason, he is basically shoving those songs down our throats as his way of saying FU to the fans for not supporting his GNR project and he is making Slash his bitch by making him playing them

I really doubt that's why they are being played lol

2 hours ago, Natty said:

Hi, don't we all want a setlist just for ourselves if we are honest? Everyone has his favourites...

Well usually I am front row during GNR concerts so I cannot go to the bar or do something else because I would loose my place in first row :-)

But you know what: it s only a minor Thing: in the end I am happy that they are back on stage again. I never thought it would happen. So not wanting them to Play so many "covers" is to be understood as minimal critizism.

If I wanted a setlist for myself I would visit Youtube, pick  up all the highlights, the best live versions of each GNR song I love and make my own playlist. I don't go to shows to complain about what's played though I reckon there are songs I like better than others.  It's all about watching those guys on stage together, which is priceless. I'd rather 3 hours including covers of non GNR songs than 2 hours shows.  Covers can showcase a band's talent more than their own songs. Hell they could play Dominick the Donkey version hard rock and I would be still be happy. :D 

You're right, it's only a minor thing, besides I think the topic was actually about something else. 

Why are we getting CD songs? I suppose it's because it's part of the catalogue. It's a GNR album, like it or not. Perhaps Axl wanted to see how the original guys could improve those songs to make sound them more like GNR. And it helps link this album to the rest of the discography, makes it a legitimate GNR album. 

45 minutes ago, Gold top 78 said:

I guess the main reason we're getting more CD songs is because it's not a full reunion and is a semi reunion/ continuation of of nuguns. Had izzy and Steven / Matt been there it would be debatable wether CD songs would be played.

I whole-heartedly disagree with you on this. Several former band members repeatedly stated they like the CD material, Slash included http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-calls-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-a-great-statement-172820

My guess is they play CD songs because they just like to perform them live. ;)

Another question, do you really all go to concerts to hear the hits ? I mean, I already know the hits of the bands I want to see live and really care more about not so known stuff, some hidden jewel performed live is worth way more to me than all the hits in the world.... :D

Edited by Zurimor

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The majority of people are entirely indifferent to that record I suspect judging by its sales figures and impact.

I'm simply saying that if you are a person who disregards the legitimacy of Chinese, which a great many do as evident by these discussions, and are there to see 'Guns N' Roses songs' - i.e. songs penned by some combination of Messrs. Rose/Stradlin/Mckagan/Hudson and not covers - 37%, well over a third of the show, may be completely unappealing and uninspiring. That is a whopping segment of the show!

People are wondering why other people complain: there is your answer. It does not affect me personally as I'll not be attending this tour, although I do not believe Chinese is 'Guns N' Roses' despite what it says on the tin (for the record).

Many do though and many people going to see this tour are interested in how Slash will play on them. I'm a MASSIVE Izzy Stradlin fan and I like a select few solo projects from Slash and Duff but I consider Chinese Democracy a GN'R record, one I waited 17 years for and I think ita great they are showing them live with what Axl prob would have wanted which is Slash on guitar. I enjoyed all 4 songs at Slane and people around me were singing along and loving them. 

Edit: Also the 'casual fan' people like to talk about in not knowing the CD material wouldn't have a clue Slash wasnt on Chinese Democracy, they've been playing a playlist including these songs in the run up to the shows and counting them as GN'R. 

Edited by Izzymacbeth

2 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Lol, yeah. I was actually aware when I wrote my post that this might sound a little stupid if I use the word "we" when I just corrected you about it. So yeah, I get your point.

At least I didn't say "we all" :P

But yeah. Didn't mean to nitpick. It's just that some people on this forum seem to genuinely feel that their opinion is pretty much everyone's opinion. But you don't seem to be one of them, so nevermind.

We know it's all good.  Everyone appreciates the humor.    LOL  :headbang:

• Like 1

It's really simple. If Axl doesn't play Chinese Democracy songs, he basically invalidates the last 20 years of his life. It's essentially an admission of failure on his part and acknowledgement of his gutting the band for a vision that was ultimately rejected by fans, peers and music critics. That is a monumental ego blow, especially for someone as thin skinned and hubris heavy as Axl.

Hence, the 3-4 Chinese Democracy songs at every show. Look it could be worse - he could add Rhiad or Scraped to the setlist. Count your blessings folks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

It's really simple. If Axl doesn't play Chinese Democracy songs, he basically invalidates the last 20 years of his life. It's essentially an admission of failure on his part and acknowledgement of his gutting the band for a vision that was ultimately rejected by fans, peers and music critics. That is a monumental ego blow, especially for someone as thin skinned and hubris heavy as Axl.

Hence, the 3-4 Chinese Democracy songs at every show. Look it could be worse - he could add Rhiad or Scraped to the setlist. Count your blessings folks.

Yep. And since Slash and Duff are not interested in piss off or bother Axl, they will play it (Slash is clearly uninterested in doing more than random shred in them though). They all make money. They all go home happy.

CD songs are covers just like KOHD, LALD, Seeker, etc.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

I whole-heartedly disagree with you on this. Several former band members repeatedly stated they like the CD material, Slash included http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-calls-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-a-great-statement-172820

My guess is they play CD songs because they just like to perform them live. ;)

Another question, do you really all go to concerts to hear the hits ? I mean, I already know the hits of the bands I want to see live and really care more about not so known stuff, some hidden jewel performed live is worth way more to me than all the hits in the world.... :D

No i dont want to hear only hits. But i just don t like the cd songs. I tried to force myself to like them but I have no connection to the songs. Thats why i don t like to hear to many of them. I tried several times to like cd , but it s impossible :shrugs:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Here is a damning statistic for you. 42% of the current setlist is either Chinese or a cover!

That doesn't even include all the jams they are playing between the songs.

Edited by Sosso

15 minutes ago, RONIN said:

How can it be a failure when the rest of the band appreciates his work (see link posted by me above, Slash saying it's "a really good record") ? Really, how can some people be so narrow-minded?

I assume the reason for the spit up pof the band was that Axl wanted something different than the rest of the band, now that it's finished former band members finally, like Slash also stated " understand where he (Axl) was heading all this time" and aprreciate it (Slash called it "brilliant", just for the record).

Edited by Zurimor

it would be awesome to get think about you or dont damn me or back off bitch instead of 2 cd songs or the seeker.

For me it s not about hits. Its about gnr pre spaghetti era. To please axl include 2 cd songs but thats enough for my taste. 

I suppose some here would like to hear cd entirely..

2 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

How can it be a failure when the rest of the band appreciates his work? Really, how can some people be so narrow-minded?

How do you know the rest of the band aka Duff and Slash enjoyed it? Because they say so? Look at the interviews where they talk about the album - hardly a glowing endorsement. Most of the time they say something diplomatic and quickly change the subject. Matt Sorum called CD a "toe tapper" - does that sound like someone who liked the album? Remember, all these guys quit the band over Axl's musical direction. By default, they weren't into these songs. I think Duff is on record as saying he really digs CITR and Better though.

By any measurable metric, Chinese Democracy was a failure - or to be kind, a massive disappointment. But look, if Axl sees Chinese Democracy as a triumph, then ultimately that's what counts in the end because the guy spent his entire prime creating that album. I would hope it would be immensely meaningful to him despite critical and commercial rejection.  

7 hours ago, Lio said:

Guns N' Roses getting flak for paying tribute to a friend of theirs who died a few weeks ago. What kind of people are you?

I had no idea how entitled some GNR fans are, which is kind of shocking because there's never been more of a "be thankful you're getting this" situation than Axl/Slash/Duff being back together. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

How do you know the rest of the band aka Duff and Slash enjoyed it? Because they say so? Look at the interviews where they talk about the album - hardly a glowing endorsement. Most of the time they say something diplomatic and quickly change the subject. Matt Sorum called CD a "toe tapper" - does that sound like someone who liked the album? Remember, all these guys quit the band over Axl's musical direction. By default, they weren't into these songs. I think Duff is on record as saying he really digs CITR and Better though.

By any measurable metric, Chinese Democracy was a failure - or to be kind, a massive disappointment. But look, if Axl sees Chinese Democracy as a triumph, then ultimately that's what counts in the end because the guy spent his entire prime creating that album. I would hope it would be immensely meaningful to him despite critical and commercial rejection.  

Don't take your own opinion as a given, I really like CD, it's not a failure at all to me and quite some people share this opinion, too. If you followed more recent reviews of CD, they were much more positive than those reviews right after release, too. I really assume those reviews were more a "but this is not a Guns N' Roses album" thing plus the long wait for the release and highly exaggerated expectations...

Edited by Zurimor