Velvet Revolver's Dave Kushner comes on Appetite for Distortion!

I listened to Contraband a month ago for the first time in a while and it sure is a good record. It's filled with great songs. Shame that Libertad was such a lackluster album. Velvet Revolver was really on fire on Contraband. It still is one of my favorite records. It was such an important part of my youth. A soundtrack to my late teens/early adulthood. And I learned to play guitar with that album too.

• Like 3

great podcast, some nice straight up honesty for dave, its funny how he admited he somehow wanted to be on guns n aliens tour

oh, and i agree with him, get out the door (which by alll accounts was written by him) is much better than she builds quick machines -- its on the top 3 songs of that album

the story about how they lost rick rubin (and got brandon o'boring instead) shows how one single bad decision (thanks scott!) can fuck with an album, a band etc

• Like 1

you guys seem to be real pros, you know how to get a person to talk

there are so many people in the GNR universe that would be fascinating to listen to on your podcast, specially people from the early days who have interesting stuff to say.

my first pick would be chris weber who played with axl and izzy on hollywood rose, co-wrote anything goes (and shadow of your love also, if i am not mistaken), he may have a lot of insteresting stuff to talk about them specially songwriting stuff and how they were pre-fame

oh, and i have to tell you this, one of you guys mentioned that GNR is great "because it made the transition to piano yada yada",

you are completely mistaken on this. the entire planet -- guys and girls, young and old -- was ADDICTED to Guns n Roses in 1989/1990 pre-illusions. The "rocker" guys were into everything, they loved appetite from beginning to end, and the girls and the more "generic pop audience" also liked/loved the band specially due to sweet child o mine and patience.

no need to november rain, no need for axl piano "epics", they had already conquered the planet way before these songs came along

hadn't axl pushed the issue to turn GNR into his piano epic eletronic whatever band, we would have dozens of great GNR albums by now

9 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Speaking of Velvet Revolver, I threw on Contraband today for the first time in a while. I knew I liked it, but I didn't realize how much of it I liked. It's almost a play-straight-through album for me.

Happened to me recently too. I always have people over to spin records on Friday nights and someone pulled Contraband asking to hear Fall To Pieces. We ended up spinning the entire LP because it's just so damn good.

• Like 3

i feel sorry i don't feel the same enthusiasm for contraband as you guys. here are some of the problems i find with this album.

the lyrics to a song like "big machine" are subpar to the point i can't listen to the song.

scott tries a low axl impersonation on "set me free" and everytime i heard it i just lol'd.

not a fan of slash's playing and tone on the album either. the snakepit albums have better sound and riffs (there is no "speed parade", "been there lately" or "mean bone" on here). though i guess the sound was a deliberate decision (i recall slash saying at the time he didnt want the album to sound like GNR) i think the album suffered. it sounds too nu-metal or grungy. there is not enough "space" in the sound if you know what i mean. it's a wall of sound. it's like they tried too hard to be contemporary. the sound exhausts my ears.

as for duff, i haven't heard him apart from a scream on the lead single. i was anticipating duff's involvment and it turned out a disapointment. duff is a great singer with an incredible bass tone, so why didnt they use it more? duff's solo work with loaded is much better

i can see that there are some great ideas on this album, but the execution is lacking. i can definately hear izzy's signature on some of these songs, which probably is what saved the album.

that said, i don't listen to it anymore. i rank it among the weakest in the entire GNR universe. it doesnt hold a candle to "aint life grand", "117°", "beatiful disease" or even "CD". 

Edited by action
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

I listened to Contraband a month ago for the first time in a while and it sure is a good record. It's filled with great songs. Shame that Libertad was such a lackluster album. Velvet Revolver was really on fire on Contraband. It still is one of my favorite records. It was such an important part of my youth. A soundtrack to my late teens/early adulthood. And I learned to play guitar with that album too.

I loved Libertad just as much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

you guys seem to be real pros, you know how to get a person to talk

there are so many people in the GNR universe that would be fascinating to listen to on your podcast, specially people from the early days who have interesting stuff to say.

my first pick would be chris weber who played with axl and izzy on hollywood rose, co-wrote anything goes (and shadow of your love also, if i am not mistaken), he may have a lot of insteresting stuff to talk about them specially songwriting stuff and how they were pre-fame

oh, and i have to tell you this, one of you guys mentioned that GNR is great "because it made the transition to piano yada yada",

you are completely mistaken on this. the entire planet -- guys and girls, young and old -- was ADDICTED to Guns n Roses in 1989/1990 pre-illusions. The "rocker" guys were into everything, they loved appetite from beginning to end, and the girls and the more "generic pop audience" also liked/loved the band specially due to sweet child o mine and patience.

no need to november rain, no need for axl piano "epics", they had already conquered the planet way before these songs came along

hadn't axl pushed the issue to turn GNR into his piano epic eletronic whatever band, we would have dozens of great GNR albums by now

Totally disagree.  And the 800 million views of NOVEMBER RAIN VIDEO ( by far the most viewed for gnr and any other band on youtube) also shows youre wrong.

I liked like crazy the afd and líes. But the illusions were the albums that made me became a GNR insane , and made me decide to be a musician.

I know gnr was already the number 1 band after afd and líes, but the illusions took them to the next level, genius axl work, besides most songs were already wrotten befor lies came out. 

If u wanted a colection of albums with the same music thats good for u and i respect that, but that would never get u to the places that gnr conquered. Evolution does. 

Im 100% sure that if slash and duff wouldnt have leave the band songs like twat, better or til would be memorable hits by now.

Its almost some kind of profanity or something like that if u dont recognize the succes and artistic value of the "illusions albums".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

My view is the opposite: hated Contraband and liked Libertad.

Exactly. Libertad was a far superior album to me - like the band found their groove finally. Too bad it tanked.

11 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Speaking of Velvet Revolver, I threw on Contraband today for the first time in a while. I knew I liked it, but I didn't realize how much of it I liked. It's almost a play-straight-through album for me.

Surprised to hear this. I found Contraband pretty dull the first time I heard it - Slither was a winner, but I never revisited the album after a few spins. Just felt really generic. Maybe this warrants a re-listen. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

I don't really pick albums, just listen to the whole dicog as a playlist. But I find myself gravitating more to the Contraband songs. There was a lot of intensity on that album that just didn't get replicated on Libertad. It felt like they went soft and more Weiland the second time around.

great to hear from Dave, he certainly froze on the izzy question. I appreciate his honesty.  

imo I thought both records were full of hits and misses equally... I felt a little more "fire in the belly" on contraband and "slither" was an instant classic and showed the true potential of the band.

Im surprised not to see anyone mention "she mine".  always thought the intro/build up was great  and Matt's pocket is incredibly tight on this one.  

I wish VR had released a third full record, would love to have seen them button it clean with a trilogy.  

listenening to Dave speak, I'm reminded what a shame about Scott, VR was the right band at the right time for him. 

so glad they never replaced Scott and hope they never do.  VR is for the history books, a short lived thing the way CREAM was a short lived thing for Clapton.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 1

I'm the guy from Cross Eyed Mary BTW who my band wanted to guest due to my mega-fandom and having supported Mike Monroe, Tracii Guns etc and my attempting at writing a GN'R book. I'd still love to but if you guys are getting Grammy winning guys now there is no need. Kudos gentlemen. Keep up the good work! \m/

Edited by Izzymacbeth

Contraband was the soundtrack to Leeds festival 2004 for me, Libertad had some great tunes on, but the best tracks the band did were not on either album; Come on, Come In from the fantastic four film and Dollar and this:

Edited by SoundOfAGun
  • Like 1

Brando & Scotto really do an awesome job. There is an obvious level of "finish" and professionalism to their approach that is really welcome in the online Guns community IMHO. You can tell why they are in radio.

Was sick out on my back this week and caught up on the 10-11 episodes I had missed and really enjoyed them. This was a great episode too. Kushner's a very nice "get" for them and they seemed to really earn his respect- which is huge. Hope they are able to land Gilby or Weber...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 1

Kush did this song with the guys he did the SOAS theme song with. Just a cover but a good one.

His name is also in the liner notes of an Infectious Grooves album but it doesn't say what song/songs he played on..

I saw a pic of him all decked out with long hair and shit when he was in some 80's metal band once. Was looking for it recently but couldn't find it anywhere.. Anyone?

• Like 1