New Richard Fortus Interview -- Discusses Status Of New Music

not really gonna take anything fortus says about new material too seriously cuz hes mentionned it before. maybe there was supposed to be a CD2 but the reunion threw a monkey wrench into the plans. who knows. im hopeful but not that optimistic at this point... until one of the big 3 say anything im not really gonna take any of this too seriously but a (good) radio single will put this band over the top again and im pretty sure they all know it

• Like 1

The thing that gives me hope is that this is the Axl/Slash/Duff machine and no detail about this seems to have been left to chance. There seems to have been thought and effort put into every aspect of this.

The hired guitarist isn't going to be suggesting a new album is coming unless he's under the impression it's something they're planning on.

• Like 1

Can we really blame Fortus though? He's the most accessible member of the band, and he's almost always the one to field these questions. What more can he say if Axl and co don't even know what they're doing? We must also remember that from at least 2014, things have been in a state of flux and likely unpredictable as far as touring and new music are concerned.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Literally the talk of every band member including Duff and Slash post '93. 

Right... :facepalm:

I'm sure Duff and Slash have been getting a lot of questions about new GNR recordings post '93.  They weren't even in the band for over 20 of those years...

Fortus has been saying the same shit for 15 years.

At least Duff and Slash have the decency to just say nothing at all !

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

If everything he said came to pass, we'd be on about the third follow-up to CD by now.

If Axl's original vision and dream had come to pass we'd be way past that. I know he's disowned his London '02 prophecy and the statement about phasing out the old material for new songs over the next year ('02 - '03) but it's still sad to think that back then he really wanted to prove what he could do and be a productive artist.

• Like 1

This band is not Nu Guns so its not really fair to compare it.  The management / record label never really had an interest in Nu Guns and were always hoping for a reunion with Slash.  Axl also seemed to be a lot more insecure in Nu Guns.  I think deep down he knew he had little public support and whatever support he had was going downhill by the time they were playing bowling alleys.  He probably knew a new album with DJ wasn't the best idea.  He also probably knew that people leaving the band made it less credible each time.  He seemed to be going through the motions from 2011 onwards.  It was probably more of a job / paycheck than something he was enjoying.

Things are so much different now.  The reunion has huge public support.  They are playing to huge crowds every other night.  Axl looks to be very confident.  Slash and Duff have probably taken a large amount of pressure off his shoulders.

Axl said he played music for Slash / Duff and they liked it.  Now Fortus said they've recorded some stuff while on the road.  (not in the studio).

We know that Management / labels would probably love a new album.

Its unfair to compare this version of the band and things said to Nu Guns, who were clearly going nowhere...especially between 2011 - 2014

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've never known a band so averse to writing and recording.

at this point its pretty safe to say that no writing/recording/releasing anything is axl's fault

everyone writes, records and releases stuff outside axl's band -- even the aliens

remove the aliens and get izzy with a decent drummer and these guys can write an GNR album in two weeks :headbang:

they actually did that a couple of times on the last two decades, including the pre-VR days when izzy joined slash, duff and matt for 2 weeks

===

so many bad calls have been preventing slash/izzy/duff (instrumental or axl-less GNR) to exist

we know now that the "genius" scott weiland rejected the songs slash and duff wrote with izzy on the "project"

we know now that slash rejected izzy's idea for the (pre-VR) "the project" to have izzy and duff singing lead vocals

any of these would be fantastic and likely a million times better songwise than VR or axl solo career

it is easy to imagine that an izzy/slash/duff/matt band or a VR playing/recording/releasing izzy songs would outdo axl solo career really fast

(a bit like Bruce outdid Bruce-less Maiden or Halford outdid Halford-less Judas Priest)

had any of that happened, it would likely provide an ideal scenario for an actual reunion tour in wich (these are much better circunstances) axl wouldnt be able to call the shots like he is doing right now

we would likely have had an actual reunion (no aliens except maybe dizzy) 5 or 10 years earlier

izzy would be involved as an equal member with a say on every decision

maybe even new music would be pouring out of them, who knows?

well, guess none of that "if" scenarios matter anyway

===

the one thing i am sure of is that izzy, slash, duff and a drummer can write a GNR album in two weeks. i am also sure that if axl decides that he wants it, he can join in, be part of it and -- likely -- take it to another level

:headbang:

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Right... :facepalm:

I'm sure Duff and Slash have been getting a lot of questions about new GNR recordings post '93.  They weren't even in the band for over 20 of those years...

Fortus has been saying the same shit for 15 years.

At least Duff and Slash have the decency to just say nothing at all !

I was referring to 93-97 era where Slash and Duff were talking about the follow up to illusions, but alright :shrugs:

When talking about Guns news Fortus always sounds like a hostage making a ransom tape; where they're instructed to act like they themselves are making the demand but, trembling lightly, they keep glancing to just off camera where you just know a big person with a gun is coaxing them along.

To my ears he was smoother and less stunted here, but still choppy. 

• Like 1

Well, Richard it totally right about at least one thing, the situation is too good not to release anything. They should do it soon and  not stretch the tour too long. If not now, then never, there'll probably be no better situation to do it.

6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

This band is not Nu Guns so its not really fair to compare it.  

Its unfair to compare this version of the band and things said to Nu Guns, who were clearly going nowhere...especially between 2011 - 2014

Oh please. Other than Slash and Duff being back in the mix, and more people actually attending the shows, there's not all that much difference between 2011-2014 & 2016-2017, IF you set the fanboy bias aside. It's STILL not really GNR because Izzy and Steven aren't involved, it's STILL Axl + the employees (only now Slash and Duff are employees too), the set lists are STILL damn near identical, band members STILL don't talk, and if they do they STILL only make vague puppet-like statements, there's STILL no new album of material, and Axl STILL sounds pretty weak from a vocal standpoint.

SO, I'll ask again, just how different is this current band from the 2011-2014 band, other than Axl & Slash both selling out so they could fatten their wallets to match their waist size?

Edited by todreamofwolves

the only part of fortus' words I believe for certain are that things are going well between the three gnr members and the holdover hired employees from axl's solo band.  it's just undeniable that axl is a better, stronger, more confident performer in the presence of his two real band mates.

One would hope all this positive energy would snowball into a new record... it'd be totally realistic if it was anybody else on earth beside axl rose.

but I'm rooting for axl. he's got a tattoo of "mojo" on his leg.  I hope he gets his back before his voice leaves him completely.  

and get rid of the employees... there's a rumor that izzy, Steven and Matt are all available.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

This band is not Nu Guns so its not really fair to compare it.  The management / record label never really had an interest in Nu Guns and were always hoping for a reunion with Slash.  Axl also seemed to be a lot more insecure in Nu Guns.  I think deep down he knew he had little public support and whatever support he had was going downhill by the time they were playing bowling alleys.  He probably knew a new album with DJ wasn't the best idea.  He also probably knew that people leaving the band made it less credible each time.  He seemed to be going through the motions from 2011 onwards.  It was probably more of a job / paycheck than something he was enjoying.

Things are so much different now.  The reunion has huge public support.  They are playing to huge crowds every other night.  Axl looks to be very confident.  Slash and Duff have probably taken a large amount of pressure off his shoulders.

Axl said he played music for Slash / Duff and they liked it.  Now Fortus said they've recorded some stuff while on the road.  (not in the studio).

We know that Management / labels would probably love a new album.

With the money this tour is making, I imagine a record company would release anything they can slap the classic logo onto and get onto shelves ASAP.

3 minutes ago, todreamofwolves said:

Oh please. Other than Slash and Duff being back in the mix, and more people actually attending the shows, there's not all that much difference between 2011-2014 & 2016-2017, IF you set the fanboy bias aside. It's STILL not really GNR because Izzy and Steven aren't involved, it's STILL Axl + the employees (only now Slash and Duff are employees too), the set lists are STILL damn near identical, band members STILL don't talk, and if they do they STILL only make vague puppet-like statements, there's STILL no new album of material, and Axl STILL sounds pretty weak from a vocal standpoint.

SO, I'll ask again, just how different is this current band from the 2011-2014 band, other than Axl & Slash both selling out so they could fatten their wallets to match their waist size?

Slash and Duff being back is a major difference, don't undersell it.

Everything this reunion/tour has been professional. From the Troubadour show, to the merchandise, to them wearing nostalgic t-shirts/clothes on stage, there's been a lot of thought and detail put into this that wasn't there before.

They're touring the world and filling stadiums, on the back of little more than "Slash is back now". They didn't have to talk, they didn't have to tell their story, all they had to do was get the world out that it was "real" GNR and now they're in stadiums and receiving offers to continue touring the world. And, to the people filling those stadiums, Axl/Slash is "real" GNR.

A record company would be 100% behind releasing a GNR album if one was turned into them in the near future and Duff/Slash being in the band increases the chances of that happening.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, todreamofwolves said:

Oh please. Other than Slash and Duff being back in the mix, and more people actually attending the shows, there's not all that much difference between 2011-2014 & 2016-2017, IF you set the fanboy bias aside. It's STILL not really GNR because Izzy and Steven aren't involved, it's STILL Axl + the employees (only now Slash and Duff are employees too), the set lists are STILL damn near identical, band members STILL don't talk, and if they do they STILL only make vague puppet-like statements, there's STILL no new album of material, Axl STILL sounds pretty weak from a vocal standpoint.

really the only part of this I would debate is that I don't believe slash and duff are employees.  I think it was axl's lucky day they agreed to play with him again, and I believe axl is reminded of this every day when he sees the size of the stage, the venue, the masses that are turning out, not to mention his paycheck, there's no longer any question axl was kidding himself and the "fans" who went along with his fake gnr "lineups".

I think the illusion that they are employees is created by the fact they are constantly appeasing axl as to not upset him, i.e. playing CD songs so they, and we, can watch axl masterbate.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soon said:

When talking about Guns news Fortus always sounds like a hostage making a ransom tape; where they're instructed to act like they themselves are making the demand but, trembling lightly, they keep glancing to just off camera where you just know a big person with a gun is coaxing them along.

To my ears he was smoother and less stunted here, but still choppy. 

dang that was so funny! love this post my friend :)

• Like 1

to me, this is good news. i personally dont recall anyone in the band saying specifically "yes, new music will be recorded an released" 

axl has said they have been working on new ideas for music, and so has rich. the interviewer asked and richard gave him a straight up answer to a new album...YES

• Like 1