New Richard Fortus Interview -- Discusses Status Of New Music

7 hours ago, Stoymatic said:

to me, this is good news. i personally dont recall anyone in the band saying specifically "yes, new music will be recorded an released" 

axl has said they have been working on new ideas for music, and so has rich. the interviewer asked and richard gave him a straight up answer to a new album...YES

It's been said before. I think all of them have a gag order so they can't say more than ''sure yeah music woo'' when being confronted.

On 6/4/2017 at 8:14 PM, AslatIE said:

It's been said before. I think all of them have a gag order so they can't say more than ''sure yeah music woo'' when being confronted.

NuGNR were Axl and then a bunch of guys on the same level who were under the impression the music they'd recorded already was going to get released somehow, so when they were asked, that's what they said - it's done, they hope to get it released.

If he's been recording recently, it's with some combination of Axl/Slash/Duff, and those guys aren't recording or letting him say anything about it if they're not at least exploring a new album.

As much as I agree that this has been said a million times before, the situation now seems to be completely different. NuGNR used to be depressing, Axl always seemed bothered with something and now he just feels relaxed, natural. Having Slash and Duff back def took a lot of weight from his shoulders and I think this will help in a future release. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, moreblack said:

What did everyone expect? there's a shit ton of money to be made with the reunion hitting all the stadiums, probably multiple times. They were never gonna just play one tour and go into the studio. It's not like albums make money these days anyway. But touring a that big level sure does.

But they'll need a new album sooner or later if they want to continue playing in stadiums in the years to come.

Edited by supercool

On 6/2/2017 at 8:01 PM, Marie82 said:

Good to know they have at least the intention of doing something.

Thanks for posting!

Having an intention to do something means jack. 

Everyday I wake up and have the intention of turning my overgrown disgrace of a garden into my own slice of paradise, but every night I go to bed looking at the jungle outside my bedroom window.

If all Axl has right now is an "intention" to record new music, then we're in for a loooooong wait.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2017 at 6:49 AM, ludurigan said:

at this point its pretty safe to say that no writing/recording/releasing anything is axl's fault

everyone writes, records and releases stuff outside axl's band -- even the aliens

remove the aliens and get izzy with a decent drummer and these guys can write an GNR album in two weeks :headbang:

they actually did that a couple of times on the last two decades, including the pre-VR days when izzy joined slash, duff and matt for 2 weeks

===

so many bad calls have been preventing slash/izzy/duff (instrumental or axl-less GNR) to exist

we know now that the "genius" scott weiland rejected the songs slash and duff wrote with izzy on the "project"

we know now that slash rejected izzy's idea for the (pre-VR) "the project" to have izzy and duff singing lead vocals

any of these would be fantastic and likely a million times better songwise than VR or axl solo career

it is easy to imagine that an izzy/slash/duff/matt band or a VR playing/recording/releasing izzy songs would outdo axl solo career really fast

(a bit like Bruce outdid Bruce-less Maiden or Halford outdid Halford-less Judas Priest)

had any of that happened, it would likely provide an ideal scenario for an actual reunion tour in wich (these are much better circunstances) axl wouldnt be able to call the shots like he is doing right now

we would likely have had an actual reunion (no aliens except maybe dizzy) 5 or 10 years earlier

izzy would be involved as an equal member with a say on every decision

maybe even new music would be pouring out of them, who knows?

well, guess none of that "if" scenarios matter anyway

===

the one thing i am sure of is that izzy, slash, duff and a drummer can write a GNR album in two weeks. i am also sure that if axl decides that he wants it, he can join in, be part of it and -- likely -- take it to another level

:headbang:

The pre-Scott VR songs we heard were bad. I mean one was Bon Jovi bad. Scott was kind enough to say they sounded like dated Bad Company. 

Gotta be honest. Scott was 100% correct. VR and Contraband would've never achieved the same level of commercial success with those songs. It's shocking cos you'd think they would've produced better songs. 

Maybe they were going through a period of writer block. If they got together today I'm sure they'd come up with something better. As VR helped Slash and Duff become better players and musicians. They may have a better shit at recreating the magic of AFD/UYI, epecially with Adler involved 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

No only Axl. The other founding GNR members love putting out new music to tour on. 

Yes. You can see the changes on his face when the question about 'new music' is announced. It is like he has some sort of allergy to the concept!

If I was in his shoes I'd have gotten bored with just playing the hits every night.

3 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

The pre-Scott VR songs we heard were bad. I mean one was Bon Jovi bad. Scott was kind enough to say they sounded like dated Bad Company. 

Gotta be honest. Scott was 100% correct. VR and Contraband would've never achieved the same level of commercial success with those songs. It's shocking cos you'd think they would've produced better songs. 

Maybe they were going through a period of writer block. If they got together today I'm sure they'd come up with something better. As VR helped Slash and Duff become better players and musicians. They may have a better shit at recreating the magic of AFD/UYI, epecially with Adler involved 

I am not sure those pre-Scott demo songs we heard were the songs they wrote with Izzy. There is just no evidence of that whatsoever and every info that is available makes me believe they sent "their" songs to people and not "the songs they wrote with Izzy". It was likely "their songs" that sounded like "bad GNR songs" or "bad company" (just listen to any Slash album and you have loads of song like that on each abd everyone of them)

Yes, some of the pre-Scott demos were bad.

Problem is that in the end they ALL SEEMED TO BE BAD because they all had bad vocal melodies (and most of them had also bad voices). That is a lethal combination that can damage even a great song and make it look/sound bad.

Also I am pretty sure the guys didnt send their best songs to people. I dont think any band sends their best material to unknow people. They must have sent some throaway tracks or some B-list tracks at best to these people..

Also, Izzy was with them for two weeks. They were together for like a year before Scott, right? When Dave Kushner gott worried that he would lose his spot to Izzy, Duff told him to calm down because Izzy would disappear in two weeks. And that was exactly what happened -- probably after Izzy's idea to have him and Duff sharing lead vocals duties was rejected by Slash. So after that, knowing how much Slash prefers to work on his songs, its pretty likely that they abandoned (put aside) the Izzy songs and got to work on their songs

Back to the vocals issue, I dont remember any pre-Scott demos that were instrumentals-only. Maybe one or two. Do you have any? Id love to hear them. About a year or two ago some guy who sang over one of those pre-Scott demos posted them here and he refused to post intrumental-only versions of the songs -- he only shared the ones with vocals. And the vocals were not that great so they make the song look/sound bad/boring.

===

About Scott, I think its pretty obvious that Scott can create much better vocal melodies than any of the guys that sung over those demos. Some oh his songs on STP and even two on three on VR are absolutely brilliant but unfortunatelly his style doesnt really fit GNR-type songs. His vocals go to a completely different direction on a song and demand a completely diffferent song-type to reach its full potential. He likes to sing songs that dont sound like GNR. Thats allright, no problem with that. Problem is that Slash and Duff and Dave (just as much as Slash, Duff and Izzy) cant really create STP type songs so that explains why a lot of VR songs were clearly "frankesteined" by Scott and his producer on VR -- Dave Kushner said that this happened with pretty much every song of Libertad last week on the Appetite for Distortion podcast. Its likely the same happened (maybe at a minor level on Contraband).

===

I dont believe in writers block for Izzy and Slash. Izzy has been releasing album after album of consistent good rock songs (some of them actually great) for decades. Slash does the same, only problem/difference with Slash albums is that he writes fabulous riffs and licks but they all get lost among some really bad song structures and (specially on the SMKC albums) some truly horrible vocals.

Edited by ludurigan

4 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

For better or worse, Slash/Duff seem pretty content to just write music and it doesn't necessarily all have to be amazing, epic music. Jam, write, record, release,  repeat. Maybe they need a guy like Axl or Scott to really force them to reach their full potential. 

• Like 1

Just now, Modano09 said:

For better or worse, Slash/Duff seem pretty content to just write music and it doesn't necessarily all have to be amazing, epic music. Jam, write, record, release,  repeat. Maybe they need a guy like Axl or Scott to really force them to reach their full potential. 

Slash is capable. He proved it with SMKC but obviously having imput from singer songwriters like Axl and Scott brings the songs to a whole other stratosphere level. Specially Scott and his knack for writing great melodies. 

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

I am not sure those pre-Scott demo songs we heard were the songs they wrote with Izzy. There is just no evidence of that whatsoever and every info that is available makes me believe they sent "their" songs to people and not "the songs they wrote with Izzy". It was likely "their songs" that sounded like "bad GNR songs" or "bad company" (just listen to any Slash album and you have loads of song like that on each abd everyone of them)

Yes, some of the pre-Scott demos were bad.

Problem is that in the end they ALL SEEMED TO BE BAD because they all had bad vocal melodies (and most of them had also bad voices). That is a lethal combination that can damage even a great song and make it look/sound bad.

Also I am pretty sure the guys didnt send their best songs to people. I dont think any band sends their best material to unknow people. They must have sent some throaway tracks or some B-list tracks at best to these people..

Also, Izzy was with them for two weeks. They were together for like a year before Scott, right? When Dave Kushner gott worried that he would lose his spot to Izzy, Duff told him to calm down because Izzy would disappear in two weeks. And that was exactly what happened -- probably after Izzy's idea to have him and Duff sharing lead vocals duties was rejected by Slash. So after that, knowing how much Slash prefers to work on his songs, its pretty likely that they abandoned (put aside) the Izzy songs and got to work on their songs

Back to the vocals issue, I dont remember any pre-Scott demos that were instrumentals-only. Maybe one or two. Do you have any? Id love to hear them. About a year or two ago some guy who sang over one of those pre-Scott demos posted them here and he refused to post intrumental-only versions of the songs -- he only shared the ones with vocals. And the vocals were not that great so they make the song look/sound bad/boring.

===

About Scott, I think its pretty obvious that Scott can create much better vocal melodies than any of the guys that sung over those demos. Some oh his songs on STP and even two on three on VR are absolutely brilliant but unfortunatelly his style doesnt really fit GNR-type songs. His vocals go to a completely different direction on a song and demand a completely diffferent song-type to reach its full potential. He likes to sing songs that dont sound like GNR. Thats allright, no problem with that. Problem is that Slash and Duff and Dave (just as much as Slash, Duff and Izzy) cant really create STP type songs so that explains why a lot of VR songs were clearly "frankesteined" by Scott and his producer on VR -- Dave Kushner said that this happened with pretty much every song of Libertad last week on the Appetite for Distortion podcast. Its likely the same happened (maybe at a minor level on Contraband).

===

I dont believe in writers block for Izzy and Slash. Izzy has been releasing album after album of consistent good rock songs (some of them actually great) for decades. Slash does the same, only problem/difference with Slash albums is that he writes fabulous riffs and licks but they all get lost among some really bad song structures and (specially on the SMKC albums) some truly horrible vocals.

That's a possibility. I know one of the Izzy songs if I remember correctly became Do it for the Kids and possibly Dirty little thing. And Sorum said he put the Izzy songs up there with the best of GN'R had they put them on record. 

Scott said he didn't like the initial batch of songs they sent him but then they sent another batch that sounded more like STP. That's when he decided to give it a shot. Guessing those were Slither, Superhuman, Illegal eye and Big Machine which Scott tore apart and rearranged all the parts. As he did with Do it for the kids if I remember correctly. 

And cant forget the period when Josh todd and Keith Nelson were in. Forget if it was before or after Izzy? Slash came up with the riff that became Buckcherry's huge comeback hit "Crazy Bitch"

edit: 

it was Slash, Duff, Matt, Keith & Josh. 

Then Slash wast feeling the Buckxherry guys. He wanted to create a more special high caliber kick ass/memorable rn'r band.

then they brought in Dave Kushner. Then Izzy showed up for 2 weeks and left

Edited by Top-Hatted One

As for the demos I only remember hearing the ones with vocals. Got them on a CD-R somewhere.

Pleasin' which the vocals from singer who auditioned sounded like Bon Jovi and the riff later became Slash's song "Ghost"

And the 2 Kelly Shaefer(Neurotica) songs "Room 169" & Eye for an eye which I really dug.

lastly remember the guy on the Making of VR documentary from the English bad Little Hell. The guys loved the demo he sent back. And the clips we heard sounded great. So they flew him to LA and he stunk it up playing live with them. Turns out the songs were crafted and pro tools to death in a studio. The guy was an amateur and not fit for a band of that caliber

Edited by Top-Hatted One

2 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

That's a possibility. I know one of the Izzy songs if I remember correctly became Do it for the Kids and possibly Dirty little thing. And Sorum said he put the Izzy songs up there with the best of GN'R had they put them on record. 

Scott said he didn't like the initial batch of songs they sent him but then they sent another batch that sounded more like STP. That's when he decided to give it a shot. Guessing those were Slither, Superhuman, Illegal eye and Big Machine which Scott tore apart and rearranged all the parts. As he did with Do it for the kids if I remember correctly. 

And cant forget the period when Josh todd and Keith Nelson were in. Forget if it was before or after Izzy? Slash came up with the riff that became Buckcherry's huge comeback hit "Crazy Bitch"

edit: 

it was Slash, Duff, Matt, Keith & Josh. 

Then Slash wast feeling the Buckxherry guys. He wanted to create a more special high caliber kick ass/memorable rn'r band.

then they brought in Dave Kushner. Then Izzy showed up for 2 weeks and left

Yeah, "Do it For the Kids" apparently it was the riff that became two completely different songs, "Do it For the Kids" on VR and "Bomb" on Izzy's album Like a Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7WPVSd5Eoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqIUAkYwJL0

Downliner, who is the "go-to guy" on this forum forall things izzy, wrote this in 2015 on the Izzy in VR thread

On 3/19/2015 at 1:33 AM, downliner said:

From memory this is what I recall:-

In Slashs bio, one of "The Project" (early VR) pics says "We may have been rehearsing a song called SNAFU" - this appeared on Izzys "Dog" album (recorded in 2003 but not released until 2005).

Duff confirmed that it's no coincidence that Izzys "Bomb" from Like A Dog sounds very similiar to VR's "Do It For The Kids".

It was Izzys idea to just hire a van and play some low key stuff, with him and Duff sharing vocals. Slash wanted a singer, and Izzy bailed around the time VH1 turned up to film the "finding a singer" process for TV.

I can't remember the dates, but Izzy/Slash/Duff recorded together in late 2001/early 2002 - see "Three Out Of Five Ain't Bad" article on MTV. I think this occured just before "The Project/VR" - and after Izzy bailed The Project he took his songs and recorded Like A Dog, whilst Duff/Slash went on to form VR. The drummer on the Izzy/Slash/Duff album was Izzys go-to drummer Taz Bentley who once mentioned it in an interview:-

Q: Before I ask about 76, did you ever play any shows with Izzy Stradlin?
Taz: Yeah, we toured Japan once. About once every year we go out and do an album. He doesn't believe in "the machine" at all. He hates the industry, so initially he licensed the albums overseas and wouldn't tell anyone in America. He's a really big fan of the Internet. Now we'll go record and he'll slap it up on iTunes. That's been a hoot. Duff's on most of them. There was a time when Slash, Izzy, Duff and I got together a few times and recorded some stuff. I think it was Duff who called it Four Wheels, No Axl. But none of that stuff ever got released. It's kind of fun to sit around, be a fly on the wall, playing the drums with these guys and say, "How did I get here?"

slash said once that the result of (some of) those Izzy/Slash/Duff sessions were "the best guns n roses instrumental album"

i am sure that if you pick ANY song from said "guns n roses instrumental album" it will be like 18 times better than 99% of everything these guys did on their solo careers

cause izzy and slash are just too good together. they cant help it

(but i am digressing)

===

if i am not mistaken the buckcherry guys were there before izzy

if i am not mistaken they joined duff/matt/slash on the randy castillo tribute (http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/threads/12255-Slash-Izzy-Duff-and-Matt-to-perform-at-tribute-to-Randy-Castillo-in-LA)

NEWS - Former Guns N' Roses Members Reunite At Randy Castillo Benefit
05/01/2002
(5/1/02, 7 a.m. ET) -- Hollywood rock 'n' rollers got a special treat Tuesday night (April 29) during the Randy Castillo benefit show at the Key Club when the '90s-era Guns N' Roses lineup, sans Axl Rose, reunited onstage with guest vocalists including Buckcherry singer Josh Todd, Aerosmith's Steven Tyler, and Cypress Hill's Sen Dog. The band--consisting of ex-Guns guitarist Slash and Gilby Clarke, bassist Duff McKagen, and drummer Matt Sorum, plus Buckcherry guitarist Keith Nelson--played a short but blistering set that included Guns classics and some choice cover tunes under the name Buck N' Roses (and/or Cherry Roses depending on who you asked).

there is some nice footage from that night = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpP2jHcYpM8

i may be mistaken but if i remember correctly it was after this tribute that slash, duff annd matt decided to play together again

(i had no idea that slash came up with the crazy bitch riff)

thats slash being slash, that guy creates monster riffs just like that...

give that to izzy and he will create great songs around those riffs just like that...

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes. You can see the changes on his face when the question about 'new music' is announced. It is like he has some sort of allergy to the concept!

Definitely don't get that impression from the Brazilian interview 

Well, since Richard said so, I would start checking out your local record store each and every Tuesday. You never know, you might just walk In and see A new Guns album on the shelf.