New Richard Fortus Interview -- Discusses Status Of New Music

I'm sorry but I want to hear the CD "trilogy" era songs before I hear any new reunion music.  That stuff should be released before a reunion album IMO.

We've been listening to Duff, Slash and Izzy all along since 96. There really isn't any shortage of listening to those guys play, whether it be with each other or not. 

I want to fucking hear Axl sing dammit!!! We've all been teased with "3 albums worth of material" and "new music soon" that they just need to release it already. Get it over with. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

I'm sorry but I want to hear the CD "trilogy" era songs before I hear any new reunion music.  That stuff should be released before a reunion album IMO.

We've been listening to Duff, Slash and Izzy all along since 96. There really isn't any shortage of listening to those guys play, whether it be with each other or not. 

I want to fucking hear Axl sing dammit!!! We've all been teased with "3 albums worth of material" and "new music soon" that they just need to release it already. Get it over with. 

Maybe it'll be like the KISS reunion where the previous line up had an album in the can which was shelved after the unplugged reunion... But the album leaked so KISS decided to release it, but they didn't do anything much to promote in seen as the line up that recorded it were out for the classic guys.

I'm mixed as to what I want to hear next. The only thing I know I want from GN'R is a new record. It's a bonus if Slash and Duff work on it, but at this stage I don't mind either way. Whichever is fastest and best quality music.

• Like 1

I wonder how Axl really feels about this and if he ever thinks when he goes to bed at night: ''my god... I'm in my mid 50s and have been under contract since I was in my mid 20s and I have released 4 albums worth of material... there are kids not even 30 yet that have already released more music than me... what the fuck have I been doing?''.

• Like 3

On 7.6.2017 at 2:54 PM, EvanG said:

If Axl is such a musical genius then it is the craziest thing in the world that he has released so little music in his 55 years on this planet. It's absurd.

Axl was a genius between 86-91. And he had the perfect musicians around him. Since 91 he is just milking the concert cow. Using the GNR brand was a curse for any new music ambitions. You simply can't top AFD and UYI with different musicians. If he would have released Snakepit and VR stuff with the old members I would have been totally fine though. 

But all we got was Shacklers Prostitute Silkworms. 

• Like 1

I would like to point out one thing. He said that they haven't actually recorded anything, he basically said "I would love to, but it's not really up to me, I think the band sounds fantastic and I've heard some talk". It's definitely less annoying than what he's said in previous years. BUT I will also say that when he said "I think there'll be a new album next year" that, that was the information he was given at that time, I don't think he said it in order to annoy the fanbase. I'd guess the change of plans took him by surprise each and every time, Plus he did say "I know Axl is working on vocals all this week" there definitely was intentions to release something. Richard is not behind the steering wheel when it comes to releasing albums... "So why does he talk about it then" well, he's asked in interviews whenever he does them... it's te main uestion people want answers on, besides Izzy/Steven and he's pretty much the only member of the band that does any media.

However, nothing has been released and we have seen this interview in some form at least ten times now since 2011, and it is frustrating. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I wonder how Axl really feels about this and if he ever thinks when he goes to bed at night: ''my god... I'm in my mid 50s and have been under contract since I was in my mid 20s and I have released 4 albums worth of material... there are kids not even 30 yet that have already released more music than me... what the fuck have I been doing?''.

The irony is that in the 90s Axl had repeatedly said that he didn't like touring and he preferred working in the studio. And he ended up being a touring act.

Nobody knows if he changed in regards to this and he is happy with himself (I don't think he is) or he just gave up. Either way it's sad, because I always thought he had much more music in him than what he has given. The industry has changed and it's more about touring now, but he could have found ways to be creative like other musicians do.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The irony is that in the 90s Axl had repeatedly said that he didn't like touring and he preferred working in the studio. And he ended up being a touring act.

Nobody knows if he changed in regards to this and he is happy with himself (I don't think he is) or he just gave up. Either way it's sad, because I always thought he had much more music in him than what he has given. The industry has changed and it's more about touring now, but he could have found ways to be creative like other musicians do.

Let's hope he decided to collect all the money he can with the NITL tour so he doesn't have to worry about money ever again and he can focus on releasing new music non-stop from now on.

Definitely not gonna happen but it'd be nice :P

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

The industry has changed and it's more about touring now, but he could have found ways to be creative like other musicians do.

Definitely, there are bands that have a very hard time releasing albums nowadays because of how the industry is, but they still manage to put out albums one way or another. There's no excuse for him to only release one album in all those decades, except perhaps lack of good songs, but if that is not the case, then there's something seriously wrong with him... but I guess I'm stating the obvious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Definitely, there are bands that have a very hard time releasing albums nowadays because of how the industry is, but they still manage to put out albums one way or another. There's no excuse for him to only release one album in all those decades, except perhaps lack of good songs, but if that is not the case, then there's something seriously wrong with him... but I guess I'm stating the obvious.

I think that part of the problem was the GnR name combined with Axl's idiosyncrasy and mental state as well as with the state of the music industry.

Maybe if Axl had chosen to go with another name and move on from GnR he would have released more music (not a whole lot, but definitely more than one album in 25 years).

Axl could easily release music if he had wanted to. This is 100% all in him  

Release the remaining 25-40 CD songs on ITunes for 99 cents each.   All at once, two per month, whatever. SHARE THE MUSIC WITH YOUE FANS. Axl doesn't need the loot, but the iTunes money would be a nice bonus/gift to the band members that created those songs. 

The current lineup should have been writing on tour and then hit the studio during the long break they just had.

This lineup should have released an album during this tour. Even an EP. Hell, during their break they could have recorded four new songs and then either four studio versions of all the covers they play (Seeker, riff raff, etc) OR pick their four favorite current live versions (slash's tale on Better, coma, etc). I just suggest the EP because they could have knocked it out very quickly. 

In terms of marketing and sales - it's an absolute blown opportunity to not have had some sort of material being released at the start of this mini-reunion. That's when the love and Q factor was off the charts. A new GnR album released at the start of this tour would have sold 5-6 million copies. But the longer they wait.....that number will go down. And the longer they wait the less chance we get an album, as that big three relationship will split apart again.  

Any band that cared about their fans and had semi-competent  management would have released a new album to go with their reunion tour. 

tl/dr - If Axl wanted to share music with his fans he would have shared music with his fans.

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:41 PM, xBrownstonex said:

I guess, but what else can he say? If he is asked that question everytime, he can't say more than that, cause apparently there just isn't more to tell regarding new music.

Well, he could try being honest. But it's 2017, honesty doesn't work these days god forbid :lol::facepalm:

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:18 PM, BlueJean Baby said:

Check out @955KLOS's Tweet:

Not sure if this interview is their source or what ?

Some post looking for attention. Axl will bust his ass making sure new guns music doesn't get released, clearly

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:54 AM, EvanG said:

If Axl is such a musical genius then it is the craziest thing in the world that he has released so little music in his 55 years on this planet. It's absurd.

This. If you're creative, you share your art. Axl has nothing because he has the worst therapy sessions these days apparently... if it looks like a duck, it's a fact

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

Axl could easily release music if he had wanted to. This is 100% all in him  

Release the remaining 25-40 CD songs on ITunes for 99 cents each.   All at once, two per month, whatever. SHARE THE MUSIC WITH YOUE FANS. Axl doesn't need the loot, but the iTunes money would be a nice bonus/gift to the band members that created those songs. 

The current lineup should have been writing on tour and then hit the studio during the long break they just had.

This lineup should have released an album during this tour. Even an EP. Hell, during their break they could have recorded four new songs and then either four studio versions of all the covers they play (Seeker, riff raff, etc) OR pick their four favorite current live versions (slash's tale on Better, coma, etc). I just suggest the EP because they could have knocked it out very quickly. 

In terms of marketing and sales - it's an absolute blown opportunity to not have had some sort of material being released at the start of this mini-reunion. That's when the love and Q factor was off the charts. A new GnR album released at the start of this tour would have sold 5-6 million copies. But the longer they wait.....that number will go down. And the longer they wait the less chance we get an album, as that big three relationship will split apart again.  

Any band that cared about their fans and had semi-competent  management would have released a new album to go with their reunion tour. 

tl/dr - If Axl wanted to share music with his fans he would have shared music with his fans.

They've waited so long to release something that the expectations for a follow-up are Chinese Democracy x 10. Had the old band released more music, it wouldn't have been that way but now if they release anything that isn't on the level of AFD or Illusions, it's a critical fail and potentially damaging to their legacy. And - Axl's voice is nowhere near as good as it used to be. 

Chinese Democracy and Spaghetti Incident already tarnished their legendary career - another album, especially without Izzy is a dicey proposition. They're damned either way.

I'd be up for a box-set though - just a collection of all the demos and chinese leftovers - everything. Then, if they want to risk a new album - by all means. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RONIN said:

They've waited so long to release something that the expectations for a follow-up are Chinese Democracy x 10. Had the old band released more music, it wouldn't have been that way but now if they release anything that isn't on the level of AFD or Illusions, it's a critical fail and potentially damaging to their legacy. And - Axl's voice is nowhere near as good as it used to be. 

Chinese Democracy and Spaghetti Incident already tarnished their legendary career - another album, especially without Izzy is a dicey proposition. They're damned either way.

I'd be up for a box-set though - just a collection of all the demos and chinese leftovers - everything. Then, if they want to risk a new album - by all means. 

I don't know if expectations are that high. At least not yet. 

I think people kinda get this is a nostalgia thing, and that's a big part of the appeal. See Axl and Slash, "real" GNR, play. All you have to do is look at them and know it's not 1991 anymore. If they let the "Axl/Slash/Duff" reunion linger too long people will start to want/anticipate new music and have expectations for it, but if they just got something out it'll be what it is. It'll sell. Probably be decent. I think Contraband is the level they should shoot for, fun rock album that's worth picking up and an enjoyable listen, even if it doesn't change your life or stick with you. The longer they wait to put something out, the more it becomes "Chinese" thing where it's going to be the most epic thing ever.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I don't know if expectations are that high. At least not yet. 

I think people kinda get this is a nostalgia thing, and that's a big part of the appeal. See Axl and Slash, "real" GNR, play. All you have to do is look at them and know it's not 1991 anymore. If they let the "Axl/Slash/Duff" reunion linger too long people will start to want/anticipate new music and have expectations for it, but if they just got something out it'll be what it is. It'll sell. Probably be decent. I think Contraband is the level they should shoot for, fun rock album that's worth picking up and an enjoyable listen, even if it doesn't change your life or stick with you. The longer they wait to put something out, the more it becomes "Chinese" thing where it's going to be the most epic thing ever.

I think that once the tour wraps up will be everyones questions about new music. I can understand everyone seeing them because we all thought or new this would never happen. It has and allow the tour to continue and see it for what it is which is axl and slash playing together again. Once the tour wraps the question will be, what now?. That will either be new music of some description or another tour or SlASH leaving to focus on SKMC.  Its either new music or bust.  I agree with Ronin, Tom2112 and Apoloos comments. Axl would be best to maybe trawl through any of the CD2 songs that the current band may like and I would keep maybe 5 Any left over songs bin or delete. Any further songs should be written from scratch taking in all band members input. In the time they take to work on an album, release a DVD for the Troubador show as a box set with illusions and appetite tours cleaned up on DVD to tie the fans down for a new album and also helps clean the slate for this band to release new music under a new lineup, so it looks more legitimate. With people here posting that bands don't like releasing anything new or don't know how with technology is bullshit. Technology savvy bands/artists know how to release music  and especially when they have savvy management to help push the music out, which unfortunately isn't what we have with team fandango. Duff enjoys the internet because to him it helps him reach out to fans more easily. Its the 2017 punk way of allowing a band to establish a relationship with the fans. Alternatively what the band could have done at the start is do 2 new songs either as written from scratch or CD2 songs reworked and release 1 new song and add to the setlist, add to radio and iTunes and with  Guns making that advertised sign in LA tells people that guns is back. Then as the tour rolls on 6 months later release another new song until the tour then wraps up. They could release 2 or 3 new songs during the time of the tour until they are ready to do a new album after the tour.

On 6/2/2017 at 0:03 PM, Tyler Drama said:

Same answer every year, with every line-up. Meaningless.

I dunno, I honestly have a bit more hope now that Duff and Slash are in the mix.  Especially Duff.

Duff was, if reports are true, sort of the middle man who got the reunion rolling to begin with.  He also even convinced Axl to start a nuGNR show with YCBM, I seriously think that if Duff and Slash have some serious want to put out an album Axl will give their thoughts a serious consideration.

Not that I am saying let's all count on a new album happening soon, however I have a better feeling about it than I did during the 2009-2014 years.  You can call it wishful thinking though, I can't refute that lol

Edited by WhazUp