New Richard Fortus Interview -- Discusses Status Of New Music

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Guns are going deep into to over time to kick the winning field goal. 

It's already too late for that. They're old and fat now. It's over. The fat lady has sung. It's done. Elvis has left the building. So long. Farewell and goodnight. Auf wiedersehen. Adieu. Bye Bye now.

56 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

My favourite overdub is this one that goes blublublublu in Riyadh.

Is Riad with the intro where they had about 14 years to do one and ended up stealing it from some German guy anyway? Or maybe it was Scraped.

I actually like that Chinese Democracy is overflowing with all kind of sonic shit. It sounds great on headphones. I like raw and simple records, like AFD and Lies, but I also love these kind of more-is-more -type of albums. ChiDem sounds really Axl. It's like condenced Axl. In hindsight, yeah, it probably would've been a good idea to release it under the moniker of Axl Rose, but it kind of is a logical next step in a way when you look at how UYI's were produced.

Though I love the album, it sure is sad that ChiDem lacks the presence of that hard rock, bluesy -thing that Slash and Duff bring to the table. But then again, I was a teen when nu-metal was popular and I still am a huge Korn-fan, and I also love Nine Inch Nails, so I don't really dislike the soundscapes (or fartnoises as some people say :D ) of Shackler, Better and Scrapped. 

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

What you find repulsive happens to be interesting to others. If you compare CD to UYI, it isn't too familiar sounding, that's for sure... yet, it manages to be far more interesting than UYI. 

That is called the stockholm syndrome.

When Slash had to rewrite the intro of Better last year, it made me realise how bad the intro initially was, the first time I've heard it. The truth of the matter is, a Guns N' Roses song immediately sparks, just like the first E chord on Back In Black. Chinese is filled with lackluster intros and choruses. I do love the album, I think I talk about it well enough, but in the end, this isn't music people wants to listen right after. It isn't natural, that's mostly what brainwashing looks like.

53 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

My favourite overdub is this one that goes blublublublu in Riyadh.

It was so good even Pitman had to steal it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BreakDown2014 said:

What you find repulsive happens to be interesting to others. If you compare CD to UYI, it isn't too familiar sounding, that's for sure... yet, it manages to be far more interesting than UYI. 

???

No it doesn't

1 hour ago, BreakDown2014 said:

CD a more interesting album than UYI?  nothing like starting the day with a bit of humor.  

I'd be amazed if this lineup released any 'new' music. All depends on Axl and he has given no indication that he wants to do that. There's also all the pressrue that comes with releasing new GNR music. Bar is set incredibly high and nothing they do will be good enough to please everyone. Can see them perhaps reworking and releasing unfinished CD era stuff. Didn't Axl hint at something like that at the China Exchange interview? I really hope I'm proven wrong though.

Ultimately I think they will do this colossal money maker 'reunion' tour and Axl will then disappear from the spotlight. Again hope I'm wrong.

7 hours ago, BreakDown2014 said:

If you compare CD to UYI, it isn't too familiar sounding, that's for sure... yet, it manages to be far more interesting than UYI. 

It might be a interesting record, but when I like a duck, I want a duck and not a flying beaver.

7 hours ago, EvanG said:

It's already too late for that. They're old and fat now. It's over. The fat lady has sung. It's done. Elvis has left the building. So long. Farewell and goodnight. Auf wiedersehen. Adieu. Bye Bye now.

ftom the pov of the rock world or wider music world. But for GNR fans who show up at these shows, they will buy it. So when they are ready the fans will be there. It's like the final piece of the puzzle. 

7 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

When Slash had to rewrite the intro of Better last year, it made me realise how bad the intro initially was, the first time I've heard it. The truth of the matter is, a Guns N' Roses song immediately sparks, just like the first E chord on Back In Black. Chinese is filled with lackluster intros and choruses. I do love the album, I think I talk about it well enough, but in the end, this isn't music people wants to listen right after. It isn't natural, that's mostly what brainwashing looks like.

All that is taste. CD was written like a classic nu metal album in a way. But has that classic rock base and whatever secret ingriedent that makes it GNR. I guess I'm saying it's not the style, but I could buy the sound doesn't give people what they think GNR should be. But that is kind of limiting. What we are saying is that Better isn't good because of its nu metal (for want a of a better term) elements and it's not hard rock production. 

50 minutes ago, wasted said:

All that is taste. CD was written like a classic nu metal album in a way. But has that classic rock base and whatever secret ingriedent that makes it GNR. I guess I'm saying it's not the style, but I could buy the sound doesn't give people what they think GNR should be. But that is kind of limiting. What we are saying is that Better isn't good because of its nu metal (for want a of a better term) elements and it's not hard rock production. 

And I don't disagree with that.

As long as it sounds good live I have no much problem. I do love Better, obviously, love the album version, the leaks, and it's a great staple live but not every song worked out that well, mostly because of the way the album was produced or the lineups, or the sound Axl tried to achieve at the time. Scraped, Riad never worked live because Buckethead wasn't there. The band had to perform the Chinese songs over and over, the proper GnR way, until it sounded right live, with different lineups. While I love the energy of the early performances in 2006 or in 2009, I dothink the performances were quite messy. The intro of Better during Rock Am Ring was awkward. I think having Duff & Slash now in the band help greatly to the unity of the sound live and on record. We have great sounding bass and great sounding guitars, hard rock, and I understand that half of the CD catalogue can't work out live anymore.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

And I don't disagree with that.

As long as it sounds good live I have no much problem. I do love Better, obviously, love the album version, the leaks, and it's a great staple live but not every song worked out that well, mostly because of the way the album was produced or the lineups, or the sound Axl tried to achieve at the time. Scraped, Riad never worked live because Buckethead wasn't there. The band had to perform the Chinese songs over and over, the proper GnR way, until it sounded right live, with different lineups. While I love the energy of the early performances in 2006 or in 2009, I dothink the performances were quite messy. The intro of Better during Rock Am Ring was awkward. I think having Duff & Slash now in the band help greatly to the unity of the sound live and on record. We have great sounding bass and great sounding guitars, hard rock, and I understand that half of the CD catalogue can't work out live anymore.

Agree mostly to that but I think CDs 90s influence work on the record and just as AFD was the 70s in the 80s, UYI was 80s in the 90s, CD was 90s in the 00s but it was still like a snowball with every roll there was a new layer so you still have elements of 70s  and AFD in CD. Like with Scraped and Riad but by CD the production is almost diametrically opposite to AFD/70s. So I get why it doesn't gel with everyone. 

So now we reverse snowball it. Maybe go back to more between CD and UYI production? 

Edited by wasted

Just now, wasted said:

Agree mostly to that but I think CDs 90s influence work on the record and just as AFD was the 70s in the 80s, UYI was 80s in the 90s, CD was 90s in the 00s but it was still like a snowball with every roll there was a new layer so you still have elements of 70s  and AFD in CD. Like with Scraped and Riad but by CD the production is almost diametrically opposite to AFD/70s. So I get why it doesn't gel with everyone. 

So now we reverse snowball it. Maybe go back to more between AFD and UYI production?

I think those years are long gone. Of course, Coma or Estranged in a full-capacity stadium make us remember of the big UYI production era, but honestly I can also see it as the marriage of Guns N' Roses's Chinese Democracy and Velvet Revolver production. The band found his guns side again, but it evolved. It's a whole new Guns N' Roses lineup with nostalgia intentions.

59 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

I think those years are long gone. Of course, Coma or Estranged in a full-capacity stadium make us remember of the big UYI production era, but honestly I can also see it as the marriage of Guns N' Roses's Chinese Democracy and Velvet Revolver production. The band found his guns side again, but it evolved. It's a whole new Guns N' Roses lineup with nostalgia intentions.

I think they go back to just before the broke up. Fortus is the Gilby Huge. So they might have some of that going on, with rocked out CD era material, then Slash working with Axl on any orchestra pieces he's doing. 

Imagine if they take the CD II stuff but then go back and ressurect some old Guns stuff plus new stuff  mix it all together on a double cd with Reunion O'Clock stamped on it. It's valid release. 

GNR is it's own multiverse. When history looks back it will want to see the reunion record. Call of Legacy is on. 

19 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I dunno, I honestly have a bit more hope now that Duff and Slash are in the mix.  Especially Duff.

Duff was, if reports are true, sort of the middle man who got the reunion rolling to begin with.  He also even convinced Axl to start a nuGNR show with YCBM, I seriously think that if Duff and Slash have some serious want to put out an album Axl will give their thoughts a serious consideration.

Not that I am saying let's all count on a new album happening soon, however I have a better feeling about it than I did during the 2009-2014 years.  You can call it wishful thinking though, I can't refute that lol

What show did they open you You Could Be Mine?

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I think they go back to just before the broke up. Fortus is the Gilby Huge. So they might have some of that going on, with rocked out CD era material, then Slash working with Axl on any orchestra pieces he's doing. 

Imagine if they take the CD II stuff but then go back and ressurect some old Guns stuff plus new stuff  mix it all together on a double cd with Reunion O'Clock stamped on it. It's valid release. 

GNR is it's own multiverse. When history looks back it will want to see the reunion record. Call of Legacy is on. 

Even though you post more than a spam bot, please never stop posting. This is gold. :lol:

11 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Didn't Ashba re-write the Better intro? I thought someone posted a remix or something he did that used the current live intro.

19 hours ago, EvanG said:

I don't know look at the Stones or whoever still releasing albums. I guess the lack noise coming from them is disconcerting. 

At the end of the day they are alright, they are doing fine so don't worry.