[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl

[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Jeez said:

This is probably going to be a shock for some: Axl will most likely sound better today, in 2017, then he will in 2027. I leave it for you to figure out why. Good luck.

That aging he did between December 2010 and Rio 2011 was incredible! 

• Like 1

He's a bloody enigma of a frontman in '16/'17 I tell ya!

One thing I've noticed is that he definitely looks to be looking leaner for the Euro leg, but being in better physical shape hasn't translated to more powerful vocal performances.  Go figure. 

You just can't work the guy out. 

9 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

He's a bloody enigma of a frontman in '16/'17 I tell ya!

One thing I've noticed is that he definitely looks to be looking leaner for the Euro leg, but being in better physical shape hasn't translated to more powerful vocal performances.  Go figure. 

You just can't work the guy out. 

He has to be laying back on the vocals currently. The clock to Rio is ticking and we all know our worst nightmare is a live stream with his current vocals...I'm sure he's well aware of it and wants to make up for 2011. 

Im hoping this is the case, I just don't see him doing guest appearances like the one with Joel unless he's confident in his voice right now. 

I think he has a switch and can bring it when he needs it. I don't want to get into the ticket price versus performance thing, we know it's not fair but that's life and Axl is odd in the sense that he would rather impress a room full of a 100 people with his vocals than a stadium full of 50,000 fans. There's no telling when he will bring out his best. 

32 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

He has to be laying back on the vocals currently. The clock to Rio is ticking and we all know our worst nightmare is a live stream with his current vocals...I'm sure he's well aware of it and wants to make up for 2011. 

Im hoping this is the case, I just don't see him doing guest appearances like the one with Joel unless he's confident in his voice right now. 

I think he has a switch and can bring it when he needs it. I don't want to get into the ticket price versus performance thing, we know it's not fair but that's life and Axl is odd in the sense that he would rather impress a room full of a 100 people with his vocals than a stadium full of 50,000 fans. There's no telling when he will bring out his best. 

They aren't going to Livestream Rio....don't ask me why I know b/c I don't know, but I'm telling you they won't livestream Rio (or anywhere else).

22 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

They aren't going to Livestream Rio....don't ask me why I know b/c I don't know, but I'm telling you they won't livestream Rio (or anywhere else).

It would be a good move. I'm sure they will say it's Bc they have their Dodger Stadium release coming up but if Axl really has nothing for some of these GNR songs then they need to avoid making this lineup into a joke. They are playing too well to have it all ruined by one bad show 

Im fairly confident in Axl still despite watching some of the recent shows. He's got it. 

I will say the Coachella pro shot was actually really good. Jungle was tight, and if I remember correctly they did NR and KOHD which both came across quite nicely despite Axl not really rasping much. He sounded great on those or atleast I remember being proud of their performance that night...is it weird to be proud of a bands performance? I feel like I've invested a lot of time into these guys haha

Edited by IncitingChaos

To me, YES. 2010 Axl was incredible live, the Sydney show (for me anyways) was better than the Feb 2017 reunion show, despite having Slash n Duff back (tho its really them joining NuGNR for the neverending world tour). PLUS it was only 2years since CD came out and the promise of new music still seemed llike a real possibility, unlike now...

Yeah I know, loaded gun of a question but im curious if theres others who agree... :)

I think it is better to look at it on a case-by-case basis. Certainly, Axl performed spectacularly throughout 2010, but certain dates were better than others. Similarly, Axl has performed very well over the last year and a half, with different results. I would almost say that Axl sounded as good with AC/DC as he did with GN'R in 2010. That said, i may have to give the edge to 2010 Axl, but that's not to knock the NITL tour. The last year has been one of Axl's best in two decades.

I appreciate the input :) Yeah I cant deny the unbelievable fact that Axl n Slash reunited but I cant deny it just seemed a bit hollow..... Plus the fact all these 'GNR Fans' who jumped aboard the reunion train after they dissed Axls n GNR for the past decade, like wtf.. It seemed like to me anyways that the old fans were not real fan at all until the reunion happened...

• Like 1

I guess it depends on whats most important to you in Guns.  For me, I love the music to be played the way it should be.  Slash and Duff are vital for that.  I never liked all the shredder guitar players like Bucket / Bumble in Guns.  Amazing players but it just didn't sound like Guns to me.  It would be like Slash. Duff, Izzy and Steven playing Guns songs with Steven Tyler on vocals.  I also think its important to have at least a few original members in a band.  1 original member with a bunch of hired musicians is something that I just can't get on board with.

i can tolerate Axl's voice not being as strong as long as the music sounds right.  He is trying his best at least.

Now... if Axl's voice is the most important thing to you, and you don't mind the music sounding a lot different and no other original members, than I can understand preferring 2010 version.

Its really a question of how much you need Axl's vocals to be strong.  Judging by the sold out stadiums, i think most people don't mind pay such close attention to Axl's voice