[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl

[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Axl is the weak link in this reunion and it is hurting the excitement over these shows.

2010 was the yr this thing needed to happen.

Nothing to do with the poll whatsoever.

On 6/10/2017 at 7:04 PM, Pedrolg said:

Anyone notice how Axl touches his chest a lot of times during every concert while singing parts that are a bit more raspy? I think he is making sure his voice is coming from the right place. 

Yes this is 100% true, good observation 

On 6/7/2017 at 2:46 PM, Loot Man said:

I don´t think that singing style is a choice. No way. Something happened to him between those months. But what? I know he can sing most AC/DC songs great, but songs are very different than GNR`s and after all you can still hear struggle/falsetto with some parts. So I think it really means that he can´t sing anymore like he did in 2010. That´s sad, but it´s a fact. If they are ever gonna change their setlist, they should choose/change songs, which Axl can still sing good. I mean, he can still do It´s so Easy, WTJ, Nightrain, OTGM, Double talking, Brownstone and that kind of stuff very well, so they should think more what his voice can take and what it can´t.

I don't know how you can really say his vocals aren't a choice when he opens the show like he did in Imola just a day or so ago with full on Axl Rose rasp for the opener "Do you know where you are"  for Welcome to the Jungle. And then he switched right back to the Mickey Mouse voice. Like I posted earlier in this thread I honestly believe he sings this way because he can't hold up this touring pace singing full throat. This way he at least can sing every show without having to cancel period and width 40 + 50 + 90000 seat stadiums filling up they certainly don't want to cancel a show because Axl pushed his voice too far the show before. My only hope is that if they ever do a video for this tour he lets loose and goes full-bore just the way he opens every show with Welcome to the Jungle

On 6/7/2017 at 5:29 PM, IncitingChaos said:

I agree, he lost his voice. Simple as that. It's not a choice to sing more mickeyish just what he's left with with GNR. I would bet almost anything he had a vocal surgery after the 2010 tour that limited his voice. His talking voice was even different for a period of time 

Same thing I just posted to another member, how can you say he lost his voice when just a day ago he comes out and sounds like vintage Axl Rose when he yells do you know where you are at the beginning of Welcome to the Jungle and then switches right back to the Mickey Mouse sound? It's got to be a thing of longevity. This tour is massive loaded every show is sold out 4050 90000 seat stadiums can't be cancelled because Axl went full throat the show before. When he sings this way it's not nearly as hard on the vocal cords. And it's obvious to me he singing this way as a choice. So he doesn't have to cancel and he can perform at this ridiculous Pace this Guns and Roses tour is going at.

30 minutes ago, ll_tj1 said:

Same thing I just posted to another member, how can you say he lost his voice when just a day ago he comes out and sounds like vintage Axl Rose when he yells do you know where you are at the beginning of Welcome to the Jungle and then switches right back to the Mickey Mouse sound? It's got to be a thing of longevity. This tour is massive loaded every show is sold out 4050 90000 seat stadiums can't be cancelled because Axl went full throat the show before. When he sings this way it's not nearly as hard on the vocal cords. And it's obvious to me he singing this way as a choice. So he doesn't have to cancel and he can perform at this ridiculous Pace this Guns and Roses tour is going at.

I get that argument. It makes sense especially with AC/DC. But 2010 was really natural for him in all aspects...where as now or since 2011 it hasn't seemed that way. Not saying age hasn't played a factor but it felt like overnight he lost his 2010 voice. Who knows, obviously I could be way off but a singer performing as often and at a high level like Axl can be prone to vocal injuries that require surgery and sometimes those surgeries can take away ones ability to sing fully. 

Not saying I'm right or you're right but I wouldn't mind the Mickey vocals at a show if I knew when he walked on stage for a televised or recorded event that he could turn it on to that next level. I have yet to see that and often it's the opposite where he sounds worse 

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

I get that argument. It makes sense especially with AC/DC. But 2010 was really natural for him in all aspects...where as now or since 2011 it hasn't seemed that way. Not saying age hasn't played a factor but it felt like overnight he lost his 2010 voice. Who knows, obviously I could be way off but a singer performing as often and at a high level like Axl can be prone to vocal injuries that require surgery and sometimes those surgeries can take away ones ability to sing fully. 

Not saying I'm right or you're right but I wouldn't mind the Mickey vocals at a show if I knew when he walked on stage for a televised or recorded event that he could turn it on to that next level. I have yet to see that and often it's the opposite where he sounds worse 

Spot on. He never ever sang like that again. There are odd occasions, very few of them, where he turned his vocals up a notch. Philly 2012 is absolutely awesome, but not 2010. Axl/DC is awesome, but he looks and seems to be putting on a massive effort while doing that, to the point where his voice cracks here and there after a few shows. It doesn't sound sustainable, and it also sounds different from 2010.

A friend of mine who is a doctor and a massive GNR fans thinks Axl's voice change is consistent with vocal surgery to "clean up" the vocal chords, removing polyps and nodules. He says that this could even have allowed Axl to retain power and range, but it would plausibly make it much harder to achieve hoarseness/drive/rasp. I that case, it would be logical that Axl would still be able to achieve rasp, but that would involve pushing and forcing his voice an extra mile, to the point where it gets unconfortable.

If his theory were to be right, he thinks it would even be possible that Axl's rasp gradually returns as the years pass, as long as he actually stays active and naturally damages his voice (it happens to every single singer, in different extents, regardless of proper technique) . Of course, it is, admitedly, just a theory.    

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Spot on. He never ever sang like that again. There are odd occasions, very few of them, where he turned his vocals up a notch. Philly 2012 is absolutely awesome, but not 2010. Axl/DC is awesome, but he looks and seems to be putting on a massive effort while doing that, to the point where his voice cracks here and there after a few shows. It doesn't sound sustainable, and it also sounds different from 2010.

A friend of mine who is a doctor and a massive GNR fans thinks Axl's voice change is consistent with vocal surgery to "clean up" the vocal chords, removing polyps and nodules. He says that this could even have allowed Axl to retain power and range, but it would plausibly make it much harder to achieve hoarseness/drive/rasp. I that case, it would be logical that Axl would still be able to achieve rasp, but that would involve pushing and forcing his voice an extra mile, to the point where it gets unconfortable.

If his theory were to be right, he thinks it would even be possible that Axl's rasp gradually returns as the years pass, as long as he actually stays active and naturally damages his voice (it happens to every single singer, in different extents, regardless of proper technique) . Of course, it is, admitedly, just a theory.    

I find it weird that Axl has those odd moments where he brings it. Like 2013 he's getting ready for the governors ball and all of a Sudden he went from sounding terrible in Australia to putting the rasp back on songs on the small NA leg. Eventually we get that great performance of Youre Crazy at the Bowling Alley in Brooklyn 

Then in 2014 he's sounding awful! Look at Golden Gods but then he arrives in Vegas and on songs he hasn't played in a while Prostitute and Yesterdays he has rasp and sounds great!

so for some reason when Axl has a song he hasn't played in a while his instinct is to rasp it...when it becomes a staple he finds a way to Mickey it...makes no sense! Unless the rasp creates problems for him vocally or hurts him. I just don't understand it 

4 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I find it weird that Axl has those odd moments where he brings it. Like 2013 he's getting ready for the governors ball and all of a Sudden he went from sounding terrible in Australia to putting the rasp back on songs on the small NA leg. Eventually we get that great performance of Youre Crazy at the Bowling Alley in Brooklyn 

Jesus, WTF????? And 2013 was pretty much the worse year in Axl's career. This is vintage Axl shit.

The truth is Axl can absolutely do better than he does now. It probably involves risks he is not willing to take at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Jesus, WTF????? And 2013 was pretty much the worse year in Axl's career. This is vintage Axl shit.

The truth is Axl can absolutely do better than he does now. It probably involves risks he is not willing to take at this point.

I saw him 2 weeks before this, he was rasping PC and the second half of Estranged but got sick in Brooklyn and didn't sound as good at the governors ball...crazy. As far as Vegas goes I'm sure he knew that was his last show for a while and just decided to see what he had...I don't understand the guy. I wish he was more open about his voice. If he came out and said "I had to have surgery, or it hurts to sing like that I would be like "that's fine... I appreciate you trying" but his silence makes the situation all the stranger 

Yes,he sings like 2010 from time to time.....like that yesterdays and crazy video......but as the other user say....I think he knows he is going to have troubles in his throat and he has decided to sing like he is singing now.

The thing is.... i was at 2006,2010  and i thought the money paid was worthy,i was at Calderon ( madrid) gig.....and yes it was worthy to pay the mighty reunion becuase of a sentimental thing for me......but after estranged he only sung well Nightrain and Patience......Many....many people around me where there and they were saying....So sad,what happened to him.Many of them havent known from GNR sinces 90s,Many of them havent listened Chinese Democracy.I remember a moment when singing KOHD he is suppose to sing loud the last round of sing along with the crowd.....you know what im talking about.And back in 90s or 2010.....he was full rasp.....But there, i remember the faces of the people like WTF?????? 

1 hour ago, rudolf1978 said:

Not at all...

His performances of the Brian Johnson material is on par with his greatest performances of the past. Even if you disagree it's still a close call. No way they should be that easily dismissed.

12 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Incredible performance, I'd never seen that before. Fantastic version.

1 hour ago, AlexC said:

There are many reasons why they should play You're Crazy (or anything else for that matter) over The Seeker.

Well, I think Seeker is a great song, but it´s not an "official" GNR cover, so they should dump it. And Black Hole Sun. They could change those songs to You're crazy and Nice Boys or Move to the City and Mama Kin. I think that, if Axl only tries, he could do them decently or fucking good. Of course, I´d like to hear songs like Ain´t it fun or Locomotive too, but to be honest, I don't think Axl´s voice would sound very good with them.  

Just now, Loot Man said:

Well, I think Seeker is a great song, but it´s not an "official" GNR cover, so they should dump it. And Black Hole Sun. They could change those songs to You're crazy and Nice Boys or Move to the City and Mama Kin. I think that, if Axl only tries, he could do them decently or fucking good. Of course, I´d like to hear songs like Ain´t it fun or Locomotive too, but to be honest, I don't think Axl´s voice would sound very good with them.  

They would if he rehearsed properly. Look how good he sounded after 20 rehearsals with AC/DC.

Just now, Loot Man said:

Does he ever join rehearsals with GNR? And if not, what´s the problem?

He does here and there from what I've heard/seen lately but if there's one thing that he lacks with GN'R it's consistency. Most likely because he's the boss. In AC/DC land Angus is the boss, and as a result you get a well behaved, 100% performing Axl.

If he even put in half the effort that he does into GN'R as he does with AC/DC there'd be practically zero lackluster performances.

5 minutes ago, AlexC said:

He does here and there from what I've heard/seen lately but if there's one thing that he lacks with GN'R it's consistency. Most likely because he's the boss. In AC/DC land Angus is the boss, and as a result you get a well behaved, 100% performing Axl.

If he even put in half the effort that he does into GN'R as he does with AC/DC there'd be practically zero lackluster performances.

Ok, that´s what I thought :max: But he is what he is.