[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl

[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I see it, the question to be asked is this:

What would change if Axl went out there with GNR, pushed himself the extra mile to deliver an extremely raspy performance of most songs? The answer, sadly, is "nothing". Shows are packed as they are, people who go to them have a blast, and reviews range from good to stellar. I'm always shocked at how the specialized press seems to notice how much Axl's voice changed, saying that "his trademark belting falsetto was on point" at the reunion shows. Anyway, even if the risk is very small, there doesn't seem to be any reason for Axl to risk any issue with his voice just to appease hardcore fans who don't enjoy his current voice.

Now on the other hand, what would have happened it Axl went out there and mickeyed his way through the AC/DC catalogue? I think he would be absolutely eaten alive. His was already being smashed before even singing a single note. He had to prove himself not only to Angus and co, but to a rabid fanbase who was very unhappy with the mere fact he was there. Suddenly, he became Axl and every single person out there was absolutely blown away.

Don't know if it can reach 2010 levels, probably not, but Axl has a lot more than that in the tank. I wish he would someday explain what happened to his voice, but if he does it will probably be in a book and maybe after he retires. I think the only hope we have of ever hearing him go all in on GNR songs is a) if he releases a new album he gets genuinely excited about or b) on the last legs of a retirement tour. Until then, measured and careful Axl is probably all we will get. Thankfully that still has its epic moments.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

As I see it, the question to be asked is this:

What would change if Axl went out there with GNR, pushed himself the extra mile to deliver an extremely raspy performance of most songs? The answer, sadly, is "nothing". Shows are packed as they are, people who go to them have a blast, and reviews range from good to stellar. I'm always shocked at how the specialized press seems to notice how much Axl's voice changed, saying that "his trademark belting falsetto was on point" at the reunion shows. Anyway, even if the risk is very small, there doesn't seem to be any reason for Axl to risk any issue with his voice just to appease hardcore fans who don't enjoy his current voice.

Now on the other hand, what would have happened it Axl went out there and mickeyed his way through the AC/DC catalogue? I think he would be absolutely eaten alive. His was already being smashed before even singing a single note. He had to prove himself not only to Angus and co, but to a rabid fanbase who was very unhappy with the mere fact he was there. Suddenly, he became Axl and every single person out there was absolutely blown away.

Don't know if it can reach 2010 levels, probably not, but Axl has a lot more than that in the tank. I wish he would someday explain what happened to his voice, but if he does it will probably be in a book and maybe after he retires. I think the only hope we have of ever hearing him go all in on GNR songs is a) if he releases a new album he gets genuinely excited about or b) on the last legs of a retirement tour. Until then, measured and careful Axl is probably all we will get. Thankfully that still has its epic moments.

Excellent assessment. I've tried to argue this point until I'm blue in the face. It's not that he can't, it's that he's unwilling. Every time he underperforms on certain songs or whatever you constantly see the "he's lost his voice" comments rolling in and it's just simply not the case at all. We've seen what he's capable of with AC/DC. The fact that Axl sings Estranged and YCBM clean is simply a matter of choice.

I do think however when he sounds bad on Jungle, Nightrain etc. it's due to a lack of preparation. Because he improves on those throughout tour legs to the point were they truly become vintage level after about 10 or 15 shows.

Axl has loads left in the tank, he just doesn't use it unless he feels he has something to prove. It's only a job at the end of the day. If people are happy with him delivering at 50% then why overexert at every show? Makes sense. Even if it is a bit annoying for hardcore fans. (Including me.)

Edited by AlexC

7 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Excellent assessment. I've tried to argue this point until I'm blue in the face. It's not that he can't, it's that he's unwilling. Every time he underperforms on certain songs or whatever you constantly see the "he's lost his voice" comments rolling in and it's just simply not the case at all. We've seen what he's capable of with AC/DC. The fact that Axl sings Estranged and YCBM clean is simply a matter of choice.

I do think however when he sounds bad on Jungle, Nightrain etc. it's due to a lack of preparation. Because he improves on those throughout tour legs to the point were they truly become vintage level after about 10 or 15 shows.

Axl has loads left in the tank, he just doesn't use it unless he feels he has something to prove. It's only a job at the end of the day. If people are happy with him delivering at 50% then why overexert at every show? Makes sense. Even if it is a bit annoying for hardcore fans.

I do think his lost his voice to an extent, yes. I think that something pretty serious happened between 2010 and 2011, but he recovered from it, at least partially. I do think however that he is able to perform better than he currently does. This approach, imo, is measured and calculated, and more motivated by prevention and self preservation than it is by physical inability to do better.

25 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I do think his lost his voice to an extent, yes. I think that something pretty serious happened between 2010 and 2011, but he recovered from it, at least partially. I do think however that he is able to perform better than he currently does. This approach, imo, is measured and calculated, and more motivated by prevention and self preservation than it is by physical inability to do better.

I agree. Although I think whatever technique he uses these days to sound as good as he does with AC/DC can't be dangerous. If it was he wouldn't have been able to use it pretty much none stop for 2 hours without a break for 10 plus shows at a time. He didn't even leave the stage between songs and there were no ballads for him to have a rest, just all out, full on rasp. I think it's more not feeling the need to bother with the amount of effort because unlike AC/DC, he's not playing for a rabid crowd who hate him. He's playing for thousands of casual fans who are glad that Slash is back and will be pleasantly surprised at how good Axl sounds even if he underperforms because they expect him to sound worse than he currently does even on a bad day anyway.

Edited by AlexC
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 6:07 PM, SWINGTRADER said:

Axl is the weak link in this reunion and it is hurting the excitement over these shows.

2010 was the yr this thing needed to happen.

Weak link? well maybe you are the weak link in here! But if you can do it better than Axl, find a stage and prove it, if not please don' trash other people. It is like the say, those who can't, bitch about others. Peace out

Look, Axl's voice is certainly not in prime shape and that's just normal with age

Still, he sings well enough.

It's the case of having a Lambo vs having an every-day-car
If my Lambo is aging, enthusiasts are going to know it's got it's issues and that's its a bit older. To most people though, it's still a fucking lambo. An aging every-day-car though, enthusiasts and common folk alike are going to know it's a piece of shit. Axl's the lambo. 

15 minutes ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

Look, Axl's voice is certainly not in prime shape and that's just normal with age

Still, he sings well enough.

It's the case of having a Lambo vs having an every-day-car
If my Lambo is aging, enthusiasts are going to know it's got it's issues and that's its a bit older. To most people though, it's still a fucking lambo. An aging every-day-car though, enthusiasts and common folk alike are going to know it's a piece of shit. Axl's the lambo. 

Axl voice age like fine wine, he sounds so good these days at times <3 He is a beast, just listen to Coma and Hells Bells

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I seriously believe some people are blind here... Who the hell is comparing Axl's voice to the one he had back in the day?

We're talking about LAST YEAR and 2010... not 1991.

1991 yeah i guess you were not born yet, calm down and take some dope. damn you are a angry bird.