Lions tour of New Zealand

spunko12345

Anyone interested? 

The dirt trackers are playing the Provincial Barbarians now. If they don't win this one comfortably you have to think they're gonna get fucked from one end of the country to the other when they play the better sides. 0-0 at the moment.

I've never bothered watching the lions to be honest. I could never muster much support for the team. It is all a bit odd, the British islands' nations pelting abuse at the English during the Six Nations etc then suddenly everyone coming together for an Anglo-Irish jolly.

I love big cats! They are all so beautiful.

My mom went to LA years ago and they had this place called Lion Country Safari where the bus drove through all this land where the animals roamed free.

A huge Tiger put his face right up to the bus door and then this cute baby tiger did the same thing. They were so beautiful, but my mom was glad the door was closed.

I don't usually watch the animal shows because I hate it when they have to kill to eat or fight each other. I know it's nature, but I can't stand looking at it.

• Like 2

That reminds me of an Ashes tour - the ''Lillee-Thommo Ashes'' of 1974 -5 - where the Aussies basically employed the reverse tactic. Gregg Chappell instructed Jeff Thomson, then unknown to us poms, to basically bowl medium pace long hops to the English during a tour match for Queensland. Then when the tests started, carnage!!

They're going to get dealt to by the ABs. Best hope for them is test 1, but after that I'm with the majority in a 3-0 whitewash. Two respectable losses and at least one 13+ smashing.

The Lions pack should be able to hold up, but they're backs are unimaginative and struggling for any sort of cohesion that I can't see them getting across the line much at all. The rush defense is doing well, but with the offloads that ABs can do and they're absolute brilliance in broken play suggests to me that there will be plenty of holes to be taken advantage of.

In saying that, heres hoping Lions steal a famous win, or at least push it to the final test. Looks to me like their plan is to try starve ball from the ABs, but fact of matter is their is zero venom in their attack at the moment and chances they do create (plenty have been in the last 3 games) they're not taken and aren't clinical at all. ABs are completely different in this regard and can score plenty even when behind on possession and territory stats. Lions defense style will probably play into Barretts hands as well, as he has an accurate boot during open play, burning pace, and reads game well.

31 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is a big deal, this Lions thing, isn't it? It had taken over this mornings sport in the newspaper. I didn't realise it was that big.

If you get a chance, have a look at this documentary Living With The Lions. It's about the 1997 tour to South Africa. It's interesting because it is just at the time in the mid 90's when rugby went from amateur to professional so you have a group of tourists who are elite players but with a "rugby players on tour" mentality. The Lions won that series too.

I had a vhs tape for Christmad as a kid of 100 years of the British Lions (this was about 1989) and that was very good but can't find it online. Anyway here's the 1997 doc

6 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

If you get a chance, have a look at this documentary Living With The Lions. It's about the 1997 tour to South Africa. It's interesting because it is just at the time in the mid 90's when rugby went from amateur to professional so you have a group of tourists who are elite players but with a "rugby players on tour" mentality. The Lions won that series too.

I had a vhs tape for Christmad as a kid of 100 years of the British Lions (this was about 1989) and that was very good but can't find it online. Anyway here's the 1997 doc

That documentary is nearly three hours!!

• 2 weeks later...