Dizzy Darren Reed's Demotion?

8 minutes ago, Original said:

"Contributions". Cough cough. LOL. Yeah those songs wouldn't be the same without him and his all important "contributions".   JFC

He had more input on the CD songs. But I really like his takes on songs Dust N' Bones, Don't Damn Me, Civil War, 14 Years, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, etc.

5 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I get why people give his ass a hard time. But with as many songs involving piano and whatnot, you need him on the road. Nothing wrong with having a piano player.

It's always the keys vs. strings question in a rock band. Most of the GN'R songs are guitar centered but I also like the songs that are more complex.

Edited by Sosso

Everyone complains that they can't hear Melissa (which it's more of an illusion she's inaudible as she's laying synth and guitar chords to match the song), but I can't hear Dizzy's piano (which is actually meant to be audible) on songs like Nightrain and Better for the life of me.

Just now, AxlRoseCDII said:

Everyone complains that they can't hear Melissa (which it's more of an illusion she's inaudible as she's laying synth and guitar chords to match the song), but I can't hear Dizzy's piano (which is actually meant to be audible) on songs like Nightrain and Better for the life of me.

I can hear Dizzy's piano on Nightrain at the Boston 2002 soundboard for example.

I wonder if Melissa plays some synth bass too. I'm a huge fan of Moog Synthesizers.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sosso said:

He had more input on the CD songs. But I really like his takes on songs Dust N' Bones, Don't Damn Me, Civil War, 14 Years, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, etc.

It's always the keys vs. strings question in a rock band. Most of the GN'R songs are guitar centered but I also like the songs that are more complex.

lol 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Geez. I don't care about fuckin' Dizzy Reed. Not one bit.  He's not an organic, mutually agreed on member. He's only there because Axl wanted him there and he rode his coattail ever since.

Who cares about your opinion?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Who cares about your opinion?

Uuh, the person who started this thread and asked for our opinions about fuckin' Dizzy Reed?! And apparently you care enough to have your fanboying for insignificant members little heart hurt enough to let me know how you don't care that I don't give a shit about Reed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

I can hear Dizzy's piano on Nightrain at the Boston 2002 soundboard for example.

I wonder if Melissa plays some synth bass too. I'm a huge fan of Moog Synthesizers.

God you can hear how awful Axl's voice was here. Oh yeah and Dizzy piano too.

He's alright with me, I'd prefer just one piano honestly.

On 6/4/2017 at 8:58 PM, Sosso said:

My goodness that band was awesome. Brain on point. Effortlessly pounding the snare with the necessary swing and groove. HUGE snare sound. His Forte.

POWERFUL lineup 

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 3

Don't really care... Axl wrote all piano parts and he all recorded it.. Not that Dizzy is so needed in studio. Only live for a certain parts.

I liked Dizzy during UYI tour... but lost respect after he blindly followed Axl in the following years...

Slash and Duff probably haven't spoken more than 5 words with him during entire NITL tour..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Slash and Duff probably haven't spoken more than 5 words with him during entire NITL tour..

Well, I don't know about that, but I think he is mentioned twice in Duff's autobiography, so I don't think they were close to being besties.

I think the problem is really that he's a keyboard player who doesn't even play much on the record and even live he doesn't play on every song, so it's normal people forget about him.

Edited by EvanG

I remember that online Q & A he did a few years ago from his place.  Was on Youtube but could only find a clip from it now.  In it he's asked if he ever sees Robin, since robin had been out of band for a number of years by that point.  His answer was 'No, I haven't, I dont really see anybody when we're not on the road.'  

Seems like he keeps his head down and hopes his union scale pay checks don't stop arriving.  

I think the early nuGuns era was a promotion for him.  And as much nuGuns stuff that is still present in NITL, Dizzy seems to have been repositioned back to the UYI position.  Maybe thats a demotion. 

8 hours ago, bigpoop said:

Ois I bet he is somebody's. Fandomopinions in mysterious ways. 

He's my favorite! I have a soft spot for underdog/completely forgotten about dude.

14 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Dizzy Reed's greatest contribution to the band was giving Axl a little credibility during the Nu years: "original member Axl Rose along with UYI alumni Dizzy Reed..."

How a person that everyone forgets exists can give credibility to something is beyond me. Two seconds after his name's mentioned anyone who Isn't a diehard forgets him. Diehards already have their opinon on the "nu era" and Dizzy Reed will not make a single bit of difference to either side.

12 hours ago, wondering where's izzy? said:

God you can hear how awful Axl's voice was here. Oh yeah and Dizzy piano too.

He's alright with me, I'd prefer just one piano honestly.

I was there.. His voice was the only highlight of the show... He was running around constantly like he did in the old days which is why he sounds a bit winded... The show sucked but Axl was good.  The band sounds like a bad cover band... We left early.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2017 at 0:04 AM, Rayno said:

Did he? Interesting, never heard about it. On the contrary I remember some interview where he was very vocal about being against all these Axl's line up additions. Cannot remember where exactly I read it though... Just curious.

On 05/06/2017 at 0:19 AM, Fourteenbeers said:

It could be this... Izzy is being diplomatic. He also says that Matt was great (even though later it became obvious that he wasn't happy with Adler- Sorum swap.) 

…Another thing Axl had been working on. One day Dizzy came down to our rehearsal. He must have had a terrible time, 'cos everyone ignored him for two weeks. I tried to be friendly. I'd say: 'Hey man, how's it going? I don't know what we're doing either! We've just been in this studio for the last two years and we're supposed to be making a record or something. By the way, do you have a keyboard?' - 'cos the guy didn't even own a fuckin' instrument. After a few weeks I said to him: 'Hey man, seeing as we're Guns N' Roses, maybe someone can lend you a keyboard or we can get you an endorsement or something'. In fact, the guy's turned out to be a really cool addition."

https://izzystradlin.wixsite.com/unofficial/copy-of-guns-roses-bad-boys-give-i-9

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

He's not an organic, mutually agreed on member. He's only there because Axl wanted him there and he rode his coattail ever since.

short and to the point, thats all there is to it about dizzy (and all the aliens)

Edited by ludurigan

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

…Another thing Axl had been working on. One day Dizzy came down to our rehearsal. He must have had a terrible time, 'cos everyone ignored him for two weeks. I tried to be friendly. I'd say: 'Hey man, how's it going? I don't know what we're doing either! We've just been in this studio for the last two years and we're supposed to be making a record or something. By the way, do you have a keyboard?' - 'cos the guy didn't even own a fuckin' instrument. After a few weeks I said to him: 'Hey man, seeing as we're Guns N' Roses, maybe someone can lend you a keyboard or we can get you an endorsement or something'. In fact, the guy's turned out to be a really cool addition."

https://izzystradlin.wixsite.com/unofficial/copy-of-guns-roses-bad-boys-give-i-9

holy fucking grail

i just hope these TWO YEARS of studio sessions can surface some day

:headbang:

I don't mind Dizzy, I kind of think after all these years his earnt his place, if a A FD5 show ever materialises I wouldn't be offended if Dizzy was on stage with them.