Dizzy Darren Reed's Demotion?

20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

…Another thing Axl had been working on. One day Dizzy came down to our rehearsal. He must have had a terrible time, 'cos everyone ignored him for two weeks. I tried to be friendly. I'd say: 'Hey man, how's it going? I don't know what we're doing either! We've just been in this studio for the last two years and we're supposed to be making a record or something. By the way, do you have a keyboard?' - 'cos the guy didn't even own a fuckin' instrument. After a few weeks I said to him: 'Hey man, seeing as we're Guns N' Roses, maybe someone can lend you a keyboard or we can get you an endorsement or something'. In fact, the guy's turned out to be a really cool addition."

https://izzystradlin.wixsite.com/unofficial/copy-of-guns-roses-bad-boys-give-i-9

I've forgotten that interview. Looks like Izzy meant what he said, and was not just being diplomatic and truly liked Dizzy's  contribution to the band. Good guy. 

Good job BTW.. let's give @Kris_1989's  amazing website some publicity here.. :)

30 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

holy fucking grail

i just hope these TWO YEARS of studio sessions can surface some day

:headbang:

You can bet, that if it happens , it's gonna be 

60470572.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Good job BTW.. let's give @Kris_1989's  amazing website some publicity here.. :)

When I got this notification I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I was being dragged into a Dizzy thread. :awesomeface: But thanks! And @Blackstar helped with the articles section so she deserves more credit than me. :)

• Like 2

I have no issue with Dizzy being there! He looks the part and although his contribution is small and to some unnoticeable, I think he has some important moments definitely in a live setting. 

He looks the part a lot more than some of the other aliens up there ;)

some can bag him out for "riding Axl's coat tails" but who wouldn't want to be a part of the band, good luck to him I say! 

35 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

When I got this notification I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I was being dragged into a Dizzy thread. :awesomeface: But thanks! And @Blackstar helped with the articles section so she deserves more credit than me. :)

Fan forum works in mysterious ways... you never know where you gonna end up.:lol:

thanx to @Blackstar for helping with the site.

Edited by Fourteenbeers

Dave Grohl finally mentioned their keyboard player as being a full-on band member (not sure if he ever appeared in band photos). So there are others who are "disrespected" as well. Dizzy has always been "forgotten" 'cause I guess he doesn't put butts in seats. Prior to Slash and Duff returning, how often did you hear the media narrative that Axl is the last one standing in GNR from the Illusions era?

I like Dizzy's songwriting on CD although in the past I've called him superfluous. My opinion has sort of changed. I also understand why he isn't being promoted on the current NITL tour. It's all about Duff and Slash back in the fold with Axl, the "trinity."

On ‎4‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, Sosso said:

I enjoy his piano/keyboard on songs like Estranged, November Rain, Don't Cry, Nightrain, Paradise City, CITR, This I Love, Prostitute, etc. And the percussion he adds on WTTJ and Mr. Brownstone.

Thank god for the percussion he adds on WTTJ and Mr. Brownstone.

Things would surely fall apart were it not for the percussion added by Dizzy.

There is NO one in the whole wide world who can play the bongo's like Dizzy does.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Thank god for the percussion he adds on WTTJ and Mr. Brownstone.

Things would surely fall apart were it not for the percussion added by Dizzy.

There is NO one in the whole wide world who can play the bongo's like Dizzy does.

I started listening to Guns during the UYI era and he was there, so I always considered him a member.  Maybe I would've had a different outlook if I started when they were a 5-piece.  Also I may be biased toward his inclusion because I grew up playing the piano.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Dave Grohl finally mentioned their keyboard player as being a full-on band member (not sure if he ever appeared in band photos).

That was just because the interviewer asked him about it and he went like ''oh he's been in the band for over ten years now''. 

11 hours ago, EvanG said:

Who cares about how anyone of them look? They're musicians, it shouldn't matter.

In terms of the history of the band yeah he's a fuck load more relevant. The word "look" might not have been the best word to use in terms of where I was coming from, but seeing as though that's how you interpreted it, In terms of the ACTUAL look of the band??? Well I'm pretty sure this forum has debated the image of previous members many times over! It's not exactly a new argument is it? 

If you'd like all the members of GNR to have blue hair and wear kfc buckets on their heads, that's your God given right. ?

cheers

12 hours ago, Tadsy said:

In terms of the history of the band yeah he's a fuck load more relevant. The word "look" might not have been the best word to use in terms of where I was coming from, but seeing as though that's how you interpreted it, In terms of the ACTUAL look of the band??? Well I'm pretty sure this forum has debated the image of previous members many times over! It's not exactly a new argument is it? 

If you'd like all the members of GNR to have blue hair and wear kfc buckets on their heads, that's your God given right. ?

cheers

I don't read those arguments because they are rather silly. I don't know how else to take that phrase anyway.

And yes, I couldn't care less if they all had blue hair and wore KFC buckets on their head. They're not the Spice Girls or the Backstreet Boys where 'looks and appearance' apparently matter. Why would I care how they look like when I am listening to their music with my ears?

Edited by EvanG

Dizzy deserves far more respect IMO. I don't think it's so much that people dislike Dizzy as much as the ancient "Keyboards in GNR" argument. It's the keyboardist on the opposite  end of the stage that usually drives people nuts for towel flinging or being too "lit" or whatever. Dizzy has been around long enough to get some respect.

Then, the RRHOF finally gives him a nod, and he bails... but that could have been a job security move. Idk. As someone who plays keys myself, I never liked how the pianist never gets much credit.

Ya know I don't know. He is pretty much kept in the back on almost every front. The guy could walk down the street beside Slash or Axl and not get recognised. 

He's a good musician and I generally like what he added on UYI and while I'm not entirely sure what he did on CD compared to the other synth players, I enjoyed the piano work on the album. Could he be replaced tomorrow, yeah... doesn't mean I don't like him. My older brother still loves to say "The man with empty beer holders" so people do know and remember him fondly.

My biggest issue is the whole yes man thing he has going on. I appreciate that Axl essentially gave him a career, but I just didn't like that after years on the road with Slash and Co he basically picked Axl side and didn't talk to them, but now they are back in the band and he's now cool with them all over again. Was he cool with them all along and not talking with them because of his allegiances? I don't know, but it seems a tad spineless... regardless of Axl paying for his kids dental work etc. AND I like that he's loyal, but you can be loyal and still have credibility.

I consider him a member though :D But I also consider Richard and Frank as members of the band... and if Melissa ends up staying past the NITL touring then I'll consider her a proper member of the band too... and that's regardless of being under contract or not having the same rank as one of the original members.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, PatrickS77 said:

Geez. I don't care about fuckin' Dizzy Reed. Not one bit.  He's not an organic, mutually agreed on member. He's only there because Axl wanted him there and he rode his coattail ever since.

Feel free to explain why Slash and Duff fought it..

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, RussTCB said:

This is classified so I shouldn't share it, but I will anyway. This is from the GN'R internal archives and shows every person who misses Dizzy Reed's solo:

mitt-romney-just-spoke-to-an-empty-stadi

I feel like this is not one of your better jokes :lol:

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:08 AM, RJ88 said:

Melissa is needed even less

This. Russ posting the pic he did.. I mean, not even a handful of fans care for dumb bimbo reese. She is better served in eays that are more appropriate for what she can contribute..which isn't much since band assistant has been taken

14 hours ago, EvanG said:

I don't read those arguments because they are rather silly. I don't know how else to take that phrase anyway.

And yes, I couldn't care less if they all had blue hair and wore KFC buckets on their head. They're not the Spice Girls or the Backstreet Boys where 'looks and appearance' apparently matter. Why would I care how they look like when I am listening to their music with my ears?

If you think image has nothing to do with this band, or any band for that matter, you are a simpleton. 

The answer lies in this famous question posed to John Rambo:

Vietnamese Guide: What mean expendable? 

John Rambo: It's like when you're invited to a party, and you don't show up and it doesn't really matter.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Billsfan said:

I feel like this is not one of your better jokes :lol:

This. Russ posting the pic he did.. I mean, not even a handful of fans care for dumb bimbo reese. She is better served in eays that are more appropriate for what she can contribute..which isn't much since band assistant has been taken

My bad :lol: