Dizzy Darren Reed's Demotion?

gnr is five guys, and then Matt came in under unfortunate circumstances and became a  member too. I accept dizzy as a gnr associate, not a member.  If gnr releases an album and dizzy's piano is a main part of said record (like on the level of ray manzerek on a doors record) and piano (outside axl) becomes a part of the gnr "sound" moving forward I would consider him a member.  he was around in the early days and lived the scene that became afd so I think that gives him a depth the other axl-employees will never have. Plus I'd love gnr to do a dirty album of roadhouse rock n roll which dizzy could have a field day on.   

But for now, like the other employees, I just don't know what he's brought to the table other than hand-jobs for the boss who hired him.  certainly there hasn't been anything worthwhile musically since he followed axl off the cliff.

11 minutes ago, Sunset Gardner said:

gnr is five guys, and then Matt came in under unfortunate circumstances and became a  member too. I accept dizzy as a gnr associate, not a member.  If gnr releases an album and dizzy's piano is a main part of said record (like on the level of ray manzerek on a doors record) and piano (outside axl) becomes a part of the gnr "sound" moving forward I would consider him a member.  he was around in the early days and lived the scene that became afd so I think that gives him a depth the other axl-employees will never have. Plus I'd love gnr to do a dirty album of roadhouse rock n roll which dizzy could have a field day on.   

But for now, like the other employees, I just don't know what he's brought to the table other than hand-jobs for the boss who hired him.  certainly there hasn't been anything worthwhile musically since he followed axl off the cliff.

I pretty much considered UYI sound and line up ideal for the band. AFD sounded what it had to for the debut record, UYI was the ideal.

10 hours ago, moreblack said:

Dizzy's made a pretty good living out of Axl not wanting to be tied to the piano the entire night at shows. But let's face it, he didn't write Jungle, Patience or Sweet Child

Who cares? Gilby and Matt didn't wrote them either (for example).

Edited by Sosso

6 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

I pretty much considered UYI sound and line up ideal for the band. AFD sounded what it had to for the debut record, UYI was the ideal.

yeah it'd be foolish to ever try and  recreate afd.  that's my biggest fear about a new album, they'll try and recreate something instead of evolving into something new.

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Dizzy co-wrote the masterpiece that is 'Oh My God'.

I don't know if your comment was sarcastic or not but that song IS a masterpiece! 

1 hour ago, Sunset Gardner said:

yeah it'd be foolish to ever try and  recreate afd.  that's my biggest fear about a new album, they'll try and recreate something instead of evolving into something new.

If "evolution" led to masterpieces like Silkworms and Shacklers, then it's time to go back to basics.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

I think the "member" thing is based around creative input. How much of the material is he writing and actively contributing to? From my understanding, Dizzy is basically a glorified touring musician. Even the parts that I had originally attributed to him (the piano on Estranged, 14 years, etc) are apparently Axl compositions. 

If all he's doing is just playing stuff that Axl wrote and composed - he is about as useless to the band as Fortus and Frank. That's why he got the tongue in cheek introduction at the Rock n' Roll HOF. All that being said, he probably has more claim to being a member of Guns n' Roses than Gilby or anyone from the nu-band.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I think the "member" thing is based around creative input. How much of the material is he writing and actively contributing to? From my understanding, Dizzy is basically a glorified touring musician. Even the parts that I had originally attributed to him (the piano on Estranged, 14 years, etc) are apparently Axl compositions. 

If all he's doing is just playing stuff that Axl wrote and composed - he is about as useless to the band as Fortus and Frank. That's why he got the tongue in cheek introduction at the Rock n' Roll HOF. All that being said, he probably has more claim to being a member of Guns n' Roses than Gilby or anyone from the nu-band.

I think that some people had much more problems to accept someone like Chris Pitman (I always liked him btw). Dizzy's piano on the other hand was a very cool addition to the bands classic line-ups.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Well, none of them had the oportunity to prove the band could live wihout Izzy 'cause Axl is retarded.

We don't know how things could be had the band stayed together.

And thats all on Axl.

Edited by default_
typo
  • Like 1

Truth of the matter is Dizzy is hardly on the Use Your Illusion records. Slash played Izzy's parts on Civil War, Locomotive and The Garden and Axl played them on Shotgun Blues and Izzy is STILL a force on UYI and in GN'R in general despite not being there. This is why I conclude as much as he may be a nice guy and a great live player Dizzy isn't really a member. 

The fact there are DJ Ashba tattoos out there in his Guns tenure. Never seen a Dizzy or Gilby or Paul or Richard in all my days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, default_ said:

Well, none of them had the oportunity to prove the band could live wihout Izzy 'cause Axl is retarded.

We don't know how things could be had the band stayed together.

And thats all on Axl.

Totally. They're all talented players (except DJ Ashba). 

I have nothing against Dizzy but given his resume - it's not worthy of Guns N' Roses. He's a great touring musician though and I like his work on Illusions.

That's the thing though - GnR is basically the 5 guys from AFD. The chemistry comes from there. All of these guys individually are talented, but together there is a special alchemy.

I never felt that about any other lineup of the band including the much loved Gilby/Sorum era. That being said, there was some weird off the wall chemistry with the 2002 lineup - unfortunately, they didn't do shit with it. 

11 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Totally. They're all talented players (except DJ Ashba). 

I have nothing against Dizzy but given his resume - it's not worthy of Guns N' Roses. He's a great touring musician though and I like his work on Illusions.

That's the thing though - GnR is basically the 5 guys from AFD. The chemistry comes from there. All of these guys individually are talented, but together there is a special alchemy.

I never felt that about any other lineup of the band including the much loved Gilby/Sorum era. That being said, there was some weird off the wall chemistry with the 2002 lineup - unfortunately, they didn't do shit with it. 

So you are finally calling Paul Tobias talented? 

The 2001/2002 line-ups were the best from post-2000 period. Every other version watered down a bit with each line-up change.

19 minutes ago, Sosso said:

So you are finally calling Paul Tobias talented? 

The 2001/2002 line-ups were the best from post-2000 period. Every other version watered down a bit with each line-up change.

Tobias wasn't on AFD. I'm saying the guys on AFD were individually talented, but together - an explosive mix. Greater than the sum of their parts.

Nu-Guns lacked this kind of raw chemistry. The 02' lineup definitely had a je ne sais quois though - weird and bizarre together, but you couldn't take your eyes off them. Sort of like a car on fire - you're just transfixed by the whole spectacle.

Agreed on Nu Guns getting watered down with every subsequent lineup change. Ditto for classic Guns. 

13 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Tobias wasn't on AFD. I'm saying the guys on AFD were individually talented, but together - an explosive mix. Greater than the sum of their parts.

Nu-Guns lacked this kind of raw chemistry. The 02' lineup definitely had a je ne sais quois though - weird and bizarre together, but you couldn't take your eyes off them. Sort of like a car on fire - you're just transfixed by the whole spectacle.

Agreed on Nu Guns getting watered down with every subsequent lineup change. Ditto for classic Guns. 

You said “They're all talented players (except DJ Ashba)“. 

I think that the line-up changes were a curse for both the classic Guns and the so-called NuGuns. It was a hard time for the band when Buckethead left the band. Bumblefoot is a nice guy and a very talented musician but I don't really like his leads on CD (especially on CITR). He laid down a very good rhythm guitar though.

Edited by Sosso

32 minutes ago, Sosso said:

You said “They're all talented players (except DJ Ashba)“. 

I think that the line-up changes were a curse for both the classic Guns and the so-called NuGuns. It was a hard time for the band when Buckethead left the band. Bumblefoot is a nice guy and a very talented musician but I don't really like his leads on CD (especially on CITR). He laid down a very good rhythm guitar though.

Ahh you got me. Forgot about Tobias in that statement. :facepalm::lol:

Agreed with your last statement. Don't care for Ron Thal, Fortus, or DJ Ashba from the nu-lineup. Overall a massive downgrade from 01/02. A lot of people love Fortus on this forum but here's the thing - what has he actually written that has stood the test of time?  Buckethead, Finck, Freese, Brain, Bumble and Tommy Stinson have legit credibility as musicians and artists. Even Dizzy to some extent has cred.

I know Axl has screwed with the crediting system to make Tobias look like the next Izzy, but even taking that into consideration, Tobias has stronger writing contributions than Fortus. If Fortus is as good as everyone says he is, why isn't he all over Chinese Democracy? Even Ron Thal had his input added in at the last minute before release. Fortus has the least input out of anyone in the entire lineup on that album.

He's a touring/session musician like Dizzy basically. No shame in that but calling either of these guys a member of a legendary band is stretching the limits of credibility. And I feel the same way about Gilby.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1