Dizzy Darren Reed's Demotion?

Hey guys, was wondering today how Dizzy feels about all this NITL thing having stood by all lineups, consistently saying how each was 'the best' or something to that effect then Duff and Slash return he's nowhere in promotional shots etc.

To get excited for the Slane show I watched the Robert John Photographic History documentary and he was talking in 93 about how Robert's been around forever etc as though Dizzy had been also, we do indeed know he knew the band from earlier days but the way he was talking was strange. 

Do you guys see Dizzy as a band member? Do you think he's aware he's just a backing musician? He is often forgotten about when people even mention lineups of the band, they tend to just mention who the guitar players and drummers were at the time. With that said Ian McLagan, Jon Lord, Richard Wright all full respected members of their respective bands and keyboard players (sadly all passed).... So whats the deal with Dizzy? How do you feel about him with regards to membership/importance? 

Edited by Izzymacbeth
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I only ever remember him when Axl says "ladies and gentlemen Mr Dizzy [fuckin'] Reed.

Pretty much this ^

I pretty much consider him a touring musician but an important one. In my opinion good enough to keep it a 6 man band.  No need for anyone else.

• Like 4

Dizzy is only ever important to me on Estranged (which he didn't even write or play on). Almost every song could be played without Dizzy and it'd sound fine, if not better. The only songs he is needed on is Axl's songs, as these are piano centric. He isn't needed on guitar centric songs

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 3

Dizzy is way more than just a “touring member“. Even Izzy thought that he was a great addition for the band.

Just now, Mendez said:

Dizzy is only ever important to me on Estranged (which he didn't even write or play on). Almost every song could be played without Dizzy and it'd sound fine, if not better

That's not true.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Dizzy is way more than just a “touring member“. Even Izzy thought that he was a great addition for the band.

That's not true.

22 songs from the Bilbao setlist could be played without Dizzy as they are all, with the exception of November Rain, guitar centric.

And thats just my opinion, there is no truth.

The only songs he is needed for are Catcher in the Rye, Prostitute, TWAT, Estranged, TIL, and Live and Let Die (The piano centric songs)

Edited by Mendez

5 minutes ago, Mendez said:

22 songs from the Bilbao setlist could be played without Dizzy as they are all, with the exception of November Rain, guitar centric.

And thats just my opinion, there is no truth.

I enjoy his piano/keyboard on songs like Estranged, November Rain, Don't Cry, Nightrain, Paradise City, CITR, This I Love, Prostitute, etc. And the percussion he adds on WTTJ and Mr. Brownstone.

Edited by Sosso

Dizzy has said himself that Axl could fire him tomorrow, so I guess he feels like a hired hand (which he technically is) Then again he's been in the band a lot longer than Frank, Fortus or "Rock Icon" Melissa Reese. So if they are considered to be band members why not Dizzy? 

There are two songs where I really like Dizzy's playing: Dust'n Bones and 14 Years. The dirty honk tonk- piano really feels natural and gives the songs some edge.  With ballads like NR and Don't cry the piano/keyboard playing takes the songs away from edgy rock towards more produced pop -feel. That's why I prefer the raw and rugged demo version of Don't cry and the acoustic version of NR.

When it comes to his contributions in Chinese Democracy - I have listened that album so few times, that I can't even form an opinion about it. 

I'm a big AFD fan (my favorite album, my favorite lineup) nothing in that album's music needs keyboards or piano. No extra bells or whistles - except the cowbell of course. ;) 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Sosso said:

That's not true.

Did he? Interesting, never heard about it. On the contrary I remember some interview where he was very vocal about being against all these Axl's line up additions. Cannot remember where exactly I read it though... Just curious.

11 minutes ago, Rayno said:

Did he? Interesting, never heard about it. On the contrary I remember some interview where he was very vocal about being against all these Axl's line up additions. Cannot remember where exactly I read it though... Just curious.

It could be this... Izzy is being diplomatic. He also says that Matt was great (even though later it became obvious that he wasn't happy with Adler- Sorum swap.) 

Just now, Fourteenbeers said:

It could be this... Izzy is being diplomatic. He also says that Matt was great (even though later it became obvious that he wasn't happy with Adler- Sorum swap.) 

Yeah, exactly. I mean - if it was before he left the band, I would not expect him being totally honest about these things.

47 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

There are two songs where I really like Dizzy's playing: Dust'n Bones and 14 Years. The dirty honk tonk- piano really feels natural and gives the songs some edge.  

Axl plays the piano on the studio recordings of both those songs

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Obviously Dizzy played them live. But Axl did the honky tonk-ness for those two

ok,  if you are referring who played them on the album, yeah  I know it was Axl. ;) I still like the piano playing in live performances too. (obviously you can hear the piano better on the

album versions)    

Dizzy's contributions to UYI:

I

Right Next Door To Hell: --

Dust N' Bones: Piano/Organ

Live And Let Die: Piano

Don't Cry: --

Perfect Crime: --

You Ain't The First: --

Bad Obsession: Piano

Back off Bitch: --

Double Talkin' Jive: --

November Rain: --

The Garden: --

Garden of Eden: Background vocals

Don't Damn Me: Organ

Bad Apples: Piano/Clavinet/Background Vocals

Dead Horse: --

Coma: --

II

Civil War: Piano/Background Vocals

14 Years: Organ

Yesterdays: Organ

Knockin' On Heaven's Door: --

Get In The Ring: Piano

Shotgun Blues: --

Breakdown: --

Pretty Tied Up: Piano

Locomotive: Piano

So Fine: --

Estranged: --

You Could Be Mine: --

My World: --

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

He has decent songwriting skills tho, 4 most UYI-like CD's Song has his name, TWAT, SOD, CITR, and IRS. (But goddamn Paul Yuuuugee also has credit on all that song lol)

He also seems very loyal and grateful towards Axl for lifting him out of hardship. But some people say he was very rude if disturbed by fans.

Dizzy is a member and amazing in what he does. I hope he gets a bigger role if they ever releases a new album, filled with songs like 14 Years, Bad Obesession and things like the Locomotive Outro. 

I think he is confortable with his position, after he joined he was portrayed as a member in promotional pictures, appeared on videos, got his name on the albuns he played, I think he isnt being promoted right now because its the reunion tour. 

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

Dizzy's contributions to UYI:

I

Right Next Door To Hell: --

Dust N' Bones: Piano/Organ

Live And Let Die: Piano

Perfect Crime: --

You Ain't The First: --

Bad Obsession: Piano

Back off Bitch: --

Double Talkin' Jive: --

November Rain: --

The Garden: --

Garden of Eden: Background vocals

Don't Damn Me: Organ

Bad Apples: Piano/Clavinet/Background Vocals

Dead Horse: --

Coma: --

II

Civil War: Piano/Background Vocals

14 Years: Organ

Yesterdays: Organ

Knockin' On Heaven's Door: --

Get In The Ring: Piano

Shotgun Blues: --

Breakdown: --

Pretty Tied Up: Piano

Locomotive: Piano

So Fine: --

Estranged: --

You Could Be Mine: --

My World: --

"Contributions". Cough cough. LOL. Yeah those songs wouldn't be the same without him and his all important "contributions".   JFC

• Like 2