Arena show vs. stadium

With the upcoming run of arenas in the US this fall, it will mark the first time on this tour they've had a specific arena leg of the tour. I know they've previously played Vegas and a couple smaller indoor stadiums, but what changes should we expect to the stage and overall show?  

For those who were in Vegas and also attended stadium shows, how did they compare?

They also would've been on the road for months by then so they should be in the best shape by then. Plus the sound is infinitely better in arenas than stadiums so all of these reasons point to them being the best shows of the tour.

Really wish I could go to the Forum show. That will be absolutely epic.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Smaller screens, less stairs, better sound. I'll make the prediction that the arena leg will be the best we hear Axl sounding on the entire NITL tour. Should be the best shows to see as a fan 

4 minutes ago, AlexC said:

They also would've been on the road for months by then so they should be in the best shape by then. Plus the sound is infinitely better in arenas than stadiums so all of these reasons point to them being the best shows of the tour.

Really wish I could go to the Forum show. That will be absolutely epic.

Exactly what I was hoping/thinking with the sound. Axl has moments where he sounds like vintage Axl, but I keep hearing the best reviews from his arena shows with AC/DC. 

Just now, mrw80 said:

Exactly what I was hoping/thinking with the sound. Axl has moments where he sounds like vintage Axl, but I keep hearing the best reviews from his arena shows with AC/DC. 

Axl could sing in a cupboard with AC/DC and he'd still sound like a God haha.

• Like 1

Looking forward it.. I saw this lineup in an Arena in Vegas but the band had far from gelled yet and my seats were just ok.. Much better seats this time and it feels more like Gn'R than it did in April.. I'd take an arena show over a Stadium any day.  Foxboro Stadium still kicked ass though and I was pretty damn close to the stage. 

• Like 1

I still like stadiums for atmosphere.  Granted, sound usually suffers, but it's fun to be surrounded by 40k or more GNR fans taking it all in.  This had always been on my bucket list so glad I finally got to check that one off.

With that said, I'm excited to see the reformed line in an arena this fall.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Looking forward it.. I saw this lineup in an Arena in Vegas but the band had far from gelled yet and my seats were just ok.. Much better seats this time and it feels more like Gn'R than it did in April.. I'd take an arena show over a Stadium any day.  Foxboro Stadium still kicked ass though and I was pretty damn close to the stage. 

Yes and after Vegas I'm looking forward to seeing a mobile Axl.  Arenas are fun but stadiums are cool too, esp with being surrounded by 50,000 people.  Although IMO if you are in a stadium you need to be in the PIT.  Just my opinion.  

13 minutes ago, Original said:

Yes and after Vegas I'm looking forward to seeing a mobile Axl.  Arenas are fun but stadiums are cool too, esp with being surrounded by 50,000 people.  Although IMO if you are in a stadium you need to be in the PIT.  Just my opinion.  

Yeah I wasn't in the pit but I had 9th row aisle seat Slash's side right next to the middle section at my stadium show. The seats were awesome. Definitely a different show when Axl isn't in that silly chair.. Props to him for carrying on but the shows suffered. Better than the alternative though.

Arena shows are always better period. Better sound, for the most part better atmosphere as everyone is crammed together more. the staging and lighting always looks better in an arena. It's just better

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Do you guys reckon the UK could\would get an arena tour?

I've only seen them in stadiums and Milton Keynes Bowl [still outside but not a stadium:P]

I'm really hoping they come to the hydro in Glasgow if there's to be a European arena tour I enjoyed watching SMKC there. London and Manchester would be certs I'd think 

2 hours ago, Its Tino said:

I was really hoping they would do an arena tour. More personal IMO. It's the only reason I'm going to a second show on the tour. 

Yes I would love a more expanded winter/spring US arena leg.

• Like 1

I prefer arena shows for a variety of arenas. GNR chose the awful, half century old stadium in my town over our nice arena which made absolutely zero sense to me. There's way they're going to sell it out and it'll be a worse experience for everyone overall. The show (Little Rock) seems to be selling very poorly as well.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 10:07 AM, Muddy said:

I'll be going to Madison square garden night 1, it's gonna be epic 

I had a really hard time picking between MSG and Boston Garden. I live smack in the middle of the 2. I went to MetLife night 1 last year but I figured Boston would be a slight less headache than Manhattan. 

24 minutes ago, Eddie Money said:

From what I can remember, the arena stage is the same one that Axl has been traveling with since before NITL tour.    

What stage did they use when they played Yokohama and Kobe? (It looked the same as the stadium stage but it must've been smaller since those shows were played to a crowd of 17,000 and 8,000.) I'd imagine they'll use that.

Edited by AlexC