Support bands, do you watch them?

Zurimor

Support bands  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, J Dog said:

Damn Nickelback :lol: Yep, I'm a big fan of those first two but they lost me on the Devil and Deep Blue Sea one. They got a new producer too who worked with all those popular bands at the time. I think you nailed it, they were just ready to go big, and they probably deserved it. I tried some of their recent album that came out a year or two ago but it was more of the same. But I do still like seeing them do good even if I'm not into them like I used to be.

ack! Nickelback cursed them! :lol:

I always watch them. I like to go in right after the doors open, even if I have seats. I like to see the stage, watch the roadies, watch the crowd file in. Listen to the canned music warming up the PA (usually love this part if they're playing something cool). So of course I watch the opener. The whole fucking thing is part of the live experience to me. I'm not wild about high dollar beers, but fuck it. I budget for the whole deal...

That said, if Adelita's Way is ever opening for somebody again, that will be an exception... :lol:

• Like 1

Yea, even on the occasion where I have seats instead of GA, I almost always catch the opener, or at least part of their set. I'm kind of excited for Royal Blood when I see GNR just 'cause a lot of local people like them, and @ZoSoRose says they're good (I thought the video he told me to watch was good, but not great or anything).

14 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

That said, if Adelita's Way is ever opening for somebody again, that will be an exception... :lol:

I've had to endure this band as an opener for 3 fucking concerts I've been to. I never understood why people would throw bottles at a band until I saw them :lol:

edit: I don't really get the concept of skipping the opener, it's part of what you paid for whether you wanted it or not, might as well see the band(s)...

One of the best openers I've seen was actually at my old bands last show, we had some friends open for us and one of them was a rapper. He wasn't actually all that great but he was totally into the show, which made it awesome.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Thankful someone else agrees! For me the debut and Folklore and Superstition were really standout albums, but I felt that something rubbed off on them after they went on tour with Nickelback. They brought in outside writers. They had been touring solidly for around 10 years, and I think they felt it was time for commercial success. I occasionally pick up a newspaper and see them headlining tours and festivals, and am really pleased to see them doing well… even if their music isn't to my taste any more. 

I think you'll might like Kentucky, Black Stone Cherry's latest album.  To me, it was a step up from Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea and Magic Mountain, but it didn't reach the highs of Folklore and Superstition, but I found Kentucky to be a more enjoyable album to listen to then the two that preceded it.

As for the main topic, well, out of the four times I've been to a concert, three shows had opening acts, one show had support I really was intrigued of and liked (Like a Storm and California Breed when they supported Alter Bridge).  One show had support I was so-so on, but didn't hate (Gary Clark Jr. supporting Foo Fighters) and one show had support I outright dislike (Charm City Devils supporting Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators).

As a main rule, I like arriving at shows relatively early to get good parking and stuff and if there is a support band that I'm intrigued off, I'm all open ears.  If there is a support band I don't like, then I'll try to zone out a bit until they are done and move on from there.

• Like 1

I try to make a point of seeing a support band i haven't heard of cause you just never know. My uncle took me to see Metallica in 93 who were being supported by a band no-one had heard of called Kyuss...Kyuss fucking blew them off the stage. So that why i've always at least checked out most support bands, what's the harm if they're shit it's back to the bar.

Edited by Silverburst80

You have to remember that all these big popular music acts - Beatles, Stones, DC etc - started out as mere support acts. Somebody could have employed the same attitude when a band called Guns N' Roses were supporting Alice Cooper,  turning up late, drank beer in the foyer, and I'd imagine they'd have missed out as Guns were at their peak in those days.

• Like 1

I saw NIN support GNR. I had the tape so it wasn't completely wasted on me. There was about 15 people seemed to know them. But it's a stepping stone. Trent must have got what he needed to do from that spot. The experience must have helped just to be around the tour. Doing it cold would be harder. 

It really depends on the band. I saw ZZ Top and I really didn't care for the opening band (it was a country influenced rock band, not my thing). When I saw Guns, AIC were on their second to last song when I got to my seats but I was cool with it even though I wasn't a fan of AIC. I'll check out Deftones and if I like them enough, I'll watch them in STL/MIN

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

On 6.6.2017 at 1:57 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, normally as a rule unless they are absolutely dreadful. I remember new gnr were supported by a band called Bullet for My Valentine and they were absolutely horrendous; the entire crowd was in the foyer areas at the show I was at. You couldn't stay in the arena they were that bad.

Really? I know them, at least some stuff from their first 3 albums, not one of my favourite bands, but okayish, at least nothing to run away from.

If it's a band I know and like, I will definitely get there early for them.

Metallica has A7X opening, so I'm definitely watching them.

Iron Maiden has Ghost, definitely watching them.

Sometimes if I get to a show and there's an opening act playing I will stay if I can't get out of there. Sometimes you're in for the whole time. If they really suck, I will go outside if I can.

I've sat through some horrible opening bands.

When I saw Steel Panther, a local Dallas band played and they sucked. My brother and I looked at each other because even I could tell when they messed up. How sad that was.

Honestly, I would rather a band have a good opening band or not one at all.