Support bands, do you watch them?

Zurimor

Support bands  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of people don't seem to watch support bands anymore. I don't get this since I got to know some of my favourite bands playing as support, I always listen to them prior to concerts I attend and even try to find out who plays if it's nowhere mentioned (yes, this happens, last time at a Lazuli concert). Also, you paid your money to see them, too. Anyhow, I'm curious now and want to know how you handle it.

Edited by Zurimor
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

One thing I noticed is that a lot of people don't seem to watch support bands anymore. I don't get this since I got to know some of my favourite bands playing as support, I always listen to them prior to concerts I attend and even try to find out who plays if it's nowhere mentioned (yes, this happens, last time at a Lazuli concert). Also, you paid your money to see them, too. Anyhow, I'm curious now and want to know how you handle it.

Not usually, sometimes, yes

51 minutes ago, axlslash said:

I pay to see the headliner, and the opener is free live music as far as I'm concerned. Why wouldn't I? I've found some of my favorite bands by going to see the openers for other shows. 

That's a possible point of view which works often times, too. I said you paid to see them,too, because they get their share of money.

Personally, I actually paid some times to see the support and didn't really care about the headliner. ;)

Edited by Zurimor

Normally I do, but when I went to SF, we ended up getting into the park just a few songs before The Struts ended. I hadn't even heard of them before they were announced as an opener.

When I went Vegas 2014, I got to see some really cool opening band and Andrew Dice Clay, which was fun.

Caught a bit of Steel Panther at the Forum in 2011, but I was not impressed. Haha.

For small venues and local shows, I  always enjoy the up-and-coming acts. 

I usually have to in order to get a giood spot. Some have been beyond shit, some have been wonderful and I became fans of them. Some highlights include: 

Black Crowes (opening for Springsteen) 

Van Morisson (opening for the Stones) 

Johnny Flynn (opening for Mumford And Sons) 

Halestorm (opening for Slash) 

DIFF (opening for De Dijk) 

Alice In Chains (opening for GnR) 

Daniel Lohues (opening for Van Morisson) 

Raphael Saadiq (opening for Lenny Kravitz) 

Vintage Trouble (opening for AC/DC) 

But then again for each of those 10 others were an ordeal to suffer through! :lol: 

Yes, normally as a rule unless they are absolutely dreadful. I remember new gnr were supported by a band called Bullet for My Valentine and they were absolutely horrendous; the entire crowd was in the foyer areas at the show I was at. You couldn't stay in the arena they were that bad.

I'll usually catch them unless it's just someone I know I don't like. I've watched a pretty high percentage of the openers.

Watched The Cult, Sebastian Bach, and Papa Roach when each opened for Guns.

Sonic Youth opening for Pearl Jam was probably my favorite opener.

Snoop opening for the Chili Peppers was cool.

A bunch of forgettables.

Edited by J Dog

1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

The only band I really loved since GN'R were Black Stone Cherry… I discovered them as a support band, and saw them five times, in their early days. 

I like them too. At least their first couple of albums. Some of the later stuff got a little too radio friendly for me. But yea, good band.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I like them too. At least their first couple of albums. Some of the later stuff got a little too radio friendly for me. But yea, good band.

Thankful someone else agrees! For me the debut and Folklore and Superstition were really standout albums, but I felt that something rubbed off on them after they went on tour with Nickelback. They brought in outside writers. They had been touring solidly for around 10 years, and I think they felt it was time for commercial success. I occasionally pick up a newspaper and see them headlining tours and festivals, and am really pleased to see them doing well… even if their music isn't to my taste any more. 

• Like 1

I voted only I only watch them if I already know and like them.  And thats most often true, but sometimes I just wanna get to my seat after travel to a show so then I do.  Also if anyone Im with wants to watch it then Im happy to watch with them.  I even pretended to be excited to see Billy Talent for months leading up to show last year for my friend, but half way through the opening set they caught me bullshitting that I knew the songs when a brand new song was played and I said "me and friends loved that one in his school!" 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soon said:

I voted only I only watch them if I already know and like them.  And thats most often true, but sometimes I just wanna get to my seat after travel to a show so then I do.  Also if anyone Im with wants to watch it then Im happy to watch with them.  I even pretended to be excited to see Billy Talent for months leading up to show last year for my friend, but half way through the opening set they caught me bullshitting that I knew the songs when a brand new song was played and I said "me and friends loved that one in his school!" 

back in the day i'd go to see JUST the opening bands! went to Johnny Winters but just to see the opener. course i stayed and watched Johnny...VERY glad i did!

15 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

back in the day i'd go to see JUST the opening bands! went to Johnny Winters but just to see the opener. course i stayed and watched Johnny...VERY glad i did!

Because the openers where the bands you knew better?

Imagine you left before Jonny Winters?!  Youd be regretting that still! 

45 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Thankful someone else agrees! For me the debut and Folklore and Superstition were really standout albums, but I felt that something rubbed off on them after they went on tour with Nickelback. They brought in outside writers. They had been touring solidly for around 10 years, and I think they felt it was time for commercial success. I occasionally pick up a newspaper and see them headlining tours and festivals, and am really pleased to see them doing well… even if their music isn't to my taste any more. 

Damn Nickelback :lol: Yep, I'm a big fan of those first two but they lost me on the Devil and Deep Blue Sea one. They got a new producer too who worked with all those popular bands at the time. I think you nailed it, they were just ready to go big, and they probably deserved it. I tried some of their recent album that came out a year or two ago but it was more of the same. But I do still like seeing them do good even if I'm not into them like I used to be.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, soon said:

Because the openers where the bands you knew better?

Imagine you left before Jonny Winters?!  Youd be regretting that still! 

ok imagine this. the concert was on a postage stamp size of grass at a hotel. we paid a very small amount to get in....at the door! up above the people who were staying in the hotel were out on their balconies listening for no extra fee just because they were staying there. i went cos i kind of wanted to see what the DJ on my fave station back in the day was going to be there. never did see him. at the last minute before i left to be ON my own my on again/off again bf called and asked me out. i told him well i'm going to this concert, you wanna come with? we were not real bf/gf at this point but he was buying me drinks so i was like cool! so all in all MUCH better than i'd anticipated :D

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

ok imagine this. the concert was on a postage stamp size of grass at a hotel. we paid a very small amount to get in....at the door! up above the people who were staying in the hotel were out on their balconies listening for no extra fee just because they were staying there. i went cos i kind of wanted to see what the DJ on my fave station back in the day was going to be there. never did see him. at the last minute before i left to be ON my own my on again/off again bf called and asked me out. i told him well i'm going to this concert, you wanna come with? we were not real bf/gf at this point but he was buying me drinks so i was like cool! so all in all MUCH better than i'd anticipated :D

One doesnt see shows like that anymore!  Or maybe they do as Ive never heard of that set up ever, haha!  You went to see radio DJ and ended up seeing Jonny Winters?  So lucky!

Picturing a boy walking around Winters trailer saying "its all happening, its all happening" :) 

6 minutes ago, soon said:

One doesnt see shows like that anymore!  Or maybe they do as Ive never heard of that set up ever, haha!  You went to see radio DJ and ended up seeing Jonny Winters?  So lucky!

Picturing a boy walking around Winters trailer saying "its all happening, its all happening" :) 

loooooove the Almost Famous reference :D

• Like 1

I think 99% of support bands are a total waste of time. A total shame I have to waste my time actually watching them. I prefer set seats, so I can show up when I want to.

That 1% have been good though. Most notably AC/DC opening for The Rolling Stones in Germany.