Open Letters to GN’R from Fans

In all honesty, I've given up on ever hearing new GN'R tracks. I just don't think it's ever gonna happen, so I stopped getting mad about it. Too much other great music coming out by other great artists to worry about getting new material from a band that just doesn't seem to want to produce any.

• Like 3

For Guns (Axl really) to suddenly become a fan friendly band (a la Pearl Jam/Metallcia) would be to change the habit of a lifetime. No point in moaning about it now considering we lived through the chaotic 2001 - 2008 era, with its  lengthy sabbaticals and frequent album delays, hissy fits, riots, and lawsuits.

59 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

In all honesty, I've given up on ever hearing new GN'R tracks. I just don't think it's ever gonna happen, so I stopped getting mad about it. Too much other great music coming out by other great artists to worry about getting new material from a band that just doesn't seem to want to produce any.

The biggest problem about GnR is: they don't even release old material. Only 1 official live DVD is ridiculous for a band like GnR. 

And yes, there won't be new tracks obviously. Axl/DC is the only chance for that. 

If they would only do a real reunion with even Matt and Gilby. I would be fine with that. But this scenario right now sucks.  

But I'm not enthusiastic about GnR anymore since the Chinese Democracy release or even before. They had their reunion chance back then...GnR is done after this tour. Mark my words. 

Edited by 2414225

31 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

For Guns (Axl really) to suddenly become a fan friendly band (a la Pearl Jam/Metallcia) would be to change the habit of a lifetime. No point in moaning about it now considering we lived through the chaotic 2001 - 2008 era, with its  lengthy sabbaticals and frequent album delays, hissy fits, riots, and lawsuits.

Imagine Axl would have broke with Beta or Beta would have convinced Axl to work with Doug Goldstein again back then... 

2rwok7l.jpg

2 hours ago, AppetiteForSomething said:

AXL, GIVE THE TRUE GNR FANS A BONE!

Slash is back, that's more than enough but I completely understand where you're coming from. I would like new music more from this lineup. 

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

So sick of these "milking the fans" or "cash grab" arguments.

Dude, you don't have to attend the shows. And if you do, you can pay for a cheap ticket. You don't have to spend $250 or even $150.

My sentiments exactly. Very well said.

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I actually reckon one day it'll happen. But it's not a priority for Axl and it hasn't been for a long time, despite what Richard Fortus wants you to believe. 

Remember back after CD came out and Axl did the chats on MyGNR? I remember one fan asking him about unreleased music back then, and his reply was "don't know, don't care." I don't really see any evidence that indicates his attitude has changed that much since 2009. 

The shittiest thing for true GNR fans who want new music is that GNR have, for a long time, been one of the very few music acts in existence who never need to release another note of music for the rest of their lives. They will still have public interest any time they want to do a show and they will always be able to shift sizeable quantities of their cheap tat on the high street or on their crappy website. 

In some ways, it's a testament to the strength of the GNR catalogue - especially Appetite For Destruction. I can't think of a single other music act whose debut album was pretty much the equivalent to their Greatest Hits. 

Of course, you would hope that they would have some kind of motivation beyond the obvious financial rewards, to continue to be an artist, and to develop as songwriters and musicians. To be passionate and creative again. To remind themselves and the fans what made GNR so fucking awesome in the first place. There's only so many times you can watch Jungle or Nov Rain before the magic starts to fade. New music would breath new life into the band and I can't think of a fan base more deserving of it. Does Axl owe it to us? Of course not. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't do it. I'm sick of reading about how GNR don't cater their setlists to satisfy the online fan community, but to the people actually attending the shows. Does Axl really think 75% of the fans attending these NITL shows care a jot about GNR beyond wanting to get rat-assed while singing SCOM?

Why not, for once, cater to the people who cared about Guns N Roses long before the bandwagon jumpers? How about those of who were around seeing shows years before this reunion, supporting Chinese Democracy and the other members solo work? I don't get why Axl or Team Brazil act like such dicks to the people who stuck by him during 96-14 when half of the people attending the current stadium dates were calling him a has been and are only now bothering coming to a GNR gig to see Slash play the SCOM riff and then go home to tick that one off the bucketlist.  

Edited by Towelie

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Don't worry, mate. I share your frustration about wanting more, especially more music......because I'm an 'entitled' mofo like YOU! lol. Pretty much everyone here is a good egg but are sometimes frustrated by how circular we can get with certain topics. You've only got 24 total posts on your account but in their minds they have the other million times it's already been said by a million other people. Don't take it personally or let them scare you off :lol:

I love you Goaty you adorable little quokka :hug:

I must be the only fan here who agrees with both sides of the argument??

i get what the OP is saying, there is endless possibilities for how things could be so much better for the fans who follow this band week in week out year on year out, and a lot of it wouldn't cost the band a dollar. 

I do also see the other side of the argument, that Axl doesn't owe us anything, if he doesn't want to "work" on releasing new music, that's his right. It's his life! He can sit around and do whatever the fuck he likes in his spare time (which he obviously does) and he doesn't need to explain himself to people like us. 

at the end of the day, we all have choices, Axl has his, we have ours.  We can all walk away whenever we want. 

Dont get me wrong, I'd love a tell all interview or axl to release a book, or some UYI footage/DVDs released, or the holy grail... New music!

I just don't think they "owe" us anything but I do agree, if they were more fan friendly, things could be a hell of a lot better for us. 

• Like 2

I would five them another year or so, honestly. I know history sucks, but if you look closely at it, a lot of shit has happen in the past year - Axl getting back together with Slash and Duff, songs like Coma and DTTJ being played, Axl absolutely fucking the world itself in the ass as lead singer of AC/DC, high profile shows like Coachella and Rock in Rio. Axl is also being goofy and on time, gave 2 interviews in a year. Eventually, releasing shit will be the only possible next step to keep the engine running.

9 hours ago, default_ said:

Its not a excuse, its just what it is, its only a year since the band got back together and they havent got the time to do it yet. I agree with the sentiment but they really havent got the time to do it yet. 

I dont consider Axl solo as Guns N' Roses, what we got now is (?) Guns N' Roses and not Axl N' the Aliens. So dont give up yet, you waited for so long and when you finally got the band back you gonna quit? Shame on you, wait 'till the tour is over. 

Agreed

13 hours ago, default_ said:

Its not a excuse, its just what it is, its only a year since the band got back together and they havent got the time to do it yet. I agree with the sentiment but they really havent got the time to do it yet. 

I dont consider Axl solo as Guns N' Roses, what we got now is (?) Guns N' Roses and not Axl N' the Aliens. So dont give up yet, you waited for so long and when you finally got the band back you gonna quit? Shame on you, wait 'till the tour is over. 

They have had plenty of time. Coachella - Vegas was two months, San Diego - Lima was two months, Dubai - Slane was two months. 

So that's six whole months off  the road. More than enough time to record something if they were so inclined. They're obviously not.

14 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

They have had plenty of time. Coachella - Vegas was two months, San Diego - Lima was two months, Dubai - Slane was two months. 

So that's six whole months off  the road. More than enough time to record something if they were so inclined. They're obviously not.

Well I mean they all have family and friends to see off the road (some of them children), plus life off the road where they don't have to live on a day-to-day fuckfest of traveling and intense itineraries and all the craziness that comes with touring.  Plus separate projects such as Axl/DC and whatnot.  So if they were not inclined at that point, I can totally see why that was the case 

17 hours ago, RussTCB said:

it will likely come out in 20-30 years or so when some (or all of them) are gone and whoever is in charge of their legacy will likely see no reason to not release it all

we should then get 1) a lot of (real) live records from 1987-1993, 2) demos and unreleased songs from 1985-1993 3) possibily even recordings from sessions post-1993 including izzy/duff 1996 sessions, zakk wylde-slash-duff sessions, (not sure if any of those will have axl vocals), slash-izzy-duff 2002 sessions (not axl vocals here), all the sessions from axl solo days 1996-2015 and who knows what else...

11 hours ago, Towelie said:

I actually reckon one day it'll happen. But it's not a priority for Axl and it hasn't been for a long time, despite what Richard Fortus wants you to believe. 

Remember back after CD came out and Axl did the chats on MyGNR? I remember one fan asking him about unreleased music back then, and his reply was "don't know, don't care." I don't really see any evidence that indicates his attitude has changed that much since 2009. 

The shittiest thing for true GNR fans who want new music is that GNR have, for a long time, been one of the very few music acts in existence who never need to release another note of music for the rest of their lives. They will still have public interest any time they want to do a show and they will always be able to shift sizeable quantities of their cheap tat on the high street or on their crappy website. 

In some ways, it's a testament to the strength of the GNR catalogue - especially Appetite For Destruction. I can't think of a single other music act whose debut album was pretty much the equivalent to their Greatest Hits. 

Of course, you would hope that they would have some kind of motivation beyond the obvious financial rewards, to continue to be an artist, and to develop as songwriters and musicians. To be passionate and creative again. To remind themselves and the fans what made GNR so fucking awesome in the first place. There's only so many times you can watch Jungle or Nov Rain before the magic starts to fade. New music would breath new life into the band and I can't think of a fan base more deserving of it. Does Axl owe it to us? Of course not. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't do it. I'm sick of reading about how GNR don't cater their setlists to satisfy the online fan community, but to the people actually attending the shows. Does Axl really think 75% of the fans attending these NITL shows care a jot about GNR beyond wanting to get rat-assed while singing SCOM?

Why not, for once, cater to the people who cared about Guns N Roses long before the bandwagon jumpers? How about those of who were around seeing shows years before this reunion, supporting Chinese Democracy and the other members solo work? I don't get why Axl or Team Brazil act like such dicks to the people who stuck by him during 96-14 when half of the people attending the current stadium dates were calling him a has been and are only now bothering coming to a GNR gig to see Slash play the SCOM riff and then go home to tick that one off the bucketlist.  

There are so many points to touch on here.

1.To remind themselves and the fans what made GNR so fucking awesome in the first place.

The bands talant Is what accomplished there success. If they would have released a product that wasn't worthy, people would not have been Interested.

2. There's only so many times you can watch Jungle or Nov Rain before the magic starts to fade.

Certainly not true for many on this board and around the world. They are filling stadiums with 25-30 year old material.

3. I'm sick of reading about how GNR don't cater their setlists to satisfy the online fan community, but to the people actually attending the shows.

Why are you sick of reading the truth? Didn't Axl himself comment on the setlist?

4. Does Axl really think 75% of the fans attending these NITL shows care a jot about GNR beyond wanting to get rat-assed while singing SCOM?

Why would he care If they care? He Is performing his job and the people attending are getting there moneys worth.

5. New music would breath new life into the band

No way. The majority are attending the shows to hear the songs you mentioned above that you were tired of hearing. Music does not sell, so why Invest time and money Into something you are not going to get a return on? Touring Is where It Is at financially and that Is exactly what they are doing.

6. I don't get why Axl or Team Brazil act like such dicks to the people who stuck by him during 96-14 when half of the people attending the current stadium dates were calling him a has been

Where did you pull these statistics from?

50 minutes ago, ironmt said:

5. New music would breath new life into the band

No way. The majority are attending the shows to hear the songs you mentioned above that you were tired of hearing. Music does not sell, so why Invest time and money Into something you are not going to get a return on? Touring Is where It Is at financially and that Is exactly what they are doing.

Oh fuck off with that horseshit. Are you their live tour manager or an actual music fan? Cuz you speak like all you care about is the bottom line, and as a music fan, I couldn't give two shits how many millions Axl and Co rake in per show.

Sick of fans acting as if they GNR shouldn't put out new product because there's more money to be made touring. Wow, how admirable, to ditch the art and follow the gravy train. All I can say is, thank God the majority of other bands actually give a shit about making new music... but seeing as you only care about making the already multi-millionaires Axl and Slash even wealthier, then you must find following this band very fulfilling. I actually became a Guns fan cuz I liked the music, there's the difference.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Oh fuck off with that horseshit. Are you their live tour manager or an actual music fan? Cuz you speak like all you care about is the bottom line, and as a music fan, I couldn't give two shit how many millions Axl and Co rake in per show.

Sick of fans acting as if they GNR shouldn't put out new product because there's more money to be made touring. Wow, how admirable, to ditch the art and follow the gravy train. All I can say is, thank God the majority of other bands actually give a shit about making new music... but seeing as you only care about making the already multi-millionaires Axl and Slash even wealthier, then you must find following this band very fulfilling. I actually became a Guns fan cuz I liked the music, there's the difference.

If you like their music, listen to It and quit acting like a whiny bitch. It's a business and there job. Do you work for free? Since the other bands that you mentioned give a shit and are making new music that you enjoy than go to a forum dedicated to that particular band. No sense In being bitter with a band that will not give you what you want.

Edited by ironmt

1 minute ago, ironmt said:

If you like their music, listen to It and quit acting like a whiny bitch. It's a business and there job. Do you work for free? Since the other bands that you mentioned give a shit and are making new music that you enjoy than go to a forum dedicated to that particular band. No sense In being bitter with a band that will not give you what you want.

Only on a GNR forum would you get called a whiny bitch for expecting the band to release music every once in a while.

I'm happy for you though, that one album in the last 25 years is more than enough to keep you excited and invested in this band.

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

Only on a GNR forum would you get called a whiny bitch for expecting the band to release music every once in a while.

I'm happy for you though, that one album in the last 25 years is more than enough to keep you excited and invested in this band.

Actually Appetite, the Illusion albums and Lies were good enough to satisfy me for life. Chinese and The Spaghetti Incident, not so much.  

2 minutes ago, ironmt said:

Actually Appetite, the Illusion albums and Lies were good enough to satisfy me for life. Chinese and The Spaghetti Incident, not so much.  

You don't get bored listening to those same albums over and over? Can I ask, how long have you been a fan?