GNR Photography Contracts

So, the management is giving out these contracts to photographers which they have to sign, or otherwise they wont be able to take pics. The contract basically says, that he photographer is only allowed to publish  6 pictures in the magazine in mediocre quality. Also the photographer gives up his right to the pictures which belong to the band after that. A swiss online magazine which got the contract therefore boycotted the concert and won't be taking any pics of that show. Here is the contract, and below the article which explains why they are boycotting this. They would've also been allowed to take pictured from behind the 2nd barricade.

fotovertrag-guns-n-roses2.jpg?w=1000&ssl

https://negativewhite.ch/weshalb-wir-keine-fotos-von-guns-n-roses-publizieren-werden/

Edited by xBrownstonex

Not really sure how I feel about this. It just comes off as being shady, but at the same time, I understand they want full control of the band and control of "their" pictures. At this point they are just a business. Just like Kiss.

Edited by Tourettes2400

Lame and boring :sleeper:

*not to mention their photographer Kat has not worked at all in this leg of the tour.
Her pics consist of a general take of the whole crowd in the stadium, with a GN'R transparent stamp and that's all they post at the social media accounts.
The rest of the pictures are not uploaded to the official website anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tourettes2400 said:

Not really sure how I feel about this. It just comes off as being shady, but at the same time, I understand they want full control of the band and control of "their" pictures. At this point they are just a business. Just like Kiss.

And every other band....this is how big bands operate.

• Like 1

When the illusion albums came out this is no more different to how the band were checking a journalists material before allowing the journalist to print the interview. Everytime a  journalist would interview them the band would have to "sign off" on the content before allowing the interview to be published. If the band didn't agree to the content then there would be legal ramifications.

I've heard of the 3 song rule before so that's not a big deal but the minimum web size part sucks. I guess that's why so many concert photos are shit quality. 

Eh, not surprising. It's the nature of the game nowadays.

I wonder if it's hard to make a living in photography anymore. I remember several years back the Chicago Suntimes fired all their photographers and just told their reporters to snap photos with their cell phones as needed. SMH

Kat takes some great photos. So from a fan perspective, I'm not really concerned about the limitations GNR and other big bands impose on photographers. It is their business and therefore it is their right. 

Until they develop the geofence technology that disables our phone cameras, as fans, we can still snap photos ourselves if we're close. I have some choice shots of Axl, Slash and Duff that I've taken in the last half decade and I actually have some framed and hanging in my home.