Any tips for surviving/enjoying the pit at a GNR show?

I think I have a mild form of agoraphobia by which I always feel the need to have an 'escape route'. Even when I used to stand, I used to stand towards the back ''so I could get out fast and easily''. Or would that be enochlophobia which involves a fear of crowds? Combination of the two perhaps? Those South American clips just look like hell to me, something I'd actively avoid.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think I have a mild form of agoraphobia by which I always feel the need to have an 'escape route'. Even when I used to stand, I used to stand towards the back ''so I could get out fast and easily''. Or would that be enochlophobia which involves a fear of crowds? Combination of the two perhaps? Those South American clips just look like hell to me, something I'd actively avoid.

They may look like "hell" but the atmosphere must be amazing. Would you prefer the opposite: a concert where people just stand still like zombies with their cameras?

Edited by Fourteenbeers

Just now, Fourteenbeers said:

They may look like "hell" but the atmosphere must be amazing. Would you prefer the opposite: a concert where people just stand still like zombies with their cameras in the air?

Not the camera thing!

I'm not criticisng or anything. I'm just saying my immediate reaction to the footage of those South American crowds is one of terror, i.e. something to avoid at all costs. I need an escape route!

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Not the camera thing!

I'm not criticisng or anything. I'm just saying my immediate reaction to the footage of those South American crowds is one of terror, i.e. something to avoid at all costs. I need an escape route!

ok, I get it. :lol:

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Not the camera thing!

The atmosphere is amazing. I went to those concerts and it's such an unforgettable experience, I have no words to describe it.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:07 AM, BangoSkank said:

Get there as early as humanly possible (this will help for when you get into the pit because you can shoot right up to the front and lean on the rail all day - it's a huge help), wait in line, make friends with everyone around you (in case you have to leave and pee and you need to come back to your spot), wear cargo shorts with multiple pockets and fill the pockets with little things you might need throughout the day (snacks, gum, whatever), be prepared to stand idle for hours, then have a balls out good time.

This coming from someone who's done the pit multiple times at tons of shows (never GNR, but these are general tips I've gathered from years of doing this).

I actually pissed on the floor to keep front row for the Ramones, Pantera, Zombie Tour.

I would say to OP "You gotta want it"

• Like 1

US pits are small. You can arrive when the gates open or an hour before the show and still get a decent spot. You can see everything from the back row or even from the sides (where it's pretty wide open actually). As others said, on the rail and if you're short, you will not be able to see the other side of the stage. So if you're on Duff's side on the rail (and the US shows allow you to go to either side of the pit), you will probably only see the top of Slash's head when he's on his side of the stage. But they all move around and they all go to that centerpiece a lot (which makes the back row a great place for photography and being able to see the video effects on the screen.

If you want to try for the rail, I'd say get there at least an hour before the gates open. Pits are small but the stages are huge for these stadium gigs so their wide enough to get a spot. Funny thing is, row 2, 3, 4, etc might be even better if you line up by the center portion that juts out into the middle of the pit since you'lll be closer than the rail right in front of Duff. That's still an easy six-ten feet away from the stage.

And the GNR crowds in the US aren't nuts. They're actually quite tame and everyone was polite. haha

14 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I actually pissed on the floor to keep front row for the Ramones, Pantera, Zombie Tour.

I would say to OP "You gotta want it"

Ha! I've never gone to those measures, but at Springsteen concert a few years ago I did hear rumors of a guy shitting in a cup to not lose his spot. I personally have had luck working my way back if I leave to pee early enough. I'd say try to get everything out before you go into the venue.

And your last statement is 100% true. Pit is not for the weak.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:59 AM, GnR Chris said:

US pits are small. You can arrive when the gates open or an hour before the show and still get a decent spot. You can see everything from the back row or even from the sides (where it's pretty wide open actually). As others said, on the rail and if you're short, you will not be able to see the other side of the stage. So if you're on Duff's side on the rail (and the US shows allow you to go to either side of the pit), you will probably only see the top of Slash's head when he's on his side of the stage. But they all move around and they all go to that centerpiece a lot (which makes the back row a great place for photography and being able to see the video effects on the screen.

Since I am barely 5'9", would you say that I'd be better off not being on the rail and have a better view farther back in the pit?  What would be the ideal location for best view at my height?  Center in front of the catwalk or closer on the side (but back a bit)?  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Since I am barely 5'9", would you say that I'd be better off not being on the rail and have a better view farther back in the pit?  What would be the ideal location for best view at my height?  Center in front of the catwalk or closer on the side (but back a bit)?  Thanks!

Honestly, since it's been a year now I can't give you an answer with 100 percent certainty. At 6'1, I was still able to see the other side of the stage when I was front row on the rail, but not entirely well. And I of course was still able to see the middle portion that extends out to the crowd and splits the pit. You don't want to end up with some tall person behind you. But the stages ARE high and the screens are high. I don't imagine you'll have MUCH of a problem wherever you choose. My advise is try to get there a little before gates open then when you get into the pit, feel it out and see the viewing angles. My sister is 5'3 and she was on the rail and had no complaints.