Any tips for surviving/enjoying the pit at a GNR show?

Ok, GNR fans, my friends and I got pit tickets to see Guns in St. Louis July 27th. I've never been in the pit for any concert, let alone one of this size, so any tips would be appreciated. There are 5 of us, all college/post college aged males. I guess my main questions would be 1) how early do we need to get there? (I'm not necessarily set on getting on the rail). 2) What is the bathroom and drink situation like...i.e. will we be able to get back to our spot if one of us leaves for drinks or the bathroom? Are the pits super packed, or can you move around at all? 3) We're on Duff's side....are the pits separated, or can we move to Slash's side? 4) And finally, what is the atmosphere, etc. in the pits like? Should we expect much moshing, pushing etc, or are people more chill?

Thanks for any and all answers! Any other insights would be appreciated as well. Obviously we're all unbelievably pumped for this show....We all are huge GNR fans, and they are my brother and my favorite band of all time.

Edited by NovemberRain1993

Just now, Underhardy said:

I am also curious on how early you should get to the US venues if you want to get front row on the rail

I've heard you have to get in line like hours and hours ahead of time, so I wasn't going to bother. Plus, once you got a spot, you're probably not gonna be able to leave it for the next 5 hours or you'll lose it.....and my bladder can't wait that long hahaha

• Like 1

Get there as early as humanly possible (this will help for when you get into the pit because you can shoot right up to the front and lean on the rail all day - it's a huge help), wait in line, make friends with everyone around you (in case you have to leave and pee and you need to come back to your spot), wear cargo shorts with multiple pockets and fill the pockets with little things you might need throughout the day (snacks, gum, whatever), be prepared to stand idle for hours, then have a balls out good time.

This coming from someone who's done the pit multiple times at tons of shows (never GNR, but these are general tips I've gathered from years of doing this).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BangoSkank said:

Get there as early as humanly possible (this will help for when you get into the pit because you can shoot right up to the front and lean on the rail all day - it's a huge help), wait in line, make friends with everyone around you (in case you have to leave and pee and you need to come back to your spot), wear cargo shorts with multiple pockets and fill the pockets with little things you might need throughout the day (snacks, gum, whatever), be prepared to stand idle for hours, then have a balls out good time.

This coming from someone who's done the pit multiple times at tons of shows (never GNR, but these are general tips I've gathered from years of doing this).

Are you usually able to make it back to your spot (assuming someone saves it for you) if you leave for a beer/piss/whatever?

Good intel...thanks.  I also will be in the PIT in Mpls.  Sounds like I will come out alive.  And no- I'm not getting there 9 hours early and going for rail.  Somewhere on side/rear is fine by me.  Can't wait. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Black Sabbath said:

If you want to be front row at any point on the rail, my suggestion is to always line up as early as you can. Honestly, I'm always at the venue between 9-10am, but that's because I always have specific spots I got for, and I have friends that line up all day with me and we hang out. If you don't want to do that though, I'd recommend no later than 2pm.

If you don't want front row, you can really get there at any time by the time the opener comes on and likely have a good spot. The pits are big because it's a stadium, but they aren't incredibly large.

Drinks and bathroom? Well, all I can say is good luck. Before the show isn't too bad, but during the show it's always harder to move through the crowd because people are less likely to want to move at all for anyone because they're worried about that person trying to take their spot or something.

As for the pits being separated - they are sold as separate pits, but only one show last year was actually separated and that was it. I'm assuming it'll be the same this year, so you should be able to move freely, but I'd try to have your spot decided on within an hour of GN'R coming on, if not early.

And the atmosphere of GN'R pits always depends on the city. None of the shows last year were particularly rough, and certainly no moshing and pushing, but people can always get roudy depending on the song, especially the first 5 or so when the band first comes out.

All that said, all of this insight is based off of the shows I went to last year, but St. Louis could very well be a different story due to the history. If anything, I'd expect the pits to maybe be more packed and more people lining up earlier than usual. I doubt there will be moshing, but again, based off the history and everything, the crowd could very well be pretty energetic.

See you there.

Yeah, I'm flying in the day of, so I won't be lining up super early. I'm fine being a ways back....anywhere in the pit is gonna be really close.

We're all gonna be drinking, so maybe we'll just find a spot towards the back so we can come and go more easily.

Thanks for the insights! See you there!

To each their own, but I would never spend 10 hours of waiting to be right on the rail when I can arrive 5 minutes before the band goes on stage and be within a couple of feet from the rail (or right behind the person on the rail).  

I find general admission to have a bit of life of their own, with people shifting throughout the concert.  Fights could and will likely break out and open spaces come and go.  There's plenty of opportunity throughout the show to move while on the floor even if you start at the back.  

Another thing to consider is the closer to the stage you are the less you can see (unless you're incredibly tall).  The stage will obstruct viewpoints if you're right up against it and not in the right spots.  I personally prefer being a few feet back to get a better view of the entire stage.  I'm 5'10, so perhaps those going who are taller don't have this issue.  

If a fight or a mosh pits open up (which is unlikely for a GNR show, though happened a lot at VR shows), I make a point of not moving and just kept an elbow raised towards the shoving.  A few guys caught an elbow here or there but I was no worse for ware.  

It's a great experience if you've never been in a pit or GA section.  I'm at the point now that I prefer getting an actual seat and having a bit of a perched view.  But hats off to those who still want to expose themselves to the experience.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

If you're not looking to get the rail, you can get there right before showtime and still manage to get a few rows back...(I did for the 2nd Vegas show). Most people are pretty cool about it, just don't deliberately get in front of people, etc... usually wiggling in between a few people here and there works. 

As far as bathroom, drinks, etc....it's hard to get your same spot back unless you use a sort of buddy system....say high to everyone you see on your way out and ask them to remember you....I also tried that in Vegas but could never get back to where I was ....which was 2nd/3rd row....so I just gave up and ended up hanging out and dancing my butt off in the back 1/3 of the pit.

As far as being able to go over to Slash:s side, I think it depends on the venue.  I've heard some people say they could and others say it was blocked off.

The atmosphere is really tame, especially in the US shows.  No mosh pits, about half the people raise their hands here and there....maybe 1/4 dance a little.....people actually were complaining about me dancing and jumping up and down in my spot in Vegas...smh....I think Dazey was near me and overheard them and basically said,"you're in the pit at a GN'R show, that's what you're supposed to be doing" lol

So absolutely nothing to worry about in that regard...nothing compared to GN'R shows from the 90's.

Hahaha! Those guys actually had a go at me in the bar after the show because of you. :lol:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NovemberRain1993 said:

Haha it was just a figure of speech.

What were the South American shows like??

Well, we are just fuckin crazy here. It's a party, if you have the opportunity to come to Buenos Aires to see a show, do it.

The first video is a compilation of AC/DC shows, Slash and more

The second is an argentinian artist called "Indio Solari". The song is called "Ji Ji Ji" and it's the "biggest pogo of the world" with 200.000 people. Please see this video, 5:40 of glory. 

Edited by feli1269

1 hour ago, Original said:

Good intel...thanks.  I also will be in the PIT in Mpls.  Sounds like I will come out alive.  And no- I'm not getting there 9 hours early and going for rail.  Somewhere on side/rear is fine by me.  Can't wait. 

That's my plan in St Louis.....I'm staying across street to venue.  I'm going to do just like night 2 in Vegas, follow Twitter for when support acts are done and head to the venue straight to the back of the pit.

@Dazey I thought you had all that under control, didn't know you needed back up after the show.  

• Like 3

Just now, tsinindy said:

That's my plan in St Louis.....I'm staying across street to venue.  I'm going to do just like night 2 in Vegas, follow Twitter for when support acts are done and head to the venue straight to the back of the pit.

@Dazey I thought you had all that under control, didn't know you needed back up after the show.  

Oh it wasn't an issue. Just a couple of guys kicking off because KK was jumping about in front of them. I basically told them to get over it and ignored them after that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

If you want to be front row at any point on the rail, my suggestion is to always line up as early as you can. Honestly, I'm always at the venue between 9-10am, but that's because I always have specific spots I got for, and I have friends that line up all day with me and we hang out. If you don't want to do that though, I'd recommend no later than 2pm.

If you don't want front row, you can really get there at any time by the time the opener comes on and likely have a good spot. The pits are big because it's a stadium, but they aren't incredibly large.

Drinks and bathroom? Well, all I can say is good luck. Before the show isn't too bad, but during the show it's always harder to move through the crowd because people are less likely to want to move at all for anyone because they're worried about that person trying to take their spot or something.

As for the pits being separated - they are sold as separate pits, but only one show last year was actually separated and that was it. I'm assuming it'll be the same this year, so you should be able to move freely, but I'd try to have your spot decided on within an hour of GN'R coming on, if not early.

And the atmosphere of GN'R pits always depends on the city. None of the shows last year were particularly rough, and certainly no moshing and pushing, but people can always get roudy depending on the song, especially the first 5 or so when the band first comes out.

All that said, all of this insight is based off of the shows I went to last year, but St. Louis could very well be a different story due to the history. If anything, I'd expect the pits to maybe be more packed and more people lining up earlier than usual. I doubt there will be moshing, but again, based off the history and everything, the crowd could very well be pretty energetic.

See you there.

Maybe depend the age???

I'm a woman, 160cm high and I was in the pit at the Slane Castle show, few meters from the rail, arrived one hour before the band hit the stage. I think you have no problem with survival :-)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have never fathomed how people are able to stand so long. I'm far too lazy for standing that long.

Not all of us are lazy.

Also, the only time you actually HAVE to stand is when you're in the venue. Before that, you can easily wait in line and sit down, or even walk around and go do some things for short periods of time depending on where the venue is located and if people are OK with holding your spot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

When I am forced to stand for long periods I find myself doing a rather funny dance whereby I transfer my body weight from one leg to the other.

I think that applies to every human being.

Again, not for everyone, but at the end of the day it's always worth it for me when the band comes on stage.

• Like 2

I know the system in the US is pretty different from Brazil but what I do everytime I go to a concert is, I pee before I find my spot, I try to eat before too and I try to drink water through the whole thing. I remember on my GNR gig last year I was feeling like I was in hell because it was hot as fuck and water saved me several times