Untypical songs

Zurimor

Do you know any good, but really untypical songs by whichever band, artist....?

One example I have is "One Day" by Skinny Puppy, beautiful one, but really different from everything else they did.

Edited by Zurimor
  • Like 1

That whole album actually, Together Through Life. I love the Tex-Mex vibe that other Dylan stuff just doesn't have. 

I've always found Gimme Shelter an untypical Stones song as well. 

Edited by username

cool thread!

One of my favourite artists is a folk singer with some flirtation with country in recent years, Amelia Curran.  Then a pop-rock lead single came out recently.  Felt like pete seger wanting to take an axe to the power lines at the electric Dylan show!  Its fine enough but I hope it remains an untypical song!

Side note, I love doing cut and paste art!

Second side note, its also a weird change of direction as this is the style, arrangements and protection style that her peers in Canadian rock were doing in the mid 2000's.  Weird to emulate what your peers did a decade ago, imo.

Edited by soon
spelling

Neil Young put out entire uncharacteristic albums out during the 1980s! Where do I begin?

I think if you are looking at commercially successful/ubiquitous songs that are untypical, which is probably the best way to approach the question, then ''Miss You'', Jagger's flirtation with New York disco, was definitely uncharacteristic for The Rolling Stones. I've also often thought ''Paranoid'', a song conceived as a throwaway, was not entirely typical of the Ozzy era Sabbath oeuvre. I will try and think of further examples.

• Like 1

ODB aka Big Baby Jesus aka Dirt McGirt aka Dirt Dog

In this one song alone he does everything from exaggerated singing to reverse rapping. He even manages to slip in some Sittin on the Dock of the Bay. By the time it's over it feels like you've heard three different songs. That's not even to mention just his overall craziness. "I'm a psycho killaaaaaaa Norman Bates"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J Dog said:

I like that Hellbilly sound too. Pretty unconventional especially for something considered country.

Williams spent much of his early career playing drums in punk rock bands during the late 1980s and early to mid-1990s.

when Minnie Pearl first saw Hank she said honey you're a ghost! cos of his resemblance to his grandpappy Hank Williams Sr.