Minus 3 or Minus 1?

Personally, and I actually don't know why, I find the thoughts of an album with Slash and Duff minus Izzy harder to swallow than an album minus Izzy, Slash and Duff (Chi Dem). 

Whats peoples thoughts on this?

Even with those 2 with Axl, as crazy as it sounds, its still new territory for GN'R. 

Are you hopeful? Does Izzy need to write and be there for foundation and licks? Will a new album minus Izzy thats a huge success finally bury his legacy? 

• Like 1

I believe Slash and Axl could do fine without Izzy.

People like to say the first Snakepit album is garbage just because Axl said so, but that album is fuckin kickass, one of the best and hardest hard rock n roll albums around. Dover did an amazing job, Axl could do it even better.

Replecing three or four songs and putting two Axl epics and two acoustics... Id'd be a flawless album, Beggars could be easily a hit.

• Like 4

Axl, Slash and Duff once tried to make an album, or possibly twice (94, 96) without Izzy.  Which brings us to now.

I love CD, I love Five O'clock Somewhere.  (Both really layered and equally self indulgent to my ears, just as an aside) 

So they could do those with out Izzy which would still be incredible.  Soma City Ward, Izzy's co write on Five o'clock Somewhere is a favourite of mine from that disc.

I especially Love Five O'clock, but no: without izzy it wouldn't have that extra, over the top, amazingness that made GNR this band we gather around, imo.

Drums remains an issue in this equation if you ask me.  Just like Izzy said.

I feel like they tried before around 95-6. They never cited no Izzy as the main problem. Slash would have done Snakepit as Guns with Gilby it seemed and there's a lot of fans I think would take most Slash solo with Axl singing as Guns. I think there's a lot more leeway to it than is suggested by the releases so far. 

I see that contradiction though, the chemistry, the brotherhood, but really not really bothered. 

It's not GNR may come back to haunt Slash and Duff. If anyone cares enough which I doubt they do.

Majority is Axl and Slash and shut up. 

I guess they want to smash it out the park. 

5 hours ago, default_ said:

Replacing three or four songs and putting two Axl epics and two acoustics... Id'd be a flawless album, Beggars could be easily a hit.

That is pretty much the perfect summation of that album.  Very Amazing and underrated album.

3 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Izzy's ass! Fu(k him and the ju ju hounds he rode in on.

ce86e406ebe406d4a1a24d350cc6b3411c5d86fa

:lol::lol:

But seriously, I always thought  Izzy was the balancing factor in the songwriting process - the one preventing that the songs didn't become overly pompous, overproduced clusterfucks.

For me overdoing /overproducing/ more is more -attitude takes the feeling a way from the music and makes it kind of exhausting to listen to.  But that's just my opinion.. 

• Like 1

I think it'd still be a good album. If they all compromise it could be an album with one or two Axl ballads/epics and eight to ten rockers.

As for Izzy's legacy, he's not really acknowledged outside of the GNR fan camp. I don't mean that in a bad way either. He just doesn't tour like Axl/Slash/Duff have for the last 20 years and isn't noticed or remembered as much because of that. He'll always have a legacy in the GNR community though.

The three of them could wrap an album in a month, have it mixed and mastered and on the digital marketplace in 3 months, easy. Doesn't mean they will though; there is no money in releasing music and unless they produce the record and release through their own label/independently, I doubt a record company will put Axl in the studio again.

9 hours ago, default_ said:

I believe Slash and Axl could do fine without Izzy.

People like to say the first Snakepit album is garbage just because Axl said so, but that album is fuckin kickass, one of the best and hardest hard rock n roll albums around. Dover did an amazing job, Axl could do it even better.

Replecing three or four songs and putting two Axl epics and two acoustics... Id'd be a flawless album, Beggars could be easily a hit.

Agreed. That would have been GNR's second best album with Axl on it as it is, can't imagine how good it would have been with Axl's contributions.

10 hours ago, soon said:

Axl, Slash and Duff once tried to make an album, or possibly twice (94, 96) without Izzy.  Which brings us to now.

I love CD, I love Five O'clock Somewhere.  (Both really layered and equally self indulgent to my ears, just as an aside) 

So they could do those with out Izzy which would still be incredible.  Soma City Ward, Izzy's co write on Five o'clock Somewhere is a favourite of mine from that disc.

I especially Love Five O'clock, but no: without izzy it wouldn't have that extra, over the top, amazingness that made GNR this band we gather around, imo.

Drums remains an issue in this equation if you ask me.  Just like Izzy said.

Where do you got this info from? I never heard of that before. I know Duff is listed as co-writer for Beggars but Izzys involvement is new to me.

I have mixed feelings about a new album, it's not so much Izzy's non involvement that worries me but Frank, Richard and Melissa. I can stomach them as touring members but it becomes too far removed from GnR for me if they are credited on new music.

That said, I would like to hear new music from Axl, Slash and Duff and I hope they can pull it off, between them they should be able to bring 3/5 of the magic. 

My interest in the band is waining I feel they need to do something that injects a little risk, instead of rolling out endless tour dates where the only new thing we get to hear is a cover, and none of those have really been exceptional with out Izzy's ability to arrange songs- Didn't Duff credit him with that skill in his book?

So as things stand I don't think we need to worry about Izzy being buried in time, as the GnR legacy is AFD and Illusions and they seem happy to keep it that way. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

ce86e406ebe406d4a1a24d350cc6b3411c5d86fa

:lol::lol:

But seriously, I always thought  Izzy was the balancing factor in the songwriting process - the one preventing that the songs didn't become overly pompous, overproduced clusterfucks.

For me overdoing /overproducing/ more is more -attitude takes the feeling a way from the music and makes it kind of exhausting to listen to.  But that's just my opinion.. 

Izzy seems to hold them back a liitle in terms of overproducing because the songs are sort of stripped down and Stonesy. So it's hard to really go orchestra. But Dust N Bones and 14 Years have a pretty big sound. Axl seems to be able to slip a keyboard into a Slash song though. 

Duff's The Taking has some strong material. I loved it.

Slash w/Myles and Slash's last solo record also has several standout tracks.

And I think Chinese Democracy is brilliant.

Izzy's 117° is his best solo stuff, in my opinion.

We all know what these guys were capable of together and then separately with other musicians. I had hoped when rumors of a Slash return started that Izzy would be a part of it. Well, he hasn't. I highly doubt then that he'd come to the studio and do any work. And really, he didn't even do much of that in the Illusions years. He brought in his ideas and split.

3 hours ago, wasted said:

Izzy seems to hold them back a liitle in terms of overproducing because the songs are sort of stripped down and Stonesy. So it's hard to really go orchestra. But Dust N Bones and 14 Years have a pretty big sound. Axl seems to be able to slip a keyboard into a Slash song though. 

Axl sure likes keyboards.... and cats... so why not combine them?

Here's a new member for Gn'R. Don't even have to share the loot with him. Just pay in tuna. :P

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Personally, and I actually don't know why, I find the thoughts of an album with Slash and Duff minus Izzy harder to swallow than an album minus Izzy, Slash and Duff (Chi Dem). 

Whats peoples thoughts on this?

Even with those 2 with Axl, as crazy as it sounds, its still new territory for GN'R. 

Are you hopeful? Does Izzy need to write and be there for foundation and licks? Will a new album minus Izzy thats a huge success finally bury his legacy? 

izzy is the bedrock, the filter in which all gnr went through.  with that said, gnr was one of the rare bands where each member really did write their own parts, hence what DELUSION it was axl tried to be gnr ALONE.  The afd5 is gnr, the further you get away from them... well, the further you get from gnr.  

so anything without izzy is a mistake because anything without izzy isn't as good as it could have been.  izzy needs to be there.  

Izzy's legacy is rock solid.  he left and the band fell to pieces... not a coincidence.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Agreed - without Izzy they may not be able to see the forest for the trees. Then again, we can't forget about Duff, who can probably pull off the balancing/straightforward punk role.

But I think it will still be good, great even. Let's not forget some of GNR's greatest masterpieces (Coma, Locomotive, Estranged, Civil War etc) had nothing to do with Izzy.

4 minutes ago, nonok said:

Let's not forget some of GNR's greatest masterpieces (Coma, Locomotive, Estranged, Civil War etc) had nothing to do with Izzy.

Izzy helped Slash write Locomotive. Slash said it himsellf in his book.

There is zero evidence that Izzy didnt help with the other tracks. He surely must have helped with something, specially arrangements and song structure.

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Where do you got this info from? I never heard of that before. I know Duff is listed as co-writer for Beggars but Izzys involvement is new to me.

same here, never heard of that

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

If these guys write new music it'll be rocking with or without the other two guys.

Think about it like this.

Axl - Chinese.

Slash & Duff - Contraband.

Roll that into one, and you have a smashing new record!

shitty record plus generic rock record equals a smashing album!

thats new math to me!

:rofl-lol:

• Like 1