Would you rather hear CD II or brand new songs?

CD II or brand new songs?  

175 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

They're all past their prime though. Whatever was left in the tank was wasted on Slash's solo albums, the Izzy solo albums, and Chinese. And Axl's voice is in heavy decline.

AFD 5 are so talented I'm sure whatever they do will be worth listening to - I just think it will be a huge drop-off from AFD and Illusions. They could very well tarnish their legacy. Think about a bad sequel to a great movie - you never look at the franchise the same way. Terminator 1-2 were legendary. After a bunch of shitty sequels - you couldn't pay people to sit through another Terminator movie.

There's something to be said about leaving on a strong note.

i strongly disagree

just listen to izzys songs he released last year -- there is brilliant stuff in there, they rock.

just listen to any slash solo album -- there is zillions of fantastic riffs and licks. They are BURIED in lifeless songs that go nowhere but they stilll are terrific.

just listen to the horrible axl rose solo album -- there are great vocal melodies and passion in there. Its just too bad that all of it is LOST in some horrible songs.

put these three guys together -- plus duff and a decent drummer -- and you will get a great GNR album in two weeks

just like that

• Like 3

New songs are a must from this line up. They need a rocker single and ballad with huge solo from Slash. A Jungle and Don't Cry. But after that a song Fortus had been working and Slash and him finish. Definitely whatever Axl's been working on. At least a UYI blend of material. 

The weird thing is until they announce studio time with a new producer how close are we to that. Fortus recent quotes seem to be writing stage still. It's that final step that will get me more excited. 

As much as I want to hear CD II, I can't see CD II with Slash and Duff on it fulfilling the wants of the returning reunion fans. It would be a statement by Axl but any hint of that would mire any release. It needs to be in the UYI fuck yeah vicinity. Some sort of hard rock base, whether any of the CD era stuff is in that vein I don't know. 

Edited by wasted

57 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I voted CDII but my real answer is more like: CDII songs, untouched as they would have been released with Robin. 

It seems more likely to be the CD era song but with guitars by Fortus and Slash. I could see some convoluted creative processes on the liner notes. Writen by Rose, Slash, Finck, Fortus. 

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i still liked gnr from january 1991 till september 1991

I like it too, who doesn't? Still, most of the Appetite catalogue suffered heavily with Matt on drums. There are many people who can play the songs "right" but there are only five who can play them the same way as you hear them on Appetite. Five, not four.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

It seems more likely to be the CD era song but with guitars by Fortus and Slash. I could see some convoluted creative processes on the liner notes. Writen by Rose, Slash, Finck, Fortus. 

Sounds like a dog's dinner.

Here is a suggestion: go and eat humble pie with Stradlin and Adler; hire a sweaty garage; write a rock n' roll album in a few weeks; record in a few weeks; stick the thing out. No bollocks. No superfluous bandmembers.  No ''bleeps''. No ballads.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 3

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Sounds like a dog's dinner.

Here is a suggestion: go and eat humble pie with Stradlin and Adler; hire a sweaty garage; write a rock n' roll album in a few weeks; record in a few weeks; stick the thing out.

It's an idea but they have never done that. Even AFD had a few years of writing. They were on the streets or whatever for 5 years writing and perfecting songs? 

but it's still an idea. If you have Izzy and songs are laid down Slash beefs them up and Izzy sings half the songs. 

But it does seem quite far removed fron what GNR became. to me they are a stadium band ans that comes with things. 

Liam always said he wanted to do a 2 week album. There's a lot experiments or alternative realities I would enjoy from GNR. Axl on WOF, Axl and Izzy Stones album. Axl, Duff, Slash on an Izzy album might be a possibility. 

Slash is the master of energy so I guess if they went with him recording in a AFD way in 2 weeks he could get something going on fire. They seem to have material. Do it for Record Day. Release only 100 copies on vinyl. 

Just now, wasted said:

It's an idea but they have never done that. Even AFD had a few years of writing. They were on the streets or whatever for 5 years writing and perfecting songs? 

but it's still an idea. If you have Izzy and songs are laid down Slash beefs them up and Izzy sings half the songs. 

But it does seem quite far removed fron what GNR became. to me they are a stadium band ans that comes with things. 

Liam always said he wanted to do a 2 week album. There's a lot experiments or alternative realities I would enjoy from GNR. Axl on WOF, Axl and Izzy Stones album. Axl, Duff, Slash on an Izzy album might be a possibility. 

Slash is the master of energy so I guess if they went with him recording in a AFD way in 2 weeks he could get something going on fire. They seem to have material. Do it for Record Day. Release only 100 copies on vinyl. 

All the other guys employ a similar methodology. The problem is Rose. Rose needs to realise that by far his greatest contribution to music was as a rock n' roll singer on Appetite. Listen to him with AC/DC: his best vocal in years. All of the piano laden bleepy numetal stuff just doesn't work.

• Like 1

Axl should release only stuff his vocals can still handle. That would probably rule out a lot of the stuff already recorded with CD 2. I don't see a point in releasing songs where he sounds like his 30 year old self, belting it out with chainsaw rasp in order to falsetto them live and have 2) casuals not caring and waiting for Jungle and b) hardcores wondering how would they sound if Axl could still sing them.

You guys overthink things. Nothing they ever release will remotely live up to AFD. Rock and roll will never be what it was back then. Latest albuns my Metallica or AC/DC don't come close to living up to Master of Puppets or Back in Black. They are generally good, classico rockers with the style of the bands, are well received and a solid reason to keep touring - GNR will need one once the novelty of Slash being back wears of with the casuals - it is already wearing off with us hardcores.

Some decent bluesy rockers by Slash, with a bit of Axl's AC/DC voice thrown in here and there. A few piano ballads from Axl, with lots of his lower register voice, and no more falsettoing. A few punkers from Duff, he can also sing in one or two of them. Fortus is a very accomplished player and surely has a few things to bring to the table. A decent rock disc that sounds like GNR, decently promoted, with a few videos and shit. 

They surely have the talent and skill to do that. Rock fans are desperate for anything that keeps rock somewhat alive, and GNR are on the top of the little rock world right now. We would find a lot to like in it, magazines would receive it decently (as the actually did CD, BTW). Casuals would have new piss breaks instead of TIL, Sorry, etc. GNR would have a reason to keep touring and making slightly-less-but-still-shitloads of money. It's not rocket science and I think it will happen eventually.

Also, St. Anger didn't ruin Metallica. Not even 56 minutos of Axl farting on a mic would ruin GNR in the current rock and roll landscape.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

All the other guys employ a similar methodology. The problem is Rose. Rose needs to realise that by far his greatest contribution to music was as a rock n' roll singer on Appetite. Listen to him with AC/DC: his best vocal in years. All of the piano laden bleepy numetal stuff just doesn't work.

That's debatable but what about Nov Rain and Estranged and stuff like TWAT and Catcher? 

Just Axl is the main songwriter without Izzy. Especially if they are working off vocal melodies like AFD. 

If Izzy comes back then it's much more likely. But no Izzy and cut Axl out as a writer? 

Slash and Duff write the songs and Axl just sings over them? That can't be the answer. 

Just now, wasted said:

That's debatable but what about Nov Rain and Estranged and stuff like TWAT and Catcher? 

Just Axl is the main songwriter without Izzy. Especially if they are working off vocal melodies like AFD. 

If Izzy comes back then it's much more likely. But no Izzy and cut Axl out as a writer? 

Slash and Duff write the songs and Axl just sings over them? That can't be the answer. 

TWAT and Catcher are simply awful. Give Rose one ballad like November or Estranged but organic sounding like Estranged and not full of pasted on bleeps, nu metal sounds and shred.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Axl should release only stuff his vocals can still handle. That would probably rule out a lot of the stuff already recorded with CD 2. I don't see a point in releasing songs where he sounds like his 30 year old self, belting it out with chainsaw rasp in order to falsetto them live and have 2) casuals not caring and waiting for Jungle and b) hardcores wondering how would they sound if Axl could still sing them.

You guys overthink things. Nothing they ever release will remotely live up to AFD. Rock and roll will never be what it was back then. Latest albuns my Metallica or AC/DC don't come close to living up to Master of Puppets or Back in Black. They are generally good, classico rockers with the style of the bands, are well received and a solid reason to keep touring - GNR will need one once the novelty of Slash being back wears of with the casuals - it is already wearing off with us hardcores.

Some decent bluesy rockers by Slash, with a bit of Axl's AC/DC voice thrown in here and there. A few piano ballads from Axl, with lots of his lower register voice, and no more falsettoing. A few punkers from Duff, he can also sing in one or two of them. Fortus is a very accomplished player and surely has a few things to bring to the table. A decent rock disc that sounds like GNR, decently promoted, with a few videos and shit. 

They surely have the talent and skill to do that. Rock fans are desperate for anything that keeps rock somewhat alive, and GNR are on the top of the little rock world right now. We would find a lot to like in it, magazines would receive it decently (as the actually did CD, BTW). Casuals would have new piss breaks instead of TIL, Sorry, etc. GNR would have a reason to keep touring and making slightly-less-but-still-shitloads of money. It's not rocket science and I think it will happen eventually.

Also, St. Anger didn't ruin Metallica. Not even 56 minutos of Axl farting on a mic would ruin GNR in the current rock and roll landscape.

I feel like they have most of what they need to lay down a classic GNR album in a more UYI or CD way in terms of spread of material. With Izzy could catch a bigger wave but still. 

I guess it might do they do a reunion based record or do they continue where Axl was going only a revised version.

Maybe they don't want to do either like you said they can't top the past and the future isn't what rock is about anymore.But still why not? They are financially secure. I guess protect their cred. Do something they believe it. It always matters maybe. 

Get the live sound on the album. Clink did that on AFD I think. 

Edited by wasted

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

TWAT and Catcher are simply awful. Give Rose one ballad like November or Estranged but organic sounding like Estranged and not full of pasted on bleeps, nu metal sounds and shred.

Well I think that's a given with Slash. But where's the ballad going to come from if not Axl's vocal melody? 

Contraband without Fall to Pieces with Estranged 2? 

3 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

I want The General. Jackie Chan. Atlas Shrugged. I want Soul Monster. Those are guaranteed hits.

Hard to say hits. If they exist I'd like to hear them. But the general audience might be happy with Suckertrain Blues, Slither, Fall to Pieces? 

I don't see why not both. Slash will bring the 80s hard rock hits back and Axl does some CD era stuff. Slash might rework them so they blend more with whatever new stuff they do. 

I think marginalizing Rose would be counter productive. I can't see Slash and Duff wanting to do that. 

11 minutes ago, wasted said:

Hard to say hits. If they exist I'd like to hear them. But the general audience might be happy with Suckertrain Blues, Slither, Fall to Pieces? 

I don't see why not both. Slash will bring the 80s hard rock hits back and Axl does some CD era stuff. Slash might rework them so they blend more with whatever new stuff they do. 

I think marginalizing Rose would be counter productive. I can't see Slash and Duff wanting to do that. 

How the band sound now pretty much indicate how they will sound on record, as loud and bombastic. I'd imagine a new album would also incorporate electronic textures. Little elements that would appeal to your typical Coachella crowd. Catchy, electronic, sleaze, metal songs. But at the same time, Guns N' Roses is now a stadium band, so you would expect them to sound great on stage. Another Anastasia would be huge.

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

How the band sound now pretty much indicate how they will sound on record, as loud and bombastic. I'd imagine a new album would also incorporate electronic textures. Little elements that would appeal to your typical Coachella crowd. Catchy, electronic, sleaze, metal songs. But at the same time, Guns N' Roses is now a stadium band, so you would expect them to sound great on stage. Another Anastasia would be huge.

On a youtube video I saw I think for Chi dem Frank's drums were really heavy and wild and Slash riffing away hard, Inheard more keyboard with Melissa. It was deeper and darker and sexier on CD songs. Maybe that was already the VR vibe coming through. 

Because Axl is the sole lyricist, not forgetting Duff - I could see them working of CD era lyrics/melodies but just VR ing them. 

Getting the live sound on record might be the thing like Clink did on AFD. 

Edited by wasted