Would you rather hear CD II or brand new songs?

CD II or brand new songs?  

175 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:34 AM, RONIN said:

Don't fuck with Buckethead's work on the Chinese songs - just release all that stuff as is.

100%

There'll be untold gold there, don't let it go to waste.

I voted CDII, however if it exists there's no reason why we can't have both - CDII and a new album. I guess it's just marketing the throws a spanner in the works for CDII (difficult to release an album produced by a different line up to current, although counter argument to this is that this is what happened with CDI).

Although I voted CDII, if I was a betting man I don't think we'll see that until after the band have split again, and any new material will be Slash / Duff etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I like it too, who doesn't? Still, most of the Appetite catalogue suffered heavily with Matt on drums. There are many people who can play the songs "right" but there are only five who can play them the same way as you hear them on Appetite. Five, not four.

agreed

its fun how matt changed his sound and approach. he sounded much better in 1991 (rock in rio he sounds great)

then he changed the tone of his drumming and by 1992 it was really awful sounding, i am no drummer so i can not tell what he did there, it just made him sound bad!

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

agreed

its fun how matt changed his sound and approach. he sounded much better in 1991 (rock in rio he sounds great)

then he changed the tone of his drumming and by 1992 it was really awful sounding, i am no drummer so i can not tell what he did there, it just made him sound bad!

I really dig Matts drumming on TSI and Snakepit. In general I'm more of Steven-drumming-style-fan of course and I think TSI with Steven and Izzy would sound way punkier but I still like Matts work on those records.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I really dig Matts drumming on TSI and Snakepit. In general I'm more of Steven-drumming-style-fan of course and I think TSI with Steven and Izzy would sound way punkier but I still like Matts work on those records.

i like it too, he sounds great on TSI

18 hours ago, RONIN said:

They're all past their prime though. Whatever was left in the tank was wasted on Slash's solo albums, the Izzy solo albums, and Chinese. And Axl's voice is in heavy decline.

AFD 5 are so talented I'm sure whatever they do will be worth listening to - I just think it will be a huge drop-off from AFD and Illusions. They could very well tarnish their legacy. Think about a bad sequel to a great movie - you never look at the franchise the same way. Terminator 1-2 were legendary. After a bunch of shitty sequels - you couldn't pay people to sit through another Terminator movie.

There's something to be said about leaving on a strong note.

i dont disagree with anything you said. but cd is like terminator salvation. no arnold. and even if the next sequel is shit id much prefer watch a shitty arnold movie than a shitty no arnold movie

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

agreed

5 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I like it too. Probably the UYI tour is the worst Matt have sounded actually. I also love his drumming in VR and I think he was playing GNR songs better with VR, especially Mr. Brownstone.

• Like 1

CDII - As much as I love that Axl & Slash are playing together again, I can't imagine they're back on the same page again creatively.

Chinese Democracy, love it or hate it, was a reeeeally interesting album and Axl tried to do something unique on it. I'd love to hear more like it - the 0:08 leak of "Silkworms" alone makes me extremely curious as to what's in that vault.

5 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

CDII - As much as I love that Axl & Slash are playing together again, I can't imagine they're back on the same page again creatively.

Alternatively, they've had their tiff and went their own ways musically for a while and now with years of experience and time apart they are in a better mood and position to collaborate again.

(and Axl will still not share it with us)

Edited by sanity_lost

Just now, sanity_lost said:

Alternatively, they've had their tiff and went their own ways musically for a while and now with years of experience and time apart there are in a better mood and position to collaborate again.

Totally true, and on a personal level they're back on track, but that doesn't account much for artistic tastes. Axl always wanted to take things further out there, Slash was into the raw and gritty sound. When they collaborate they compliment one another well, and I could be wrong about all this. I just see Slash not wanting to be on a song like "Better" and Axl wanting to do something bigger than classic hard rock. 

20 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I voted CDII but my real answer is more like: CDII songs, untouched as they would have been released with Robin. 

Absolutely. I'd prefer the CD era material released right now as is. Maybe as a lead up to a new album with Slash and Duff. 

4 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

i dont disagree with anything you said. but cd is like terminator salvation. no arnold. and even if the next sequel is shit id much prefer watch a shitty arnold movie than a shitty no arnold movie

Well...ain't that the truth. More Arnold is always a good thing.

But here's the real question - do you want to see your favorite band become mediocre? Think of how legendary Metallica would have been had they quit with the black album.

I feel like mediocre content dilutes the original impact - you see it all the time, old sports stars making a comeback, old movie franchises coming out with a sequel - does that ever pan out well? 

I want more Guns music like everyone else but if it's like Contraband or even Chinese - :shrugs:

I hope if they actually put something out - it's a sprawling epic like UYI. Just go all out excess which is Gunner style. Going back to their roots or Slash's favorite back to basics approach is a big mistake because they can never recreate the alchemy of AFD and LIES. It's been done and perfected. They're not those lean, hungry rockers anymore. Pointless to try to recreate that. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I feel like mediocre content dilutes the original impact - you see it all the time, old sports stars making a comeback, old movie franchises coming out with a sequel - does that ever pan out well? 

I don't feel that way. Weezer's first two albums are freaking brilliant. Since they've made some terrible albums, some mediocre, and even some good albums, but never managed to get back to the genius of the first two. But for me that doesn't take anything away from those first two albums.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RONIN said:

But here's the real question - do you want to see your favorite band become mediocre? Think of how legendary Metallica would have been had they quit with the black album.

I want more Guns music like everyone else but if it's like Contraband or even Chinese - :shrugs:

I hope if they actually put something out - it's a sprawling epic like UYI. Just go all out excess which is Gunner style. Going back to their roots or Slash's favorite back to basics approach is a big mistake because they can never recreate the alchemy of AFD and LIES. It's been done and perfected. They're not those lean, hungry rockers anymore. Pointless to try to recreate that. 

yeah i agree with that too but just going by the op's question, id rather hear brand new stuff, whatever that may be, than something that was penciled by axl and whoever was in the band post chinese and pre reunion. id like to see what axl slash and duff can write and record together, even if its shit lol the ultimate slap in the face would be a new record with some songs written by ashba

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RONIN said:

I feel like for GNR a strength has been to move on. A lot don't though. But what you are saying circles around some of the issues, but who knows if those actually matter. I've heard people say Presence is their favorite Zepp. So it's not impossible. 

I feel like songwriting or having something to say could cut through a lot of this stuff. Plus with Axl's perfectionism monitoring the quality, they won't release just anything. It's like although there's this pressure, it also helps in a way. 

29 minutes ago, Asia said:

At this point I'd take anything I haven't heard yet, nevermind when it was writtten...

I think only real hardcore fans would even ask when it was written or by who. Does anyone ask who wrote back off bitch, there's quite a few other writers on UYI. Nobody even cares Izzy wrote this or that. That's an extreme example but there's others writers but Slash cohesivied it, if that's a word. Even covers like Spag incodent, Slash guitar and Axls vocals is what people want. 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

I think only real hardcore fans would even ask when it was written or by who. Does anyone ask who wrote back off bitch, there's quite a few other writers on UYI. Nobody even cares Izzy wrote this or that. That's an extreme example but there's others writers but Slash cohesivied it, if that's a word. Even covers like Spag incodent, Slash guitar and Axls vocals is what people want. 

Yes and rightly so because what does it matter when it was written or by whom exactly? If the song is great it is great, if it is shit it is shit. It there are great songs written by Axl 15 years ago that Slash can add guitars to and turn them into a GNR masterpiece why would I mind? I'm not saying there are such songs, but if there were, I don't care when they were written.....

• Like 1