Just Another Sunday/Other Unreleased Demos

Has Axl ever commented on any of the scrapped material from pre-UYI? I'd be interested in reading an interview about this. These recordings are rarely acknowledged in GN'R culture. I'm curious whether Geffen heard the material and told the band to scrap it or if the band decided the material just wasn't going in the right direction.

1 hour ago, BringitBackhome348 said:

Has Axl ever commented on any of the scrapped material from pre-UYI? I'd be interested in reading an interview about this. These recordings are rarely acknowledged in GN'R culture. I'm curious whether Geffen heard the material and told the band to scrap it or if the band decided the material just wasn't going in the right direction.

As a musician myself you just decide, as a band, whats going to make the record or not. Every band has surplus songs and ideas and most think some of them are too shit to be finished or released. They end up on the cutting room floor, saved to be reworked or simply forgotten about. I'd be surprised if any of them even remember these songs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

As a musician myself you just decide, as a band, whats going to make the record or not. Every band has surplus songs and ideas and most think some of them are too shit to be finished or released. They end up on the cutting room floor, saved to be reworked or simply forgotten about. I'd be surprised if any of them even remember these songs.

Those are all good points. I am a musician myself so I understand that completely. I have spent a lot of years researching Guns history. Through all of the information I have learned, I am fascinated by the mystery behind the things the band members dont discuss in their books or in interviews. Thanks for the reply!

• Like 1

He briefly commented on Crash Diet when he was here

From the Axl chats:

Q: - What's the story behind Crash Diet and why was it never put on to a GNR album?

A: Somethin’ done with Wes and his friend and more about their guitars than Guns.

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BringitBackhome348 said:

Those are all good points. I am a musician myself so I understand that completely. I have spent a lot of years researching Guns history. Through all of the information I have learned, I am fascinated by the mystery behind the things the band members dont discuss in their books or in interviews. Thanks for the reply!

Totally. Making me think of all the songs I've forgotten over the years that were probably better than what I released lol. 

Those demos are great though. Especially your username Bring It Back Home, would have loved to hear it finished. 

I also like the guitar version of November Rain which I think is Izzy playing cos its his backing vocal. Come to think of it, hearing stripped down versions of big productions would be just as cool as hearing the unreleased songs finished.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Totally. Making me think of all the songs I've forgotten over the years that were probably better than what I released lol. 

Those demos are great though. Especially your username Bring It Back Home, would have loved to hear it finished. 

I also like the guitar version of November Rain which I think is Izzy playing cos its his backing vocal. Come to think of it, hearing stripped down versions of big productions would be just as cool as hearing the unreleased songs finished.

Yeah I definitely love the November Rain demos. The piano demo was phenomenal for me. Even with the tape warble in it and Axl playing out of key near the end, I would love to have heard a polished studio version of that demo. 

On another note: The partial live recording of Sweet Child that morphs into a studio re-recording with Axl's new band was another strange one for me. You never really hear the story behind it and it never gets mentioned in interviews. I feel like everybody asks the same tired questions to the band. If I ever get the chance to interview Axl I will pull out the tough questions lol. 

5 minutes ago, BringitBackhome348 said:

Yeah I definitely love the November Rain demos. The piano demo was phenomenal for me. Even with the tape warble in it and Axl playing out of key near the end, I would love to have heard a polished studio version of that demo. 

On another note: The partial live recording of Sweet Child that morphs into a studio re-recording with Axl's new band was another strange one for me. You never really hear the story behind it and it never gets mentioned in interviews. I feel like everybody asks the same tired questions to the band. If I ever get the chance to interview Axl I will pull out the tough questions lol. 

If you did it would be so refreshing. I'd love to hear the story behind that too. And in an Adam Sandler movie too ffs. Its strange. I saw on Twitter the Appetite for Distortion guys are trying to get Dave Navarro on to talk about Oh My God so hope that works out. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

If you did it would be so refreshing. I'd love to hear the story behind that too. And in an Adam Sandler movie too ffs. Its strange. I saw on Twitter the Appetite for Distortion guys are trying to get Dave Navarro on to talk about Oh My God so hope that works out. 

I knew Dave played on it, and I always wondered about the story behind that. There are a lot of guitarists that would have jumped at the chance to appear on a Guns N' Roses "comeback". I wonder why it ended up being Dave. Also, it's very eerie that My World was so industrial sounding and later on Oh My God appeared on End of Days soundtrack. If you look at every Guns album, you can see how the liner notes at the bottom foreshadowed the next future release. My world was the closing track of UYI 2 and I always wondered if the industrial sound was in Axl's master plan all along when he won the rights to the Guns name in court. I definitely would love to ask that question to Axl in an interview.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BringitBackhome348 said:

I knew Dave played on it, and I always wondered about the story behind that. There are a lot of guitarists that would have jumped at the chance to appear on a Guns N' Roses "comeback". I wonder why it ended up being Dave. Also, it's very eerie that My World was so industrial sounding and later on Oh My God appeared on End of Days soundtrack. If you look at every Guns album, you can see how the liner notes at the bottom foreshadowed the next future release. My world was the closing track of UYI 2 and I always wondered if the industrial sound was in Axl's master plan all along when he won the rights to the Guns name in court. I definitely would love to ask that question to Axl in an interview.

Eactly what I've always thought regarding the foreshadowing. Even Rocket Queen with its 2 parts is a hint at an epic of sorts for Illusion, My World for Chi Dem. 

I think Navarro was simply asked as Axl had originally wanted him when Izzy left in 91.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Eactly what I've always thought regarding the foreshadowing. Even Rocket Queen with its 2 parts is a hint at an epic of sorts for Illusion, My World for Chi Dem. 

I think Navarro was simply asked as Axl had originally wanted him when Izzy left in 91.

Overall I think Navarro worked out. The guitar work was good and despite the short lead/solo in it (I wish it could have been a full length solo) I think Navarro did a good job. I would have been happy to see the song appear on Democracy even if it was added as a bonus track. Navarro would have made a good permanent addition to the band standing in Slash's spot in my opinion based on what was done on Oh My God.

As was pointed out in other threads before this, the West Arkeen tracks were not intended as GNR songs.

Here's more info if you're interested :

'Going Down' is not a GNR song either, and has nothing to do with this topic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

As was pointed out in other threads before this, the West Arkeen tracks were not intended as GNR songs.

Here's more info if you're interested :

'Going Down' is not a GNR song either, and has nothing to do with this topic.

I think they mean Aint Going Down rather than Going Down. 

Navarro plays just the "solo" and maybe a few other licks on Oh My God? I've read him refer to it as a session, like any other studio musician situation.  And that he believed Axl called him in on short notice because he knew Navaro wouldn't need much direction and wouldn't over play.

The only way we'll ever hear those songs cleaned-up is on a deluxe edition of AFD or something. I don't believe they will ever go back to them. There's no reason to. They've grown as song writers. Axl would most likely ask them to add guitars to the dozens of CD songs he has stored up, before he would go back to those 30 year old songs.

18 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

I think they mean Aint Going Down rather than Going Down. 

Since he was talking about a 'leak', I don't think so ...

'Ain't Going Down' was officially released in 1994 on the GNR pinball machine.

21 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Going Down' is not a GNR song either, and has nothing to do with this topic.

It is a demo made by a band called Guns N' Roses. The same GNR that's currently on tour with only a couple of members switched. Therefore it is a GNR song whether you like it or not. 

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, Lies They Tell said:

It is a demo made by a band called Guns N' Roses. The same GNR that's currently on tour with only a couple of members switched. Therefore it is a GNR song whether you like it or not. 

No it's not. :facepalm:

I can like it.  I can dislike it.  Neither will make it GNR.

14 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

No it's not. :facepalm:

I can like it.  I can dislike it.  Neither will make it GNR.

It is though... It may not be the Guns N' Roses you love but it sure is GN'R.

You (and many others, me included at times) being of the opinion that GN'R from 97-14 was Axl's solo band does not change the fact that Going Down is a recording from a band called Guns N' Roses thus making it a Guns N' Roses song.

Does Going Down sound like a classic GN'R song? Hell no.

Is Going Down a GN'R song? Yes indeed, and in my opinion it's quite a good one as well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

It is though... It may not be the Guns N' Roses you love but it sure is GN'R.

You (and many others, me included at times) being of the opinion that GN'R from 97-14 was Axl's solo band does not change the fact that Going Down is a recording from a band called Guns N' Roses thus making it a Guns N' Roses song.

Does Going Down sound like a classic GN'R song? Hell no.

Is Going Down a GN'R song? Yes indeed, and in my opinion it's quite a good one as well.

Legally, anything Axl does under that name is GNR.

Only in name ...

On 17 June 2017 at 3:29 PM, Lies They Tell said:

I sort of remember someone confirming as GNR, in that the leak spoiled something. I think if Slash and Duff got hold of it they could whip it into shape. It's like Used to Love Her meets Don't Cry. 

57 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Legally, anything Axl does under that name is GNR.

Only in name ...

Exactly, the name is Guns N' Roses and thus Going Down, Oh My God, Sikworms and all of Chinese Democracy are Guns N' Roses songs.

They may not sound or feel like it, but they are...

4 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Exactly, the name is Guns N' Roses and thus Going Down, Oh My God, Sikworms and all of Chinese Democracy are Guns N' Roses songs.

They may not sound or feel like it, but they are...

Legally, you are correct.

Unfortunately...