The True Story Behind You Ain't the First

One of my favourite songs, it's the stripped back feel that doesn't seem finished, that I like.

Never found any good quality video of Izzy performing this and it's a shame we don't know more about it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Archtop said:

One of my favourite songs, it's the stripped back feel that doesn't seem finished, that I like.

Never found any good quality video of Izzy performing this and it's a shame we don't know more about it.

Same here, I love it. Very fun song ala User to Love Her. Great song that was more fun to listen to as a single guy!

• Like 1

very cool song, I think is one of hidden gems on UYI albums. it has that 'izzy' kind of vibe, it really gives you the feel of sitting in an old recording studio and just jammin' with band on acoustics and trying to capture all members in one take in magical ambient

One of the worst songs on the UYI albums, real filler track, embarrassing lyrics, something you write when you break up with your girlfriend when you're 15 years old, should have been a B-side at best. IN MY OPINION.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

One of the worst songs on the UYI albums, real filler track, embarrassing lyrics, something you write when you break up with your girlfriend when you're 15 years old, should have been a B-side at best. IN MY OPINION.

I enjoy it. Good change-of-pace on UYI. Have always loved GNR acoustic.

38 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I enjoy it. Good change-of-pace on UYI. Have always loved GNR acoustic.

I love GnR acoustic too, just not a silly song like this one... ''I'll be in with another, deep down inside''... Izzy the poet. But each to their own, of course. I do like ''used to love her'' and the lyrics are stupid too, but I just don't care much for the melody either, it's not just the childish lyrics that put me off. But it's cool if you enjoy it.

The choices Hoon made on the harmonies are spot on.  Very traditional, very authentic and to my ears; vulnerable.  

I wish Slash had of been inspired to do something more with his part, though the licks at the end are decent enough.

On 16/6/2017 at 0:31 PM, EvanG said:

Great description. 

This song is so boring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

I like it. Great Izzy tongue in cheek humour. I guess its not for everyone. Also GN'R's only song in waltz timing (3/3) as far as I know. 

For me it's a fun song to sing after a few beers when you're hanging with some mates and someone takes out the acoustic guitar and everyone sings along. A song to sing around the campfire on the beach, a kind of silly and dumb song about some ex girlfriend. I can appreciate it for that just fine, but why they felt the need to release it on an album is beyond me. 

On 6/15/2017 at 7:23 AM, sidman69 said:

Back with another episode of GNR True Story. This week I am looking at You Ain't the First

Amazing song, one of the great gnr deep cuts.  izzy is, was, always will be the beating heart and soul of gnr.  

i wonder if his bandmates sleep at night after selling him out over money?

i enjoy these docs.  thank you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

Amazing song, one of the great gnr deep cuts.  izzy is, was, always will be the beating heart and soul of gnr.  

i wonder if his bandmates sleep at night after selling him out over money?

i enjoy these docs.  thank you.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah i agree about izzy.