Huffpost article: "Axl Rose" performed at Bridge School Benefit 2012

I read an article on Huffpost about Neil Young no longer hosting the Bridge School Benefit after 30+ years and they listed some artists and bands who have played the benefit throughout the years, and on that list they had written Axl Rose instead of Guns N Roses. It might seem like a small detail, but I think in this day and age it is especially important for newspapers to try and be as clear and correct as possible so I sent them this suggestion for correcting the article:

It was actually Guns N Roses that performed and not Axl Rose as a solo artist. Perhaps a small detail, but slightly misleading and among the Guns N Roses community it is common for fans who were not a fan of the Chinese Democracy album or the line-ups between 1999-2014 to use the term Axl Rose solo band in a somewhat demeaning manner.

It will be interesting to see what their response (if any) will be. 

Here is a link to the article.

No matter what one thinks or feels about the 99-14 line-ups they were billed and performed as GNR at the brigde school benefit and I think that is what the article should reflect.  What are your thoughts about this? 

Edited by Thorbear
  • Like 1

You are correct.

But these days looking back, and I liked NuGuns, with Duff and Slash back in the band the 2002-2014 era feels, to me, like it really was just Axl doing solo shows with a backing band called Guns N' Roses. Didn't feel like that at the time.

So maybe the reporter felt the same? Though, like you said, it's incorrect.

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1

Its been Guns N' Roses since before Slash and then without Slash. Those lineups for the most part sucked, yes but they were still Guns N' Roses. They didn't reunite in 2016, Slash and Duff returned to the band Axl and Dizzy had been in since they left. Its just better now but still NOT a reunion, not without the involvement of Izzy Stradlin, Steven Adler and Matt Sorum anyway.  

They were always GN'R, just shittier lineups. Just like the different Pink Floyd lineups and the 3084847272948 Fleetwood Mac lineups. All Fleetwood Mac but not the preferred. 

Edited by Izzymacbeth

it was axl solo, he was solo surrounded by hired employees. Neil Young is a class act, no bullshit, he's got too much soul and credibility to refer to axl's solo catastrophe as "gnr".  outside of the twenty-five people on this forum who believe CD is gnr, axl's "band" was nothing more than entitlement from fancy lawyers and Team Yes.  I'm glad Neil young and the huff post got this right.  

Now that gnr is back (minus izzy/Steven) prepare yourself for the unraveling of axl's joke, no one bought it then and no one buys it now and NOW people aren't gonna be so shy about saying so, maybe even axl at some point will come clean.

Every time axl takes the stage with his two band mates, he further proves the weight of the failure that was his solo band he tried to sell us as gnr.  

dont hold your breath on that response.  

1. Who Cares, really?

2. They responded at the bottom of the article "CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story misspelled the surnames of Eddie Vedder and Tom Waits, and incorrectly implied that Axl Rose of Guns N’ Roses had performed at the benefit solo."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gnr5 said:

1. Who Cares, really?

2. They responded at the bottom of the article "CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story misspelled the surnames of Eddie Vedder and Tom Waits, and incorrectly implied that Axl Rose of Guns N’ Roses had performed at the benefit solo."

axl was solo, there were no other members of gnr on the stage that night.  when will axl and Team Yes stop the delusion that nobody is buying?  

I bet Fernando got right on this like a good little boy.  can't have the truth out there for too long.  No wonder axl hates trump... he sees himself.  

2 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

Now that gnr is back (minus izzy/Steven) prepare yourself for the unraveling of axl's joke, no one bought it then and no one buys it now and NOW

Totally. A year and a half long tour that's already grossed a quarter of a billion dollars is totally going to unravel any second. 

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

12 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Totally. A year and a half long tour that's already grossed a quarter of a billion dollars is totally going to unravel any second. 

but clearly I'm not talking about the Guns N' Roses NITL tour.  Im talking about the years axl and his lawyers and Stephanie seymours nanny sold a random group of hired musicians as Guns N' Roses and people/suckers actually believed it.  

Now that guns is playing together again I suspect and hope this goes on forever.  

10 minutes ago, Sunset Gardner said:

but clearly I'm not talking about the Guns N' Roses NITL tour.  Im talking about the years axl and his lawyers and Stephanie seymours nanny sold a random group of hired musicians as Guns N' Roses and people/suckers actually believed it.  

Now that guns is playing together again I suspect and hope this goes on forever.  

Everyone has their opinions, I guess. I don't see Slash and Duff leaving again though. They'll take breaks for Slash to do his solo stuff but if Slash or Duff leave it'll be when the band decides to put GNR to sleep for good. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thorbear said:

I read an article on Huffpost about Neil Young no longer hosting the Bridge School Benefit after 30+ years and they listed some artists and bands who have played the benefit throughout the years, and on that list they had written Axl Rose instead of Guns N Roses. It might seem like a small detail, but I think in this day and age it is especially important for newspapers to try and be as clear and correct as possible so I sent them this suggestion for correcting the article:

It will be interesting to see what their response (if any) will be. 

Here is a link to the article.

No matter what one thinks or feels about the 99-14 line-ups they were billed and performed as GNR at the brigde school benefit and I think that is what the article should reflect.  What are your thoughts about this? 

I read your post about the article on Huffpost stating that Axl Rose performed on the Bridge School Benefit instead of Guns N Roses.

It might seem like a small detail, but I think in this day and age it is especially important for newspapers to try and be as clear and correct as possible.

So I am thinking about sending them a box of chocolates for pointing correctly that Axl Rose performed on that thing instead of Guns N Roses.

It will be interesting to see if they like the chocolates.

No matter that Axl's solo band was billed and performed as "GNR" at the brigde school benefit, that was not GNR and will never be and its refreshing to see that thats exactly what the article reflected.

What are Axl thoughts about this?

Does he really believes he is GNR?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunset Gardner said:

I love CD, but I never believed it was "real" guns. Rather a group of musicians (Mainly Buckethead, Robin, and Axl) that couldve made something good if they actually wrote together as a unit, and not seperate as it was, with Axl himself being hardly present ever for anything. Axl should've released his pieced together record (CD), and then move on to organically write with the entire band.

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

If Neil is not involved anymore I imagine it has something to do with him cheating on his wife Pegi and shacking up with Daryl Hannah. It is really Pegi Young who runs the whole Bridge School Benefit. I'm a massive Rusty and I'm not going to even begin to try and defend his actions by the way.

• Like 2