Do you feel cheated as a ticket buyer knowing Axl isn't giving it his all for GNR shows?

TheSeeker

Do you feel cheated as a ticket buyer knowing Axl isn't giving it his all for GNR shows?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Axl is clearly unmotivated while performing with GNR. If he's beholden to something (trying to best Velvet Revolver in 2006-2007, trying to sell NewGNR on his own without proper management in 2009-2010, working as a hired hand for AC/DC in 2016)  he puts in the effort. But now he's coasting again, which doesn't bode well for the future of GNR.

Would you feel cheated if Axl consciously refused to sing to the best of his ability after you paid good money to see him perform? 

Edited by TheSeeker
grammar

I'm not a concert goer so I'm not a great judge. It always seems like Axl is trying most of the time. I would understand if somewhere in the 4 hour show, date 337 he wasn't completely into a song or two. 

If anything the the unpredictable nature of the CD tracks they play is the only thing discourging me to travel. I'd go if they came to town though. 

I just don't see how anyone who was even a casual fan of this band could go to one of these shows ONCE and not have a fucking ball.  Axl performed like a motherfucker the night I saw him, and Slash and Duff were on fucking fire.

Slash especially.  Jesus, he needs to be witnessed in the flesh.

(multiple shows are not necessary since it's the same every night...but that's a whole different topic.)

• Like 4

I'm not a concert goer so I'm not a great judge. It always seems like Axl is trying most of the time. I would understand if somewhere in the 4 hour show, date 337 he wasn't completely into a song or two. 

If anything the the unpredictable nature of the CD tracks they play is the only thing discourging me to travel. I'd go if they came to town though. 

I think it depends of what people hope to see. If someone buys a ticket just to see Axl and Slash together performing WTTJ, SCOM and NR. That person gets that so I don't think nobody will feel chated.

But if someone buys a ticket hoping to see Indiana 91 show again. Well in that case that someone may end up being disappointed

Not entirely Axl's fault. I don't think Slash is giving it all for example. He looks very bored. Primarily I think the current line-up isn't very great, the setlist kinda sucks. I don't want to see a band going through the motions, a band that keep ignoring Adler and Izzy, avoiding interviews, a band that don't release new stuff.

So as a fan, I already feel raped. Why should a buy a ticket?

• Like 2

Not at all. Had a hell of a time in Chicago last year when I saw them. I'll have a hell of a time when I see them three more times this year. Plus, GN'R songs are way harder to sing than AC/DC songs. He sang like a motherfucker back in the day and won't get back to that level again.

44 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Slash especially.  Jesus, he needs to be witnessed in the flesh.

For sure. It's one thing to see him jumping off of the drum riser in the videos but it's a whole other thing to see him do it in person without missing a note.

• Like 1

Leaving this topic open as many times we get accused of shutting things like this for one reason or another.  Even though the title alone is an obvious trolling attempt. Everyone please try to keep it as civil as possible. We know there are passionate people on both sides of this argument, so it's easy for things to get out of hand. Just do your best to respect each other when discussing the topic and we won't have any problem.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Padme said:

I think it depends of what people hope to see. If someone buys a ticket just to see Axl and Slash together performing WTTJ, SCOM and NR. That person gets that so I don't think nobody will feel chated.

But if someone buys a ticket hoping to see Indiana 91 show again. Well in that case that someone may end up being disappointed

I've seen the show and nu GNR and I'm not delusional contarary to popular opinion. I'm ready to be disappointed. Axl was the last hope for rock and the mountain was too steep. So Guns are the new touring Stones act. There's no shame it that. I saw Stones on Bridges to Babylon tour, my first Stones show, it was awesome. Opening with Not Fade Away, this dragon thing stinged my eyebrows, it was cool because they finished with Brown Sugar, Street fighting man, Sympthy. Always wonder what GNR set woud be like ending with Nightrain, Easy, Brown, Jungle.

He isn't coasting. He is exactly as he was all those years ago. Hit and miss. The difference is all those years ago was that he was much younger and he didn't really have full control of his voice and he used a gravel voice for everything with zero cleans (and there are clean moments on AFD)

I love rasp just like any gnr fan, but does a show without rasp mean a shit show? No. If he sings clean with no power for a full gig, that's shit - then I feel cheated. If he sings clean, adds rasp here and there and sings with power I personally think that's a good show. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Look at yourself.

it seems you enjoy making personal insults to anyone that doesn't act like a complete fanboy. So you're resorting to ad personam. I'm sorry if everyday you feel offended about honest and distinctive comment from longtime fans, but overeacting is poor taste and extremely childish.

I don't spend much time on youtube watching GnR videos as each show are becoming way too conventional. Heck I don't even bother collecting bootlegs anymore. It's sometimes too disappointing to watch. I understand they want to make a big buck out of it and they need Live Nation and all that, but maybe after this leg in Europe, there will be some change, and I'll be happier but right now it's been a poor year as a fan.

Dont flatter yourself. Trolls like you don't offend me. I just find it hilarious that you constantly try to make judgments that you couldn't possible be serious about, unless you're just here to troll or live in an absolute fantasy world. I think for you both apply. You can say slash looks bored as much as you want, but its just ridiculous and has nothing to do with honesty or whatever the fuck. 

1 minute ago, xBrownstonex said:

Dont flatter yourself. Trolls like you don't offend me. I just find it hilarious that you constantly try to make judgments that you couldn't possible be serious about, unless you're just here to troll or live in an absolute fantasy world. I think for you both apply. You can say slash looks bored as much as you want, but its just ridiculous and has nothing to do with honesty or whatever the fuck. 

It seems like a word like 'troll' will always come out from one troll's mouth.

This forum allows you to ignore posts from actual members of this forum, so if you find contents like 'Slash looks very bored to me' too sensitive to your liking, you can always click in that button.

At this point, I don't want to derail any further this thread, you can pm me if you want to.

• Like 2

Not gonna vote because the options are loaded.

After reading many topics here over the past months and years, I was a little anxious about going to see them again especially as I was going with three friends that only really remember the band from the early 90s.

However, when you're there in person 50 feet away from the band you can honestly say that in no way is this being phoned in.

Axl is putting his all into everything and looks to be enjoying it at the same time. We were exhausted just watching Coma, imagine what it's like to sing it. And then do it all again the day after 

They play for THREE fucking hours, they are in their mid-fifties and they are as professional now as they ever have been.

My friend that came with me on Friday hated GnR with a passion back in the day and by his own admission only came to the gig out of intrigue and for a few days away. He left saying that it was the best gig he had ever been to.

People need to see this band for what it is in person and not hope to get the 1991 most dangerous band in the world any more - they've grown up (along with the rest of us)

• Like 3

I saw GNR  three time to this date (2006 Warsaw, 2010 Prague and 2012 Rybnik). And since the first show there was a downward spiral, in 2006 I was stunned. They sounded and looked like they gives everything, Axl had contact with audience etc.

2010 was different, Axl still sound great, band was a litlle bit weaker and more bored. But it was still nice experience.

2012 was big let down, it was just boring show, with Axl and band go through the motions. Axl looked and behaved like he didn't want to be there and just want to finished show. I was felled rip off.

And when I'm watching youtube from recent show, it's the same.

So this time I don't even think about going to this show. There is nothing new, same songs just different guitar player. It's not enough for me.

• Like 1

My opinion... I don't believe he's not trying, in fact i see more effort and passion in axl than I've ever seen at any point with his employee lineups.  I think he's shown effort to sound better, to lose weight, to be on time and engage each song and show.  I see a reinvigorated man when he stands side by side with his two real band mates.  

i usually have plenty to say about axl but feel I must stick up for him here.  it's not that he's not trying it's that he's older now, his prime wasted to poor management and ego and THIS IS WHAT'S LEFT of the man.  

would love to see more shows, a new record and axl create a solid last chapter for guns (with izzy & Steven/Matt).

and if there's one thing selfishly I'd want, it'd be an interview.  a real one. 

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 1

First off, I hardly think Axl can be accused of "phoning it in. He seems a lot more passionate about performing than a lot of other musicians in "legacy acts." One of my best friends saw U2 and said once the thrill of seeing the band perform Joshua Tree wore off, it really became clear how stilted the band felt. I never felt that way when I saw Guns N' Roses in 2016. 

Prior to the 2016 show, the last GN'R show I attended was Atlanta in 2011; a show I would give a solid B+ or A- (the point being it was a great show), and the 2016 show absolutely blew it out of the water. Seeing the band play "Coma" and "Double Talkin' Jive" made the price of admission alone/