70's AEROSMITH

tim10101

OH MY GOD how have I missed those first few Aerosmith albums??? At times it reminds me a lot of GNR if they had been a 70s band.

Absolutely awesome stuff. Must admit those 80s hits of theirs I find cheesy as shit but this stuff is genuine hard rock classics.

Many other fans of the 70s period for the band?? :)

• Like 4

Their first five albums are all the Aerosmith I need and want. I might like a song or two on  later records but they're nowhere close to the 73-77 albums quality wise. Magnificent 5 year period  that was, among the best of any band ever. 

I like bits of all Aerosmith era's, but the first album, Rocks and Toys In The Attic are all awesome. I have them all on vinyl and the best songs all sound like shit from overplaying. Especially 'Rats In The Cellar' :lol:

Rocks is my favourite of their 70's albums. But on a side-note, Nine Lives is their last great album.

• Like 2

They were my favorite band until GnR came along. I've mentioned in other threads before that the old red & white Greatest Hits album (of all 70s songs) was one of the albums that changed my life around age 13... it was something like in the movie Dazed n Confused when the older kids let the young kid start hanging with them. That album was always playing. Still one of my top 5 favorite bands, even though I don't think I've liked a new song they put out in at least 20 years...

• Like 3

Been a Aerosmith fan since the beginning and was lucky enough to have seen them several times in the 70's...best show was in August of 1975 at the Schaefer Music Fest in the Wollman Ice Skating Rink in Central Park, NYC with Ted Nugent opening right around the time he released his first solo album. Great show and Uncle Ted almost stole their thunder but Aerosmith delivered that night under the stars in NYC........it was  also broadcast live on the legendary NYC rock station WNEW (RIP). Also saw them in 76, 77 and 78 but the 75 show was the best as they were not as doped up like the later 70's shows.........

Wolfgangs Vault has the complete show and there are excellent boots out there of it but here is a small sample........

here is the earliest known live recording of the boys that was broadcast on the defunct legendary Boston Rock station WBCN (RIP)...amazing recording

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, drbunnig said:

First five albums are golden. Get Your Wings is my top pick, Draw the Line runner up.

If you like the Get Your Wings album here is another great early radio show in Detroit from 1974 which has a lot of GYW songs..........the show included early Kiss on the bill....what a show that must have been

On 20 June 2017 at 8:40 AM, Fitha_whiskey said:

They were my favorite band until GnR came along. I've mentioned in other threads before that the old red & white Greatest Hits album (of all 70s songs) was one of the albums that changed my life around age 13... it was something like in the movie Dazed n Confused when the older kids let the young kid start hanging with them. That album was always playing. Still one of my top 5 favorite bands, even though I don't think I've liked a new song they put out in at least 20 years...

I got Aerosmith Greatest hits ...Live, I thought Same Old Song and Dance was an important song. 

On 19/06/2017 at 3:09 PM, tim10101 said:

maybe one of hard rocks n metals greatest. my god ...

:lol: Yeah, it's not bad is it?

The first four are amazing. 'Rocks', er.... Rocks! (tends to be most people's favourite)

'Pump' is up there with anything they did in the 70's as well imo.

11 hours ago, J Dog said:

I'd call Dream On and Seasons of Wither important ones too.

Dream on is a big hit? Seasons of Wither is a classic, like one of the 3 songs on Draw the line. But as I remember Same old song and dance was on Perry solo or something, or Aerosmith without Perry? It's like Better or something. 

2 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I can't go that far, but I like those 2 albums a lot. Pump is the last thing I liked really...

Get a Grip was still Fairburn I think. 9 Lives is underated but then I lost interest. Just Push Play was alright. Honkin' on Bobo was where they lost me, but it's after they stole my identity and hacked the election. 

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

Get a Grip was still Fairburn I think. 9 Lives is underated but then I lost interest. Just Push Play was alright. Honkin' on Bobo was where they lost me, but it's after they stole my identity and hacked the election. 

Yeah Get a Grip was decent...

With a title like Honkin on Bobo, you know it's over...

12 hours ago, wasted said:

Dream on is a big hit? Seasons of Wither is a classic, like one of the 3 songs on Draw the line. But as I remember Same old song and dance was on Perry solo or something, or Aerosmith without Perry? It's like Better or something. 

I don't know how big Dream On is honestly. It used to get played every now and then on the radio, I'd assume it's on their greatest hits? It felt special when I saw them live. Personally I'd call it great.

Same Old Song and Dance and Back in the Saddle, that's a couple of tunes right there.

• Like 1