70's AEROSMITH

tim10101

10 hours ago, J Dog said:

I don't know how big Dream On is honestly. It used to get played every now and then on the radio, I'd assume it's on their greatest hits? It felt special when I saw them live. Personally I'd call it great.

Same Old Song and Dance and Back in the Saddle, that's a couple of tunes right there.

What album was Same old song and dance on? Was it a single, I heard it on GH Live 2 or something. 

19 minutes ago, wasted said:

What album was Same old song and dance on? Was it a single, I heard it on GH Live 2 or something. 

It was on 'Get Your Wings' in 1974

I love 70s Aerosmith. I think that most of their albums sounded the same after 1987 when they came back. There's a few good songs but it doesn't hold a candle to their 70s stuff

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

43 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

It was on 'Get Your Wings' in 1974

I love 70s Aerosmith. I think that most of their albums sounded the same after 1987 when they came back. There's a few good songs but it doesn't hold a candle to their 70s stuff

I think I've got the wrong song. After checking though I just think GH Live was my first old Arrosmith album after Pump so it was Walk this Way, Saddle, Draw the Line, Dream on that suck out more and I saw Same old as not as big. Maybe like now if Guns had a Best of My Michelle might not be immeadiate as Jungle or Sweet Child. 

Edited by wasted

13 hours ago, J Dog said:

I don't know how big Dream On is honestly. It used to get played every now and then on the radio, I'd assume it's on their greatest hits? It felt special when I saw them live. Personally I'd call it great.

Same Old Song and Dance and Back in the Saddle, that's a couple of tunes right there.

Dream On was big in the mid 70's after it was rereleased in 76

The first 2 albums initially  flopped and the band was in danger of losing their record contract. Dream on was rereleased in 76 and took off peaking at #6 which finally helped finally  break the band big along with the Toys album....

Edited by classicrawker

3 hours ago, wasted said:

Don't think Same Song and Dance was on Big Ones and that cd defined my life for a while. 

Finally, I have it, Let the Music Do the Talkin' is a song that I thought was big. 

That was a Joe Perry Project song that Joe wrote for his solo band after he left Aerosmith..........Steven wrote new lyics for and it was then recorded for Aerosmith's  comeback album "Done with Mirrors" It was released as a single and peaked at #18...Great song and there is a great version from their 1994 Mama Kins gig...Here is the complete show and IMHO it is one of the best Aerosmith gigs post comeback............

Aerosmith opened a rock club across the street from Fenway Park in the mid 90's that held about 600 peole and played a show there which was broadcast on legenday but defunct Boston rock station WBCN I beleive...I went there but could not get tickets but the bars int he are were rockin so we partied in a local bar.........

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

That was a Joe Perry Project song that Joe wrote for his solo band after he left Aerosmith..........Steven wrote new lyics for and it was then recorded for Aerosmith's  comeback album "Done with Mirrors" It was released as a single and peaked at #18...Great song and there is a great version from their 1994 Mama Kins gig...Here is the complete show and IMHO it is one of the best Aerosmith gigs post comeback............

Aerosmith opened a rock club across the street from Fenway Park in the mid 90's that held about 600 peole and played a show there which was broadcast on legenday but defunct Boston rock station WBCN I beleive...I went there but could not get tickets but the bars int he are were rockin so we partied in a local bar.........

I went to that club in the mid 90s when I went to Fenway for a Yankee/ Sox game. Right near the Cask n Flagon, if I recall?

Yeah- Let the Music was the reunion single- hear that Axl?

This was the best know song when Joe was gone. Maybe wasted is thinking of this? It's kind of forgotten and not that popular since no Joe, but I fuckin love this tune...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wasted said:

Maybe like now if Guns had a Best of My Michelle might not be immeadiate as Jungle or Sweet Child. 

They got a lot of songs like that, same way My Michelle and Brownstone are best of Guns.

Their production had a certain feel too. Kinda low key and more raw than their later stuff.

9 hours ago, classicrawker said:

That's cool, I wish I could have gone to the shows where Tyler was falling off the stage. 

This explains how I must have heard it on a Bestof and thought it was like a signature track. But it's more a b road. But still no 18 is alright. 

8 hours ago, J Dog said:

They got a lot of songs like that, same way My Michelle and Brownstone are best of Guns.

Their production had a certain feel too. Kinda low key and more raw than their later stuff.

Both bands could do a Secret history type best of. No singles or hits or even classics, and it still would be a great cd. 

29 minutes ago, wasted said:

Both bands could do a Secret history type best of. No singles or hits or even classics, and it still would be a great cd. 

For sure. I've thought about what needed to go on a Guns one before. Aerosmith would be good as hell too. Round and Round is a nice track.

Edited by J Dog

8 minutes ago, J Dog said:

For sure. I've thought about what needed to go on a Guns one before. Aerosmith would be good as hell too. Round and Round is a nice track.

even some of the later albums have depth like Hoodoo/Voodoo Medicine Man off Pump. 

The trio of ballads on Get a Grip were epic. That high note at the end of Crazy is incredible!

I know Aerosmith get a hard time for their 80s/90s ballads, but for the most part, they are brilliant songs. The only one I'm really not fussed on, strangely enough, is I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

The trio of ballads on Get a Grip were epic. That high note at the end of Crazy is incredible!

I know Aerosmith get a hard time for their 80s/90s ballads, but for the most part, they are brilliant songs. The only one I'm really not fussed on, strangely enough, is I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing.

the ballads brought the band a new generation of fans IMHO.......my wife and I saw them a while back and it was interesting to see the older fans get into the classic 70's songs while the gen x'ers just stood there or left for a beer break... the opposite happened when the newer ballads were played as the older fans headed for the beer line and the 20- 30 year olds sang along.....

I am not a big fan of the ballads but do like the post 1985 albums and songs like Monkey on My Back, Dude Looks Like a Lady, Love in an Elevator, Hangmans Jury etc....

Some great music on those Geffen era albums and I saw some great shows in the 80's and 90's from a sober Aerosmith.......

I've seen from their set lists that they've been breaking this one out again on occasion. This is when they're at their best- just jamming on something they love to play. I watch this and think back to the greatest concert of my life- Appetite GnR opening for them on this tour. I saw this tour 3 times in 87-88, when I was 16/17... fuckin a those were great times...

Yeah I saw them twice in Mansfield  in 1988 with Guns opening but Axl's voice was shot and he was croaking when he sang.......still great shows and Aerosmith was playing well back then as they were sober and not so many ballads yet...........

Edited by classicrawker

6 hours ago, Towelie said:

Agreed totally. GAG is my favorite Aero album. Edge is amazing, so is Fever.

That said, Im a fan of all their eras. 70s Aerosmith- No More No More is my favorite, Big Ten Inch, Train, Mama Kin... just so many.