Last "raspy" November Rain

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Sure wasnt bad. Watching that vid from 2010 yes his voice was much better..but everything else was worse. DJ Ashba instead of Slash, butchered solos, an awful line up overall. And the awful moustache was there. I don't think many people realize how lucky we are that it's gone, it could come back anytime!:lol:

If I had to choose I'd pick seeing a 2017 show over a 2010 one.

I was just talking about that COMA at the 2:00 mark they were pointing out from the London show... Sounded cool to me.. There are parts of the song I think he struggles with but that was fine.. Overall I think Axl has been "good enough" to make it work with this line up.  Mind blowing sometimes and other times not so much, but still good enough to make it all work.  The music behind him could be and should be a lot better...  The better they are the less weight on his shoulders..  Slash's too..... They could both benefit from a better backing band..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bc rich said:

Since when was November Rain "raspy" on the record?????? It wasn't!

it sure ain't Mickey either.

it doesn't have to be all screaming to be raspy. and that's exactly what Axl can't do anymore. that raspy mid-range singing voice that was, honestly, fucking awesome.

NR nowadays is hilariously bad with the whiny Mickey helium voice.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, maynard said:

it doesn't have to be all screaming to be raspy. and that's exactly what Axl can't do anymore. that raspy mid-range singing voice that was, honestly, fucking awesome.

Coachella pro shot November Rain was good and that was sang clean.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Coachella pro shot November Rain was good and that was sang clean.

If it was clean then it wasn't good. Not for me, at least. Axl's clean voice sounds bad to me.

Just compare any 2010 performance with 2011-current. It's like a completely different person. And the current person sounds amateur-ish.

1 minute ago, maynard said:

If it was clean then it wasn't good. Not for me, at least. Axl's clean voice sounds bad to me.

Just compare any 2010 performance with 2011-current. It's like a completely different person. And the current person sounds amateur-ish.

This was 2010 and it sounds no different to any performance since. 

15 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

For some reason the reading Leeds was a weaker 2010 show.  Everything before and after were solid.

Haha! It's because it was pro shot. Trolling everyone with his tradition of performing bad when it matters most.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexC said:

Haha! It's because it was pro shot. Trolling everyone with his tradition of performing bad when it matters most.

Also doesn't help that it was the first (or second?) show he'd played in about 2 months, except a one-off at the Sturgis bike rally. We all know how much he loves to rehearse while off tour :lol:

On topic, I think the one I posted earlier from Arnhem might be the last. But this is how November Rain should sound today! He sings with a clean voice that's actually enjoyable, and adds rasp throughout. From one the last shows on the Euro tour (for real this time :lol:)

27 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Also doesn't help that it was the first (or second?) show he'd played in about 2 months, except a one-off at the Sturgis bike rally. We all know how much he loves to rehearse while off tour :lol:

On topic, I think the one I posted earlier from Arnhem might be the last. But this is how November Rain should sound today! He sings with a clean voice that's actually enjoyable, and adds rasp throughout. From one the last shows on the Euro tour (for real this time :lol:)

I actually love it full rasp. Maybe not an aggressive one, but still.

9 hours ago, maynard said:

BS...raspy midvoice intact...ability to sing GNR songs= way off 

• Like 4

There should be a "The Axl Rose voice thread" 

Would be interesting if someone would ask Axl what the difference is in singing ACDC vs GN'R songs. and if it takes a toll on him to sing with rasp more often. And how he take care of his voice on/off tour etc.

Voice/singing teqnuiqe (Spelling?)  is an interesting subject IMO.

Slash and the rest are talking about their instruments I think it would be interesting to hear Axl talk about his "instrument" sometime. (hmm that sounded a bit weird, but you know what I mean lol)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, estranged_85 said:

There should be a "The Axl Rose voice thread" 

Would be interesting if someone would ask Axl what the difference is in singing ACDC vs GN'R songs. and if it takes a toll on him to sing with rasp more often. And how he take care of his voice on/off tour etc.

Voice/singing teqnuiqe (Spelling?)  is an interesting subject IMO.

Slash and the rest are talking about their instruments I think it would be interesting to hear Axl talk about his "instrument" sometime. (hmm that sounded a bit weird, but you know what I mean lol)

he answered 1 of those at 12:42 here. He's asked "what do you do to keep your voice in shape and how has it changed in the last 10 years?"

He has no problem with doing rasp if he wants. Probably he choose to sing like he does to save it from damage.

Im pretty sure it would destroy his voice to do Thunderstruck-like singing for several years. The way he does it now makes it possible for him to perform for many more years if he wants to. And I think he does the clean vocals much better now than before.

I think all the four gigs I've seen so far on this tour has been from very good to extremly good.

The show in Gdansk is probably the best concert I ever seen so far - I probably seen Axl better back in 2006 and 10, and in Axl/Dc last year, but performances like he does now is more than good enough for me.

Still got Copenhagen, Stockholm, Wiena and the two LA shows to come this year and Im excited as hell about it :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

BS...raspy midvoice intact...ability to sing GNR songs= way off 

Shit song but Axl makes it a lot better. Same with Rock or Bust, his vocals elevate it to another level.

19 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Unfortunately there's only a couple short clips on youtube from the show I saw in 2010 but he sang it with the full deep raspy voice. Something like this is ideal, IMO:

This is MEAN. Killer performance, maybe too much rasp but it sounds strong as fuck.

17 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

last time he sang it correctly was 2006

One of my favourite shows ever. LA 2006 :drool:

• Like 1

On 20/06/2017 at 2:44 PM, Tom-Ass said:

That didn't sound bad to me. Am I missing something? It's live.. Better than Mickey

That scream was totally out of control and even had a crack in the so he suddenly stopped (he probably realised)

My point is, the out of tune and no control screams + voice cracks are much more common now, and it all started during the ac/dc gig (If you really wanna hear those, just listen to any "High Voltage" and jump to the part after he interacts with the crowd

I mean, yeah, it might be better than mickey, but everytime that happens i can't help but think "wth was that?"

4:52

Edited by rendestroi95