Last "raspy" November Rain

On 6/20/2017 at 0:27 AM, rendestroi95 said:

I don't believe that anymore... the ACDC gig ended his voice. Everytime he even tries a higher note with rasp, this strange shit happens

2:00

the one thing that i cant really understand about axl on this nonsense tour

is how he keeps losing / changing the time of some melody lines and singing completely out of tempo

1m14s

Edited by ludurigan

1 hour ago, rendestroi95 said:

That scream was totally out of control and even had a crack in the so he suddenly stopped (he probably realised)

My point is, the out of tune and no control screams + voice cracks are much more common now, and it all started during the ac/dc gig (If you really wanna hear those, just listen to any "High Voltage" and jump to the part after he interacts with the crowd

I mean, yeah, it might be better than mickey, but everytime that happens i can't help but think "wth was that?"

4:52

No that's just how Axl screams...Bach talked about it before. He said Axl screaming and Axl hitting high notes is the same thing. He's never seen anything like it before. 

He sang High Voltage beautifully on the whole tour, nothing he is doing is damaging. He's very much in control of the song and that scream is simply him letting the roof off 

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

No that's just how Axl screams...Bach talked about it before. He said Axl screaming and Axl hitting high notes is the same thing. He's never seen anything like it before. 

He sang High Voltage beautifully on the whole tour, nothing he is doing is damaging. He's very much in control of the song and that scream is simply him letting the roof off 

Of course he's in control of almost the entire song, but his voice clearly crack on some spots, and it all started when he was with acdc... that's just one video, it also happens during thunder, back in black, hells bells and some other GNR songs, and i personally never heard that before the acdc gig

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rendestroi95 said:

Of course he's in control of almost the entire song, but his voice clearly crack on some spots, and it all started when he was with acdc... that's just one video, it also happens during thunder, back in black, hells bells and some other GNR songs, and i personally never heard that before the acdc gig

Doesn't mean it's damaging and it didn't happen at every show. It's simply a matter of the note getting away from him. When you're singing that high and with power it's pretty much inevitable occasionally. Nothing dangerous about it at all. If it was there's no way he would've been able to complete a 13 show leg and a 10 show leg sounding that consistently good. Not to mention the GN'R NA leg was sandwiched in between them and he sounded strong on that too.

Edited by AlexC

I don't think Axl's voice has been damaged any further than it already had from touring, I think he needs to learn how to sing the songs with his current voice, instead of just mumbling his way through a lot of the songs. 

22 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I don't think Axl's voice has been damaged any further than it already had from touring, I think he needs to learn how to sing the songs with his current voice, instead of just mumbling his way through a lot of the songs. 

I think it's because he's using the rasp less, so he lost a lil bit of control on it. 

2 minutes ago, DMathski said:

I think he needs to go back to Ron Anderson for more vocal training 

Definitely. He needs to learn how to sing those songs again, clearly. He trained for ACDC and nailed it every time. 

On 23/6/2017 at 1:53 AM, rendestroi95 said:

i agree with you on that songs and specially on "for those about to rock" when he sings Twenty-one gun salute, he cracks everytime....

and in my opinion, that could be a reason he doesn't play TWAT more often, because of that cracks when he goes that high...

On 6/23/2017 at 0:15 PM, AlexC said:

Doesn't mean it's damaging and it didn't happen at every show. It's simply a matter of the note getting away from him. When you're singing that high and with power it's pretty much inevitable occasionally. Nothing dangerous about it at all. If it was there's no way he would've been able to complete a 13 show leg and a 10 show leg sounding that consistently good. Not to mention the GN'R NA leg was sandwiched in between them and he sounded strong on that too.

Yeah it did get away from him, I think the best way I think of it is he has a frog in his throat. It never used to happen during 06/07, happened occasionally in 2010, happened LOADS at the start of 2011 tour (Rock in Rio is littered with that sound). 

I think the plain facts that are staring us all in the face is the blokes voice has been damaged somewhat and it PROBABLY does stem from the 2nd leg of the ACDC tour (his vocal tone was deeper also after the 1st stint and also got more noticeable at the back of the NA tour with GnR) .

EVer since that 2nd leg of ACDC his voice hasn't been anywhere near upto the standards it was and his tonality and airyness has kind of gone back to the 12-13 era. He still gives it his all I think but the voice just gives out. He also puts NO deeper power into it, almost like he is afraid to push it too hard in case it does crack.

On 6/22/2017 at 4:27 AM, IncitingChaos said:

BS...raspy midvoice intact...ability to sing GNR songs= way off 

To be fair, his mid voice was pretty good in the first 7 shows with GnR as well, it sounded much more rested than it had at any point since probably 2010.

2 hours ago, koldweather said:

To be fair, his mid voice was pretty good in the first 7 shows with GnR as well, it sounded much more rested than it had at any point since probably 2010.

Yea I mean he was ok at Coachella but definitely not AC/DC level

by the way if anyone has the proshot of this could they post it!? Thanks in advance  

It perplexes me how often he flip flops on his vocal ability. Do we think it's just a case of laziness/not practicing or is there genuinely issues with his voice? He sounded awful in 2001 only to be much better years later. 

13 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

It perplexes me how often he flip flops on his vocal ability. Do we think it's just a case of laziness/not practicing or is there genuinely issues with his voice? He sounded awful in 2001 only to be much better years later. 

The song I find him to get lazy on is LALD...I'm not talking about the screams. 

Idk that I'd even call it lazy. His vocals just aren't as good...but it's a thin line between great and bad on this song. 

vegas he kills it..pumped to be back

London his cleaner vocals are too weak and it brings the song back to that 11-14 era. Like at 1:15 when he holds the note on hell its weak 

back to Detroit and it's a killer performance. That He'll note is rounded out to rasp properly and his clean voice has power. This song shouldn't be difficult for Axl to sing he just gets off a bit here and there.

and that might be @koldweather point that he was more rested during the earlier shows and so that mid voice was more full than it has been lately 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I think "lazyness" is harsh. It's probably a bit of both, it's unquestionable that his abilities are diminished since 2010. On the other hand, I'm sure he does put work in, but to be at his best at his currently age probably means putting massive amounts of vocal work in everyday. I think he did it last year, because of AC/DC, but isn't doing it anymore this year.

I think Axl at this age is akin to let's say, a 37 year old athlete. He shows up to practice and does the required workload, but that simply doesn't cut it anymore if elite performances are what he's after. Perfoming at his current best probably requires a ridiculous work ethic, Lebron James or Cristiano Ronaldo-like, and I'd bet Axl falls short of that.

2 hours ago, koldweather said:

@5:30 that song rock thunder again...much later in the tour, but now his voice for this song has evolved to even more rasp. I'd say it's much more technique driven and for a song like November Rain I would think Axl could pull it off much better in this vocal register. It really should be an easy song for him to sing like this 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, crashoride said:

This year there is no rasp from Axl. I don't think he sounds that good. Seems like the faster pace is throwing him off as well.

Agree on the faster pace.  It just throws the whole natural groove songs off in general and I think it has thrown Slash off at times as well.. They seemed to have adjusted a couple songs since those April 16 was which was good.. Axl also seems to have rasp when he needs it  but just not enough. As good as I thought that November Rain was that I just posted, I clicked on the last Out Ta Get Me they played and it was the worst I heard of the tour and that is one that Axl has consistently nailed since the reunion. I imagine it is hard to go out and wail like a banshee every night. Axl needs to be 100% into it to make that happen and that is probably tough to do on a nightly basis. That said, for the ticket prices he should force himself haha..  The shows are fun when you are there but this band has a lot of flaws and it affects the music.. As always, if this was closer to one of the classic line ups or if the band was tight as hell there would be less pressure on Axl..