Last "raspy" November Rain

First of all, I apologize if the topic isn't meant to be here.

Last night I was talking with a friend about November Rain and how much it has changed live, vocally speaking.

We were trying to figure out when was the last tour where Axl used his rasp on it, so I said Bucharest 2010. Do you guys remember a more recent video?

• Like 3

There really hasn't been anything since that he's really made a conscious effort to sing it differently. 

2014 they played La Paz and had to slow it down so Frank wouldn't wear out and it sounded better musically but Axl didn't really improve on anything but the first few lines. 

36 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Bucharest was in the middle of the Euro tour, this was near the end so I'll say St. Ptersburg (first one that came to mind, there might be a later one)

Reveal hidden contents

Despite poor video quality, Axl still sounds good. Crazy how that works, eh?

:ph34r:

Bucharest was at the end, September 21st :lol:

21 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Philly '12 was the last time I can think of.

The whole show was godly.

_

1:43 :axl:

Thanks man! Thought this was in 2011, that's why I couldn't find anything.
I agree, Philly was sensational. They should have made a dvd of that, instead of that mediocre Vegas.

Is there a bootleg around of this show?

Edited by Torb

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

No, Bucharest was in September 2010... The show in London with Duff was in mid-October even. Russia was late October.

On the video you posted there's written 2010.06.06

3 minutes ago, Torb said:

On the video you posted there's written 2010.06.06

Ha :lol: Totally confused it with the last Russia show, in late October. Just went from the top of my head and went 'yea, that was a good one from near the end of the tour' :lol: I'll see if I can find the other one I'm thinking of then - he'd switched it up but Australia/Abu Dhabi but I'm pretty sure he was raspy on NR til the end of the Euro tour.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Torb said:

Bucharest was at the end, September 21st :lol:

Thanks man! Thought this was in 2011, that's why I couldn't find anything.
I agree, Philly was sensational. They should have made a dvd of that, instead of that mediocre Vegas.

The Up Close and Personal tour started feb.2012 and there's already a pro-shot from this tour, that was in Chicago.

Wereveryou look at it, the Vegas DVD is GnR most elaborate spectacle yet. Sure this was  not the best performance from Axl during the residency, not to mention Izzy could have been there.

• Like 1

The last time he sounded like Axl Rose was 1993.   Vegas 2016-current he's still trying to climb out from the debacle that was ('95ish-2015).....gonna take some time and "Patience".   He's so used to performing down to the level of the band (again '95-2015).   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torb said:

Last night I was talking with a friend about November Rain and how much it has changed live, vocally speaking.

We were trying to figure out when was the last tour where Axl used his rasp on it, so I said Bucharest 2010. Do you guys remember a more recent video?

I don't see any reason why he can't sing like this today. I don't believe he lost this voice. I think the 2010 Axl is still there, he just refuses to sing well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rendestroi95 said:

I don't believe that anymore... the ACDC gig ended his voice. Everytime he even tries a higher note with rasp, this strange shit happens

2:00

Just to hear this hurt my throat lol but im sure that he can sing with some raspy sometimes but yeah that sound at the 2.00 its when no matter how hard you try it will not work

4 hours ago, rendestroi95 said:

I don't believe that anymore... the ACDC gig ended his voice. Everytime he even tries a higher note with rasp, this strange shit happens

Heard that yesterday when comparing this with the Huston gig. It hurts just listening to it. I really think he blew his voice with AC/DC. But on the other hand his voice is more nasal now and comes through the mix pretty good, I feel he is really trying not to "mickey it". 

You can really tell cause his articulation is way better, not so much open throat like before.

Edited by jockethebastard

19 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

Too much rasp doesn't fit with november rain.

November Rain always needs alot of rasp, that makes or brakes that song. The "lovers always come...." part in particular needs to be screamed out. :)

Edited by jockethebastard
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rendestroi95 said:

If the AC/DC shows "ended his voice" you would have noticed it during the AC/DC tour. But listen to Philly. The last AC/DC show was one of the strongest. You don't know what you're talking about. Please don't chat nonesense.

Why can't people separate. Just because Axl isn't putting as much effort into live performances 70 shows into a tour, doesn't mean he's "lost his voice" that opinion is quite literally "fake news." (I hate the phrase but it's actually relevant to this topic.)

Glottal compression only occurs correctly if you warm up before a show. He's obviously not doing that anymore.

Edited by AlexC
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Torb said:

why on earth would anyone search youtube videos or whatever other recordings of axl's nonsense solo career (when he was having very obvious and annoying voice issues, chosen by him or not) when you have at least two terrific professional recordings of GUNS N ROSES playing this song?

even the audience recordings of this song from the GNR 1991 tour are far superior than anything ever done by axl since

14 hours ago, rendestroi95 said:

That didn't sound bad to me. Am I missing something? It's live.. Better than Mickey

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

That didn't sound bad to me. Am I missing something? It's live.. Better than Mickey

Sure wasnt bad. Watching that vid from 2010 yes his voice was much better..but everything else was worse. DJ Ashba instead of Slash, butchered solos, an awful line up overall. And the awful moustache was there. I don't think many people realize how lucky we are that it's gone, it could come back anytime!:lol:

If I had to choose I'd pick seeing a 2017 show over a 2010 one.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown