Matt Sorum's Drumming on Use Your Illusion - Yay or Nay?

Matt Sorum's Drumming  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love him. He's MY GN'R drummer. 

Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff, Matt, Dizzy. The UYI albums are my jam big time. 

Some Fleetwood Mac fans are Lyndsey Buckingham, others Peter Green etc. Depends on your era. Steve has more swing? Yes! Steve is better suited to AFD? Of course! Matt on those epics, fucking mega-yes. IMO. Different styles of music call on a different drummer. Guitar players can adapt like Slizzy, less interplay on UYI and more chords at the back throwing epic licks out there cos those songs called for it. Thats how they were written. Etc

• Like 2

Oh, people are complaining about Matts fills.

Can you guys name any album that has such memorable drum parts? Just a few.  Like it or not, what he did became a signature of the album, I'm not sure it would be the same without him even trough I'd love to listen what would Steven do on stuff  like November Rain.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 1:15 PM, EvanG said:

Yeah, him constantly nodding off behind his drum kit, and not knowing how to play the songs would have sounded great.

Bullshit. Everyone was strung out back then and had HUGE issues. How LONG did it take Axl to record HIS stuff? Yea.....

Oh and it seems to me like he could play the songs just fine.... : 

• Like 1

On 22/06/2017 at 10:45 PM, default_ said:

Oh, people are complaining about Matts fills.

Can you guys name any album that has such memorable drum parts? Just a few.  Like it or not, what he did became a signature of the album, I'm not sure it would be the same without him even trough I'd love to listen what would Steven do on stuff  like November Rain.

Who's Next?

This for example,

dududududududududuudududuududududududu '''The best I ever haaad''.

10 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

You chose to write that. Thats even sadder. Sorry. 

Hey, I'm just quoting bullshit. 

But like Axl said: opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one.

Honestly, I kinda like Matt right now. He DID improve a lot of his chops, skills etc... and he did alright on the UYI stuff, don't get me wrong. But man... No fucking way you prefer it to the artistic naivety of a Steven Adler. That IS/WAS GNR.

Matt in the equation (as much as you can like that...) means a spurious, totally altered experience. In other words, not GNR anymore.

Edited by AncientEvil80

On 2017-6-24 at 4:26 PM, AncientEvil80 said:

Bullshit. Everyone was strung out back then and had HUGE issues. How LONG did it take Axl to record HIS stuff? Yea.....

Oh and it seems to me like he could play the songs just fine.... : 

It's well documented that both Slash and Duff weren't exactly tea drinkers either at the time, but there's a difference in knowing how to play a song and not knowing how to play it. It's evident on those albums that Slash and Duff knew how to play the material seeing as they play on almost every song and from what we know Steven couldn't keep it up, so unless those stories aren't true, don't call bullshit because it's not like you were there. 

Edited by EvanG

I don't like the guy at all. but his drumming at UYI is damn good. listened to Estranged a few days ago, and man I was thinking about how good the drumming is. same about Locomotive, Breakdown or Coma. monsters.

• Like 1

I think we can conclude that most people liked him as the drummer. It's also a bit biased probably, because a lot of folks started getting into GnR when he was the drummer, so it goes hand in hand with people's nostalgia.

Edited by EvanG

Many ppl seem to bash Matt but seem to forget UYI's were what they were, EPIC, vastly because of Matt.

Matt's drummig is not only one of the highlights, but one of the trademarks of UYI's.  When ppl point out his drumming, they usually point out YCBM and NR as ref points.

But hey, listen to Right next door, Back off bitch, Double talkin, Perfect crime, Breakdown, Shotgun blues, Get in the ring, Garden of Eden, Bad Apples,of course YCBM....Matt never gets the credit he deserves.

Adler doesn't have tha boombastic sound to make those songs reach those hights. Frank doesn't have the technique.

Matt was the perfect fit for GNR shame he isn't there now. Just like technically Farts is not bad, but Gilby was MUCH better fit overall.

• Like 1

I would also give my left testicle to hear Popcorn play on Double Talkin' Jive, 14 Years, Get in the Ring, Locomotive and So Fine. I feel like how one of the previous comments mentioned (sorry don't remember who it was) said how the drums on the Illusion albums just kind of blended into the background unless they were the focal point (hello You Could Be Mine intro) where as on Appetite those fuckers were heard. I think what speaks for itself is how whenever I've listened to KOHD or Don't Cry I've listened to the Ritz and Felt Forum performances retrospectively instead of the studio versions and how Civil War is one of the most liked songs off of both albums, for fuck sake you can't have a discussion about Live Era without hearing about it being excluded. 

11 hours ago, 98izzark said:

I would also give my left testicle to hear Popcorn play on Double Talkin' Jive, 14 Years, Get in the Ring, Locomotive and So Fine. I feel like how one of the previous comments mentioned (sorry don't remember who it was) said how the drums on the Illusion albums just kind of blended into the background unless they were the focal point (hello You Could Be Mine intro) where as on Appetite those fuckers were heard. I think what speaks for itself is how whenever I've listened to KOHD or Don't Cry I've listened to the Ritz and Felt Forum performances retrospectively instead of the studio versions and how Civil War is one of the most liked songs off of both albums, for fuck sake you can't have a discussion about Live Era without hearing about it being excluded. 

Never too late. Go visit Adler and let him play over the CD's. 

On 6/26/2017 at 6:24 AM, EvanG said:

I think we can conclude that most people liked him as the drummer. It's also a bit biased probably, because a lot of folks started getting into GnR when he was the drummer, so it goes hand in hand with people's nostalgia.

Agreed. UYI 2 was my intro to the band and that album is still my favorite guns record.

• Like 1