GUNS N' ROSES LIVE AT THE APOLLO THEATER IN NYC, JULY 20TH

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

Smh...stop with the semantics already.

The classic 5 lineup is as original as GN'R gets....just because they had some rift raft lineup calling themselves GN'R for a few short months back in the mid 80's doesn't mean it was GN'R.

Even the band themselves will  tell you they really didn't  become GN'R and a real band until  they made that road trip together.  So calling that early incarnation of a band "original"  is even less authentic than calling New GN'R the original band....so please stop with the nonsense already. 

It isn't semantics though. Axl and Izzy are original members. They founded the band. It was named before Duff, Slash and Adler came on board. There are band photos and they even played live together. 

It doesn't matter if Duff and Slash have called themselves original members in the past. That doesn't make it true. Those two said a lot of things after they left GNR, and a lot of it was false. Like the entire fiasco over signing over the rights to the name under duress prior to a show.

20 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

It isn't semantics though. Axl and Izzy are original members. They founded the band. It was named before Duff, Slash and Adler came on board. There are band photos and they even played live together. 

It doesn't matter if Duff and Slash have called themselves original members in the past. That doesn't make it true. Those two said a lot of things after they left GNR, and a lot of it was false. Like the entire fiasco over signing over the rights to the name under duress prior to a show.

Did that group of guys release anything at all? Professionally record anything? Play anywhere outside of LA County? Anywhere outside of California? Did they have a logo? Was their name even trademarked? Was there a written contract legally forming said band?

Just curious as to why Slash and Duff would years later have to sign over their rights to the band's name if they weren't part of its founding. If they weren't founders they must've had some great negotiation skills and foresight to get an equal share of the name with people that did found it. Pretty remarkable business acumen considering their substance intake and age at the time.

Edited by Martin Riggs
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Did that group of guys release anything at all? Professionally record anything? Play anywhere outside of LA County? Anywhere outside of California? Did they have a logo? Was their name even trademarked? Was there a written contract legally forming said band?

Just curious as to why Slash and Duff would years later have to sign over their rights to the band's name if they weren't part of its founding. If they weren't founders they must've had some great negotiation skills and foresight to get an equal share of the name with people that did found it. Pretty remarkable business acumen considering their substance intake and age at the time.

See here: http://gnrontour.com/setlistalm85.htm for links to flyers and the lineup at the time.

Getting a record deal and legalizing everything doesn't mean it didn't exist prior. 

People will always associate the classic lineup, and to some extent Sorum and Dizzy to the "real" GNR or the definitive lineup. Because those are the guys who made the band who they are. I recognize that. And for a long time I considered the AfD lineup as the "real" GNR. But I've softened that stance. The "real" GNR is the current lineup. MY preferred GNR will always be the five guys on AfD. 

Edited by GnR Chris

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

See here: http://gnrontour.com/setlistalm85.htm for links to flyers and the lineup at the time.

So the answer to all of my questions is no. (Edit: Well technically I was off on one thing...one of that group's shows during its month long existence as a live band took place in Anaheim which is in Orange County)

Slash, Duff and Steven were equal partners when GNR became an official & legally recognized name and entity. Another term for that is a founding member. To say otherwise when talking about a professional band in Los Angeles, CA trying to make it big is not only incorrect but purposefully idiotic imo. 

Edited by Martin Riggs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tsinindy said:

None really, just a promo show for Sirius.  

That- and the historic nature of the venue adds a little extra "juice" too (IMHO). I had been wanting Guns to do something like this ever since acts like Neil Young, etc. played Carnegie Hall a few years back. Nice "feather in the cap" to play the Apollo IMHO...

5 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

So the answer to all of my questions is no. (Edit: Well technically I was off on one thing...one of that group's shows during its month long existence as a live band took place in Anaheim which is in Orange County)

Slash, Duff and Steven were equal partners when GNR became an official & legally recognized name and entity. Another term for that is a founding member. To say otherwise when talking about a professional band in Los Angeles, CA trying to make it big is not only incorrect but purposefully idiotic imo. 

I noticed some verbiage in the original NITL promos where they describe Axl as the founder and Slash/Duff as original members. Who knows if the wordplay has any legal significance or if Duff/Slash approved it just to help the redhead save face after agreeing to the reunion.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

The last time...
My god, Axl must of been merry as fuck, the amount Howard was trying to flirt it up with Erin! He's punched dudes for much less....
It's a pretty hilarious call in, would be amazing if the "difficult negotiations" was more down to the fact of securing an interview ! 
Do we think, any chance? It is a special birthday, so...

17 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Any word as to how how Nightrain members are supposed to be able to get a crack at tickets?

Been wondering that myself. Also, does anyone think there is a chance that the Sirius show is scheduled for 20th because they will do a AFD 30 show on 21st in LA with Steven + Izzy?  :nervous:

23 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Any word as to how how Nightrain members are supposed to be able to get a crack at tickets?

I was still trying to find something out for you on that and haven't heard anything :/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stizzy said:

Been wondering that myself. Also, does anyone think there is a chance that the Sirius show is scheduled for 20th because they will do a AFD 30 show on 21st in LA with Steven + Izzy?  :nervous:

Who knows with them.. This could be a 30th anniversary show either way.. At a small indoor venue like this in New York they may not even come on stage until midnight which would be the 21st. 

Just now, RussTCB said:

I was still trying to find something out for you on that and haven't heard anything :/

I'm baaaack ;) Arrived home safe and sound late Sunday night.. Thanks for looking out homie ;)

• Like 3

On 6/24/2017 at 2:57 PM, GnR Chris said:

Did Axl and Izzy play as GNR with tracii guns?

On 24.6.2017 at 9:47 PM, GnR Chris said:

Getting a record deal and legalizing everything doesn't mean it didn't exist prior. 

People will always associate the classic lineup, and to some extent Sorum and Dizzy to the "real" GNR or the definitive lineup. Because those are the guys who made the band who they are. I recognize that. And for a long time I considered the AfD lineup as the "real" GNR. But I've softened that stance. The "real" GNR is the current lineup. MY preferred GNR will always be the five guys on AfD. 

Basically they were bitchin' around with band members and band names at the time. That's nothing new. Slash even joined and leaved the band before they come into line with the name. Just because he and Steven joined the band a month later again and the band choose to keep the name, doesn't make them less of original members. Guns N Roses were the five guys that lasts longer than that period. They were looking for the right people and the right name till they found each other. That's when GNR was born. 

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Who knows with them.. This could be a 30th anniversary show either way.. At a small indoor venue like this in New York they may not even come on stage until midnight which would be the 21st. 

I'm baaaack ;) Arrived home safe and sound late Sunday night.. Thanks for looking out homie ;)

Oh, dear! I never thought of that! :wacko: Thank you, Tom!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Now that's a thought.

They come out at midnight, play AFD from A to Z....(little over 1 hour show)

Now making that a private show would sort of make sense....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Now that's a thought.

They come out at midnight, play AFD from A to Z....(little over 1 hour show)

Now making that a private show would sort of make sense....

That's my guess for this; they're gonna play AFD front to back, then probably do it every so often on the NA after that.

• Like 4