GUNS N' ROSES LIVE AT THE APOLLO THEATER IN NYC, JULY 20TH

For anybody getting your hopes up for Izzy and/or Steven, listen to the promo spot they have run on the channel on SiriusXM.  It says that it is a special concert with Axl, Slash, Duff "and the rest of Guns n' Roses."  You'd think that if there was going to be a special appearance, they would at least hint at it and not throw them in with "those random people playing instruments on stage."

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

For anybody getting your hopes up for Izzy and/or Steven, listen to the promo spot they have run on the channel on SiriusXM.  It says that it is a special concert with Axl, Slash, Duff "and the rest of Guns n' Roses."  You'd think that if there was going to be a special appearance, they would at least hint at it and not throw them in with "those random people playing instruments on stage."

I don't think Sirius would know one way or anther if Izzy or Steven would be there or not.

What's interesting is why have this show? There's already 2 shows planned at MSG later in the year. They had about 12 days off between Europe & US tour, now that this show had been added that eats into the whole bands and crews time off... Spoke to a guy who had to cancel his vacation because they got told about the show. And for what? A free show? I doubt the band are getting some lucrative paycheck just to play it. To me it makes no sense unless it was going to be special.

Edited by Axl_morris
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Axl_morris said:

What's interesting is why have this show? There's already 2 shows planned at MSG later in the year. They had about 12 days off between Europe & US tour, now that this show had been added that eats into the whole bands and crews time off... Spoke to a guy who had to cancel his vacation because they got told about the show. And for what? A free show? I doubt the band are getting some lucrative paycheck just to play it. To me it makes no sense unless it was going to be special.

I think this show is happening to try to create further demand for the upcoming NITL leg (St. Louis - San Antonio) and that is the real purpose as much if not more than the AFD 30th celebration.   It seems like this next NA Stadium leg hasn't sold so well (based at looking at Ticketmaster availabilities at these shows - and seeing that there are still tons of seats available even as the show dates near).   By having Sirius pump up GnR nationally with the GnR radio station for a couple of weeks before the tour leg starts and by publicizing the Apollo show where demand will absolutely be greater than the supply of seats available, I just think they are doing what they can to increase demand and sell as many tickets before the shows.   

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GhostOfPride said:

I think this show is happening to try to create further demand for the upcoming NITL leg (St. Louis - San Antonio) and that is the real purpose as much if not more than the AFD 30th celebration.   It seems like this next NA Stadium leg hasn't sold so well (based at looking at Ticketmaster availabilities at these shows - and seeing that there are still tons of seats available even as the show dates near).   By having Sirius pump up GnR nationally with the GnR radio station for a couple of weeks before the tour leg starts and by publicizing the Apollo show where demand will absolutely be greater than the supply of seats available, I just think they are doing what they can to increase demand and sell as many tickets before the shows.   

Ugh, your probably right!

BUT, wouldn't this be promoted by Livenation? GNR would have signed a contract and get paid regardless of how many seats sold and if livenation were pressuring them for a promo show, then you would imagine they would be promoting it & not Sirius.

Edited by Axl_morris

48 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

Ugh, your probably right!

BUT, wouldn't this be promoted by Livenation? GNR would have signed a contract and get paid regardless of how many seats sold and if livenation were pressuring them for a promo show, then you would imagine they would be promoting it & not Sirius.

My guess is that the band likely gets an additional payment from Sirius on top of the free advertising, which would make it a win from the band's perspective.   Sirius gets a chance for publicity and increased subscribers, & Livenation is happy about the whole thing as it increases demand for the upcoming shows without having to spend any additional funds on extra promotion beyond what they would normally do.     

Edited by GhostOfPride
corrected a phrase that didn't make sense

On 7/15/2017 at 3:56 AM, scooby845 said:

Don't wanna start rants but it will be nothing sadder than

1. seeing current line-up playing the show

2. not playing Appetite in its entirety

------

On the other hand, I gotta say this one is on Izzy... If he can suck it up not to get paid, Adler will be there and we will have AFD5 reunion.. So Izzy...your call!

While it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I totally understand how it's really bothersome to a lot of others.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Not sure this is necessarily true. There were no hints via promoters for when Steven showed up.  There were just the usual rumors in these forums....and even this forum was in complete shock when he was first announced in his initial show.

From the band's/promoter's perspective....given the history of Steven and/or Izzy with the band, it would be a  risk to announce either of them as being guest performers before the show in case something were to happen and they didn't show up, etc...plus, as others have said, if they wanted it to be a surprise for the shock/promotional value (of future shows, etc) it wouldn't make sense to announce it before the show.  

• Like 4

Cincy baby! The literal shock that ran through the crowd was amazing, when axl casually announced Steven f'n Adler! The song slowly built up energy , and when the crowd recovered from the initial shock it was amazing / overwhelming/ joyous( still hav it on my phone?) very special moment,( getting exactly what you prayed for on Christmas as a kid feeling

• Like 3

I really was walking into the stadium( first time there, lived in cincy my whole life) feeling great to see the guys and selfishly wishing Izzy or Steven should be there, but happy just to see them live for once in my life, but that's the kind of guys Axl , Slash, and Duff are( if they knew we wanted it so bad, they could do it and they did,God bless them! USA!

17 hours ago, Axl_morris said:

I don't think Sirius would know one way or anther if Izzy or Steven would be there or not.

They are getting a ton in advertisements, that will boost ticket sales in the states, I think the band knew they wanted to do a AFD show and having already done something cool on the west coast it seemed natural to move the celebration to the east. 

But again the advertisement on xm has been great. There are still people who just found out Slash is back so even though the show seems pointless they are getting a sponsor and cheap advertisement. 

Im sure they were well advised on this 

In all honesty if they don't do anything special for this gig and the band ends 2017 without acknowledging the 30th anniversary of AFD or hinting at new music or something then it's beyond obvious they don't give a flying fuck about the fans and are just in it for $$$$$$$$$$$. They are cashing in and that's all they care about. I mean as cool as it is that Slash and Axl are back together they gotta do something different. In a very real way it has become the laziest "reunion" ever. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bono said:

In all honesty if they don't do anything special for this gig and the band ends 2017 without acknowledging the 30th anniversary of AFD or hinting at new music or something then it's beyond obvious they don't give a flying fuck about the fans and are just in it for $$$$$$$$$$$. They are cashing in and that's all they care about. I mean as cool as it is that Slash and Axl are back together they gotta do something different. In a very real way it has become the laziest "reunion" ever. 

Sad but true, although I'm trying really hard not to feed my expectations this time.

14 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

They are getting a ton in advertisements, that will boost ticket sales in the states, I think the band knew they wanted to do a AFD show and having already done something cool on the west coast it seemed natural to move the celebration to the east. 

But again the advertisement on xm has been great. There are still people who just found out Slash is back so even though the show seems pointless they are getting a sponsor and cheap advertisement. 

Im sure they were well advised on this 

No question. I had 4 tickets to Hershey I needed to sell. Been listed for 2 months. A pair sold the first day the Sirius channel launched. The second pair sold yesterday. Could be a coincidence, but I'll take it either way. 

6 minutes ago, mrw80 said:

The Kills are opening apparently. 

Where are you getting this info on timing and opening act?

I was lucky enough to score tickets to this event, and haven't heard any of this.  All Sirius has communicated were the check in times, and start and approx. end times for the event - 9:00 - 12:30.  Must check in by 8, and be seated by 8:30.

I do see that The Kills will be in Brooklyn the next night.