UYI - Should've been three albums.

15 hours ago, EvanG said:

It doesn't really matter over how many albums you spread it out. It should have been one album, they should have left the filler out.

GNR doesn't have any filler on their albums.  They hardly have any albums.  Be glad they got out what they did when they did.  It's not gonna happen again.

3 hours ago, Loot Man said:

I think UYI is great, but it would be absolutely perfect like Appetite, if there was only one tight album with best songs. 

I've tried to do that but you end up with two or three best of UYI. I guess you just ram all the singles on one disc but then you don't get DTJ or Coma. 

They emptied the tank on UYI bc they knew the band wouldn't be together much longer for whatever the reason...if they were more in control and had a vision past what bar they were drinking at that night then they could have released one polished album, but the way things were going it seemed likely that this was it. 

• Like 1

I think its more a case that after AFD blew up, it was a case of too much too soon, let's forget it wasn't weeks or even 12 months between AFD and illusions being released, it was years! That's a lot of down time to drink yourself into a stupor, or get loaded on drugs and get yourself a real nasty habit! The fact that illusions got released and then they toured it for 2.5 years is a minor miracle! 

if they only released half of it, there's a good chance we wouldn't have got the second half because by the time the tour was over, duff was almost dead from his pancreas exploding, slash needing a pace maker etc 

lets face it, this bunch of fuck ups over exceeded what even they thought they could do! The fact that dominated and did what they did considering their histories, and addictions plus the fact they are all still here is a minor miracle! 

People say oh "if they did this and did that" we would of got more, but if they were controlled like say, Metallica, we wouldn't have had guns n roses as we know it! The chaos and unpredictability was what made them what they are and I might be part of the minority but I'm one of those who is happy with the catalogue and the story line the way it played out! 

9 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

People say oh "if they did this and did that" we would of got more, but if they were controlled like say, Metallica, we wouldn't have had guns n roses as we know it! The chaos and unpredictability was what made them what they are and I might be part of the minority but I'm one of those who is happy with the catalogue and the story line the way it played out! 

I agree. I'm also happy with the overall Gn'R catalogue, which I think of as big. 

Point is the UYI material, theoretically speaking, would have receieved better reviews (which may have helped push Axl in a better direction) if released a little differently.

75 minutes album is probably too long for a hard-rock album, regardless of quality. Then you have too many fillers  around the middle part of UYI I, and too many balads early on UYI II. 

But I agree, their vision was what made them great (and maybe will again). I used to dislike Get In The Ring due to 'immature' lyrics. Now, I find the song to be a Rock n' Roll masterpiece, guys-having-a-lough-kind-of-lyrics.

2 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

GNR doesn't have any filler on their albums. 

That's kinda subjective. Anything Goes on Appetite is filler in my opinion, and UYI definitely has filler songs too. But if you like every song they ever put out, that's awesome for you!

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

That's kinda subjective. Anything Goes on Appetite is filler in my opinion, and UYI definitely has filler songs too. But if you like every song they ever put out, that's awesome for you!

It is !

41 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Worst idea I've ever read. If anything it should've been one album.

:rofl-lol:

To make UYI one single album is the worst I idea I've ever read.

I like GNR, I'm not looking to get rid of any of their songs.  They only have 3 albums and an EP for fuck's sake.

These songs shaped my youth.  Wouldn't have missed any of them for the world !

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

It is !

To make UYI one single album is the worst I idea I've ever read.

I like GNR, I'm not looking to get rid of any of their songs.  They only have 3 albums and an EP for fuck's sake.

These songs shaped my youth.  Wouldn't have missed any of them for the world !

I said if anything. Not that I want that to be the case. But if there were to be a change I'd rather them reduce it than spread it over three and include more covers.

To make 3 out of 2 makes only sense if using extended versions such as 14 Years with the long outro and adding a second NR but in it's 18 min. alt. version.

Then ad Shadow of your love, Crash Diet and other unreleased songs of that eras to fill them.

Edited by Free Bird

On 6/22/2017 at 0:49 PM, Fin said:

Album 1 (41 min)

1. Get in to the ring 

2. Shotgun Blues

3. Pretty Tied Up

4. Breakdown

5. Perfect Crime

6. So Fine

7. Double Takin' Jive

8. Coma

Album 2 (42 min)

1. Since I don't Have You (Cover)

2. Down On The Farm (Cover)

3. Ain't It Fun (Cover)

4. Civil War

5. Garden Of Eden

6. Bad Apples

7. Knockin' On Heavens Door (Cover)

8. Estranged

Album 3 (40 min)

1. Right Next Door To Hell

2. Dust n' Bones

3. Dead Horse

4. Don't Damn Me

5. 14 Years

6. Yesterdays

7. Attitude (Cover)

8. The Garden

9. Locomotive

Remaing UYI songs to an extra material / b-side album. 

Such a terrible listing, yeah just what GNR needed more covers on UYI LOL

And you left out Nov Rain one of the bands biggests hits 

You can't be serious.

Edited by gnfnr2k
  • Like 1

UYI I, II and III. *Updated*. 

Album 1 (45 min)

1. Get In The ring 

2. Shotgun Blues

3. Pretty Tied Up

4. Breakdown

5. Don't Cry

6. Perfect Crime

7. So Fine

8. Double Takin' Jive

9. Coma

Album 2 (46 min)

1. Since I don't Have You (Cover)

2. Down On The Farm (Cover)

3. Ain't It Fun (Cover)

4. Civil War

5. Garden Of Eden

6. Bad Apples

7. Knockin' On Heavens Door (Cover)

8. Estranged

9. You Could Be Mine

Album 3 (48 min)

1. Right Next Door To Hell

2. Dust n' Bones

3. Dead Horse

4. Don't Damn Me

5. 14 Years

6. Yesterdays

7. Attitude (Cover)

8. November Rain

9. The Garden

10. Locomotive

Inserted a couple of songs. Don't Cry is a very good bridge to Perfect Crime. YCBM and NR insterted as well. This is as perfect as it gets, I think. Re-release the remastered UYIs this way, thx. Will blow the roof off. 

12 hours ago, Use Your Delusion 1 said:

tbh the band could've still released two albums and cut out the filler (I'm thinking Don't Cry pt2, Back off Bitch, My World, Shotgun Blues and Get in the Ring especially).

UYI 1 is far stronger, actually an incredible record.

Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch are annoying fillers on UYI I.

Don't Cry pt 2, My World on UYI II. Get In The Ring could have been released without the rants and audience, otherwise it's not a filler. Shotgun Blues is a solid rocker. 

Spagetti Incident has plenty of fillers, but also a few gems to be find. 

On 6/23/2017 at 5:13 AM, IncitingChaos said:

They emptied the tank on UYI bc they knew the band wouldn't be together much longer for whatever the reason...if they were more in control and had a vision past what bar they were drinking at that night then they could have released one polished album, but the way things were going it seemed likely that this was it. 

Yep. I believe that to be accurate. If not the whole band aware of it- then Axl's camp and the label anyway. Worth remembering Steven was gone in '90, Izzy in '91, and both Slash and Duff had near death experiences during those years. Axl had his own issues, etc. It wasn't that crazy a notion despite all the "larger than life" success-type stuff they had going on publicly...